Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Study Plans/Time etc

Options
  • 20-05-2015 11:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hey guys,

Just wondering how long ye reckon we should be spending studying, for the next two weeks!
    I'd like to hear other people's take on it, since everyone i know is studying morning to night, which is off putting because i simply can't do that! I definitely believe in the quality of study you do, over the quantity, but maybe everyone has the right approach.
    I know some people who barely get any sleep, i don't know how they do it..
    I'm aiming for well into the 500's, and I've worked hard in both 5th and 6th year, whereas a lot of people tend to only start their study properly in Leaving Cert.
    So, I'm feeling pretty prepared overall, but I find it worrying how much study people seem to be doing compared to me.

Any feedback would be appreciated :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

So, I'm feeling pretty prepared overall, but I find it worrying how much study people seem to be doing compared to me.
    Don't.

I would agree totally with you on quality over quantity.

I would take very little notice of the "I was studying from the time I went home until 2 a.m.!" people ... if it's really true, they're gonna end up past the point of exhaustion by June, but it's more likely that a lot of it is this kind of study:

7afeCL.jpg

Over the next few weeks, try to
    • Get a full night's sleep each night
    • Eat properly (the odd treat won't do you any harm, but try not to snack-binge, and you're actually better off staying away from the Red Bull etc.)
    • Get fresh air and exercise every day, even if it's only a couple of 10-15 minutes *brisk* walks each day (I'm sure the dog won't complain; if you don't have a dog, borrow the neighbour's! :p)
    • Study properly when you are studying; forget about it when you're not. Be realistic about what you need to do, but also about how much you can do before the Law of Diminishing Marginal Returns kicks in fully, at which stage exercise, sleep or just relaxing may actually be more beneficial

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭dazzadazza

I'd be very interested in hearing what people are doing. I think I'll just set myself a to do list for each day and take as long as I need. I might also go into school and do some one on one work with some teachers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

You're me in a nutshell. :) I was the same in LC, kept my head well above the water in Fifth Year and worked pretty hard throughout Sixth Year. When it came to the time after the orals, right before the LC, I found it very difficult to focus and study at anywhere near the same levels as the likes of September, mainly because I knew most things and found it boring going through the same things again. And I was a bit disconcerted by all the people staying home from school supposedly studying from the crack of dawn to the early hours of the morning, when I was faithfully going to school everyday because I felt less guilty than feebly attempting study at home. :p If you've been working throughout the year, you've probably been working right; the best way to retain information is to keep going over it, which you've probably been doing. :)

Like most things, it's a case of different strokes for different strokes. For me personally, I know that I have to work steadily all along, even when it comes to college exams, as cramming just doesn't suit me. Others can cram very efficiently and do very well (don't think anyone actually has the capacity to study efficiently for 14 hours a day though). Hope this helps, best of luck with it anyway. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭ThatsTheShtuff

Slow Show wrote: »
    You're me in a nutshell. :) I was the same in LC, kept my head well above the water in Fifth Year and worked pretty hard throughout Sixth Year. When it came to the time after the orals, right before the LC, I found it very difficult to focus and study at anywhere near the same levels as the likes of September, mainly because I knew most things and found it boring going through the same things again. And I was a bit disconcerted by all the people staying home from school supposedly studying from the crack of dawn to the early hours of the morning, when I was faithfully going to school everyday because I felt less guilty than feebly attempting study at home. :p If you've been working throughout the year, you've probably been working right; the best way to retain information is to keep going over it, which you've probably been doing. :)

Like most things, it's a case of different strokes for different strokes. For me personally, I know that I have to work steadily all along, even when it comes to college exams, as cramming just doesn't suit me. Others can cram very efficiently and do very well (don't think anyone actually has the capacity to study efficiently for 14 hours a day though). Hope this helps, best of luck with it anyway. :)

That sums me up perfectly!
    I haven't seen a lot of my friends for the last 2 months because they stayed at home to study, which pressured me a lot as I felt I wasn't getting nearly as much done as them, and I'd have guilty missing school.
    I ended up getting a lot of stuff done by going to school, attending all my classes, and going to after school study til 9 every night!
    All I'm hoping is the 2 years of hard work stand to me, and my results aren't defined by this 2 weeks that most say will 'make or break' you!

Advertisement