Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self install?

Options
  • 20-05-2015 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭

Hi, my partner just ordered eVision and eFibre for our apartment which had eFibre with the previous tenants. There is a shiny new wall socket and the landlord and sales confirmed that it was working. I'm wondering would it be possible to install the equipment ourselves, as the first date I was given for an install on the order form was in mid-June, and I'd ideally like to have it up and running by the weekend :pac:.

I understand eircom's preference to have the install carried out by trained professionals to ensure proper service, but as basically the same service was fully working in the past I can't foresee any issues. For us it would be preferable to have 'half a service' running until the technician can visit in a month than no service at all for a month. I'd be happy if I could just get internet up and running for now.

Would greatly appreciate it if anything can be done here!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

TheChizler wrote: »
    Hi, my partner just ordered eVision and eFibre for our apartment which had eFibre with the previous tenants. There is a shiny new wall socket and the landlord and sales confirmed that it was working. I'm wondering would it be possible to install the equipment ourselves, as the first date I was given for an install on the order form was in mid-June, and I'd ideally like to have it up and running by the weekend :pac:.

I understand eircom's preference to have the install carried out by trained professionals to ensure proper service, but as basically the same service was fully working in the past I can't foresee any issues. For us it would be preferable to have 'half a service' running until the technician can visit in a month than no service at all for a month. I'd be happy if I could just get internet up and running for now.

Hi TheChizler

I fully understand your views on this and it does make sense - however there is no self install process or procedure in place for efibre broadband and at present this is a feature eircom can't offer you. I know that in the end of the day is works out easier for both yourself & eircom however there are specific conditions that require a technician call out.

I have previously provided feedback in efforts to introduce a self install feature which I am being told is being seriously considered for the future but at this moment in time I'm sorry to say I can't offer you better news

If you would like to PM me your order/account number I'll check to see if there is an earlier appointment with the network crews in your area however this is something I can't offer a guarantee with

Cheers
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Hi TheChizler

I fully understand your views on this and it does make sense - however there is no self install process or procedure in place for efibre broadband and at present this is a feature eircom can't offer you. I know that in the end of the day is works out easier for both yourself & eircom however there are specific conditions that require a technician call out.

I have previously provided feedback in efforts to introduce a self install feature which I am being told is being seriously considered for the future but at this moment in time I'm sorry to say I can't offer you better news

If you would like to PM me your order/account number I'll check to see if there is an earlier appointment with the network crews in your area however this is something I can't offer a guarantee with

Cheers
    Al
    Thanks Alan,

I appreciate that there are invariably reasons for setups like this. We haven't got an order number yet, just the email saying 'thank you and we'll be in contact in the next few days regarding installation'. If we don't have success with that phone call I'll certainly get back to you. Thanks again for answering my question.

Hi TheChizler

Cheers
    Al
    Thanks Alan,

I appreciate that there are invariably reasons for setups like this. We haven't got an order number yet, just the email saying 'thank you and we'll be in contact in the next few days regarding installation'. If we don't have success with that phone call I'll certainly get back to you. Thanks again for answering my question.
    No worries TheChizler

When you do get the order number please PM me and I'll do my best for you

Cheers
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

I know that in the end of the day is works out easier for both yourself & eircom however there are specific conditions that require a technician call out.
    I'd love to hear those conditions. When we had it installed recently the technician arrived to the house with a new modem plugged it in, turned it on and left. Are you honestly saying it takes a technician to plug in a few wires and turn a modem on?

Kavrocks wrote: »
    I know that in the end of the day is works out easier for both yourself & eircom however there are specific conditions that require a technician call out.
    I'd love to hear those conditions. When we had it installed recently the technician arrived to the house with a new modem plugged it in, turned it on and left. Are you honestly saying it takes a technician to plug in a few wires and turn a modem on?
    Hi Kavrocks - Ultimately I can't offer you or debate the official operational reasoning for the requirement of installation technicians. In youir case it seems there was not a heavy requirment for a technicain but I suppose It's safer to have a technician if in the event that more cabling is required or if the preferred location of the modem is in a bedroom/office rather than hall where the socket currently is (which happens a lot), there's also no extra cost for connection by the technician.

Cheers
    Al

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

Hi Kavrocks - Ultimately I can't offer you or debate the official operational reasoning for the requirement of installation technicians. In youir case it seems there was not a heavy requirment for a technicain but I suppose It's safer to have a technician if in the event that more cabling is required or if the preferred location of the modem is in a bedroom/office rather than hall where the socket currently is (which happens a lot), there's also no extra cost for connection by the technician.

Cheers
    Al
    That's unfortunate. Thanks anyway for the prompt response.

Cheers
    Al
    That's unfortunate. Thanks anyway for the prompt response.
    No worries Kavrocks

Cheers
    Al

Hi Al,

I wonder would you be able to look into this actually if you don't mind? We still haven't received any account details or order number yet, just a generic email saying the install team would be in touch. I'll send a PM with the name on the order and address.

Cheers

Hi Al,

I wonder would you be able to look into this actually if you don't mind? We still haven't received any account details or order number yet, just a generic email saying the install team would be in touch. I'll send a PM with the name on the order and address.

Cheers
    Sure TheChizler

Please PM me your address, name the order is in and your email address.

Thanks
    Al

Hi Al,

Cheers
    Sure TheChizler

Thanks
    Al
    Thanks Al, sent.

• Advertisement

Hi Al,

Cheers
    Sure TheChizler

Thanks
    Al
    Thanks Al, sent.
    Thanks TheChizler

AL

Re-ordered as you suggested Al. Will get back to you as soon as I have an order no.

Re-ordered as you suggested Al. Will get back to you as soon as I have an order no.
    Cheers for the update - let me know as soon as you get an order number please

Thanks
    Al

Sent on the details there Al.

Sent on the details there Al.
    Cheers TheChizler

Following up on this now :)

Al

Re-ordered once I got off the phone with you earlier, will let you know as soon as I have an order number.

Re-ordered once I got off the phone with you earlier, will let you know as soon as I have an order number.
    Cheers TheChizler

Al

Hi Aisling/Amber,

Alan said he updated you guys on my case. We reordered eVision yesterday morning and still haven't got an order number. Should we try again? The online ordering seems to be broken (for us at least) as we've ordered three or four times now and there's still no record with sales, even when we did get an order number. Is it possible to order directly with you guys but still get the online offer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

[font=Times New Roman","serif]Hi TheChizler[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]
    I have been chasing this up for you today on behalf of my colleague Al. [/font]

[font=Times New Roman","serif] [/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]Still no order no available to us at present however this can take 24 - 48hrs to generate on our system.[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]I will continue to keep a close eye on this for you & get back to you as soon as I have an update with an app date.
    [/font]

[font=Times New Roman","serif]Thanks[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]Tony[/font]

Hi TheChizler

I have been chasing this up for you today on behalf of my colleague Al.

Still no order no available to us at present however this can take 24 - 48hrs to generate on our system.

I will continue to keep a close eye on this for you & get back to you as soon as I have an update with an app date.

Thanks

Tony

Ok thanks Tony, I'll give it until tomorrow!

• Advertisement

Hey Tony, we haven't received an order number yet, can you please check with sales to see if there's any record of any of our applications? We've been trying this for over 9 days now. Is it the case that we just can't avail of eVision? I'm loyal to eircom mainly because of the great support here, but we will have to start looking at other providers if sales can't process our order. Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Hey Tony, we haven't received an order number yet, can you please check with sales to see if there's any record of any of our applications? We've been trying this for over 9 days now. Is it the case that we just can't avail of eVision? I'm loyal to eircom mainly because of the great support here, but we will have to start looking at other providers if sales can't process our order. Thank you.
    Hi TheChizler

I have just been speaking with our online team & can confirm your order has been received.

My colleague from our online team will be in touch with you be COB today to confirm order details.

Once again apologies for the inconvenience.

Thanks

Ash

Hi TheChizler

I have just been speaking with our online team & can confirm your order has been received.

My colleague from our online team will be in touch with you be COB today to confirm order details.

Once again apologies for the inconvenience.

Thanks

Ash

That's great Tony thank you! Great service from the boards team!

Edit: Thanks Ash

Hi Tony/Ash,

Didn't get any call before close of business last week, is there a problem? We originally ordered two weeks ago today.

Thanks

Hi Tony/Ash,

Didn't get any call before close of business last week, is there a problem? We originally ordered two weeks ago today.

Thanks
    Hi TheChizler

I'm back today so could you please PM me your order number and I'll look in to this right away

Cheers
    Al

Hi Tony/Ash,

Thanks
    Hi TheChizler

I'm back today so could you please PM me your order number and I'll look in to this right away

Cheers
    Al
    Hi again Alan,

We haven't got an order number yet, all I know is that Ash could see that it had been received.

Hi Tony/Ash,

Thanks
    Hi TheChizler

Cheers
    Al
    Hi again Alan,

We haven't got an order number yet, all I know is that Ash could see that it had been received.
    Apologies TheChizler

I'll investigate this now and get back to you as soon as possible

Cheers
    Al

Hi Tony/Ash,

Thanks
    Hi TheChizler

Cheers
    Al
    Hi again Alan,

Apologies TheChizler

Cheers
    Al
    Thanks Al.

Hi Tony/Ash,

Thanks
    Hi TheChizler

Cheers
    Al
    Hi again Alan,

Apologies TheChizler

Cheers
    Al
    Thanks Al.
    Thanks TheChizler - I'll be in touch with you soon

Al

• Advertisement

Hey Al, technician's here at the moment but says we should have got the modem in the post and he can't install it? Any ideas?

Advertisement