Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self install?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

TheChizler wrote: »
    Hey Al, technician's here at the moment but says we should have got the modem in the post and he can't install it? Any ideas?
    Thanks for the quick call and sorting that out for me! The job description for installing eVision arrived while we were talking so everything is installed and up and running now (eVision and eFibre). Thanks again for getting the ball rolling!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Hey Al, technician's here at the moment but says we should have got the modem in the post and he can't install it? Any ideas?
    Thanks for the quick call and sorting that out for me! The job description for installing eVision arrived while we were talking so everything is installed and up and running now (eVision and eFibre). Thanks again for getting the ball rolling!
    Delighted to hear this TheChizler :)

Hope you enjoy the service - please keep in touch & let me know if there's ever anything I can help with

Thanks
    Al

Hi again Al!

Unfortunately we've been having some problems with the connection/our F2000 gateway. At least once a day since getting eFibre installed DSL has been disconnecting and refusing to connect for the best part of an hour. I'm not sure which combination of software rebooting, unplugging works but the one thing I have to do each time is run the setup wizard before the connection restores; trying to restart DSL through the maintenance menu has never worked. It doesn't give any stats until the connection is working again, so I can't check attenuation/noise etc. I've noticed in the logs that the last message before it disconnects is about maintenance/QWMP connection which it logs as an intrusion attempt, don't know if this is related.

Edit: It happened just after 9 p.m. 3 days in a row, and just after 11 this morning.

Hi again Al!

Unfortunately we've been having some problems with the connection/our F2000 gateway. At least once a day since getting eFibre installed DSL has been disconnecting and refusing to connect for the best part of an hour. I'm not sure which combination of software rebooting, unplugging works but the one thing I have to do each time is run the setup wizard before the connection restores; trying to restart DSL through the maintenance menu has never worked. It doesn't give any stats until the connection is working again, so I can't check attenuation/noise etc. I've noticed in the logs that the last message before it disconnects is about maintenance/QWMP connection which it logs as an intrusion attempt, don't know if this is related.

Edit: It happened just after 9 p.m. 3 days in a row, and just after 11 this morning.
    Very sorry to hear this the Chizler,

I've run a number of basic tests and I can't see what could be causing the issues. There's no sign of an external fault on your line and there is no visible interference with your set-up.

I did contact technical support who have advised me to ask you to contact them as they will be able to run deeper tests in real time to establish the issue in full. You can reach support via Instant WebChat at www.eircom.ie/chatnow or on free phone 1901.

I have noted this correspondence to your account - feel free to keep me updated.

Cheers
    Al

Hi again Al!

I've run a number of basic tests and I can't see what could be causing the issues. There's no sign of an external fault on your line and there is no visible interference with your set-up.

I did contact technical support who have advised me to ask you to contact them as they will be able to run deeper tests in real time to establish the issue in full. You can reach support via Instant WebChat at www.eircom.ie/chatnow or on free phone 1901.

I have noted this correspondence to your account - feel free to keep me updated.

Cheers
    Al
    Thanks for looking into this. I'll be sure to contact them.

One more thing before I leave you alone; my girlfriend received two direct debit mandates with different mandate reference numbers, could we confirm that we'll only be charged for one of them? Cheers.

• Advertisement

Hi again Al!

Cheers
    Al

One more thing before I leave you alone; my girlfriend received two direct debit mandates with different mandate reference numbers, could we confirm that we'll only be charged for one of them? Cheers.
    No worries,

That's quite odd about the mandates, please PM me the two reference numbers and I'll look in to this.

Cheers
    Al

Hi again Al!

Cheers
    Al

No worries,

That's quite odd about the mandates, please PM me the two reference numbers and I'll look in to this.

Cheers
    Al
    No problem Al I'll do this when I get home. Thank you.

Hi again Al!

Cheers
    Al

No worries,

Cheers
    Al
    No problem Al I'll do this when I get home. Thank you.
    Cheers the Chizler,

I'm finished soon but will be back tomorrow at 10am

Al

Hi Alan, sent you a PM last night.

Cheers TheChizler

Just had confirmation that the reason why two mandates is because of the failed order which was done before the final & correct online order. The failed one was reference number ending with the digits 980. This is already terminated and there's nothing to be concerned about.

Cheers
    Al

• Advertisement

Cheers TheChizler

Just had confirmation that the reason why two mandates is because of the failed order which was done before the final & correct online order. The failed one was reference number ending with the digits 980. This is already terminated and there's nothing to be concerned about.

Cheers
    Al
    That's great to hear thanks Al!

Cheers TheChizler

Cheers
    Al
    That's great to hear thanks Al!
    Most welcome TheChizler :)
    Al

Hi again Alan,

We've just received our first bill for €190... This included the price of an eVision box for €121.95 plus VAT (€150). I'm sure there's a mistake as in the section above the equipment charge it says "free eVision box". Please would you be able to get this amended before the direct debit comes out? I've assured my girlfriend that there's a mistake but she's extremely stressed and panicked about this so I'd really appreciate a fast resolution. Thank you.

Just to update you on the connection loss story, we're waiting on a technician to arrive today as the one scheduled for last week didn't turn up. In the meantime our profile was reduced from 80 to 20 Mb/s to give the connection guaranteed stability. I've since got that raised to 50 Mb as that seems to give half decent stability with decent speeds. Hopefully it will be sorted today. I was assured by tech support that we wouldn't be charged for the time a fault was registered on our line, but the last guy I talked to had no record of a fault, so I'm not sure what the story is with that.

Hi again Alan,

We've just received our first bill for €190... This included the price of an eVision box for €121.95 plus VAT (€150). I'm sure there's a mistake as in the section above the equipment charge it says "free eVision box". Please would you be able to get this amended before the direct debit comes out? I've assured my girlfriend that there's a mistake but she's extremely stressed and panicked about this so I'd really appreciate a fast resolution. Thank you.

Just to update you on the connection loss story, we're waiting on a technician to arrive today as the one scheduled for last week didn't turn up. In the meantime our profile was reduced from 80 to 20 Mb/s to give the connection guaranteed stability. I've since got that raised to 50 Mb as that seems to give half decent stability with decent speeds. Hopefully it will be sorted today. I was assured by tech support that we wouldn't be charged for the time a fault was registered on our line, but the last guy I talked to had no record of a fault, so I'm not sure what the story is with that.
    Hi TheChizler

Thanks for posting me on this, Yes that bill does not sound right at all. I will investigate and get back to you later today.

Cheers
    Al

Hi Al, is there any update on this? The direct debit is due to come out this day next week.

Just another update on the DSL issues, I called support again on Saturday night when sync had gone down, they logged a fault again and said someone would be out to have a look. I got the "the engineer has advised us that the fault affecting your broadband SHOULD now be resolved" text this morning but no technician has called, so to summarize:

June 4th: KN installed eFibre & eVision, xDSL tester said connection was excellent.
    June 10th: eircom technician came out to test the line, megger said 0 errors.
    June 16th: Appointment scheduled from 8 am to 1 pm, got the above text a bit after 10 but no call-out.
    June 25th: Appointment scheduled from 8 am to 1 pm, no call-out. KN technician rang at 1:15 when I was on the way back to work saying that if the eircom technician on the 10th couldn't find anything then he didn't know what he could do, and that he would talk to his supervisor and get back to me.
    June 26th: Got the above text at 10:42.
    June 29th: Got the above text at 10:42 after logging a fault on Saturday.

The text system might need looking at...

Hi Al, is there any update on this? The direct debit is due to come out this day next week.

Just another update on the DSL issues, I called support again on Saturday night when sync had gone down, they logged a fault again and said someone would be out to have a look. I got the "the engineer has advised us that the fault affecting your broadband SHOULD now be resolved" text this morning but no technician has called, so to summarize:

June 4th: KN installed eFibre & eVision, xDSL tester said connection was excellent.
    June 16th: Appointment scheduled from 8 am to 1 pm, got the above text a bit after 10 but no call-out.
    June 25th: Appointment scheduled from 8 am to 1 pm, no call-out. KN technician rang at 1:15 when I was on the way back to work saying that if the eircom technician on the 10th couldn't find anything then he didn't know what he could do, and that he would talk to his supervisor and get back to me.

Hi TheChizler

I have had it confirmed that €150 was indeed added in error and has now been removed. Sincere apologies for this.

I am awaiting clarification from our technical support department in relation to your fault reference number and as soon as I have more information I'll let you know.

Thanks

Al

Hi Al, I know it's the weekend but just updating to say we spent last night without Internet or TV as the sync problem happened again, no combination of resetting the box, restarting DSL, messing with cables worked.

The technician scheduled to come on Thursday didn't turn up, and neither of us got a call. That's three times in a row now. You've been fantastic here but unfortunately we're going to have to submit a complaint as the next step.

Gone again this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Rock 1234

Hi TheChizler,

You and your girlfriend have the right under the 1980 Consumer Act, To a service that is fit for purpose,

If you have a contract with a supplier of services you can expect that:
    • The supplier has the necessary skill to provide the service 
    • The service will be provided with proper care and diligence 
    • The materials used will be sound and that goods supplied with the service will be of merchantable quality 
    [*]
    You can read more about this online, if you have internet,

The best of luck with whatever you and your girlfriend decide to do, You both have strong consumer rights if you decide to use them 

Gone again this morning.
    I'm genuinely sorry to hear this TheChizler

I would understand your feeling on this and see why you wish to lodge a complaint. I have escalated your feedback on this to our technical support department and noted the negative experience so far and of course noted the urgency in having this resolved asap. As soon as I have more information I'll let you know.

Thanks

Al

• Advertisement

Gone again this morning.

I would understand your feeling on this and see why you wish to lodge a complaint. I have escalated your feedback on this to our technical support department and noted the negative experience so far and of course noted the urgency in having this resolved asap. As soon as I have more information I'll let you know.

Thanks

Al
    Thanks Al,

It's not so much the connection issues we're annoyed at, it's the lack of response and follow up from the technical support end. I understand much of it is contracted out which is why we were happy to give a bit of leeway up to now. But as it stands we're six/seven weeks into the contract and haven't yet achieved a reasonable level of service. But thank you for your help so far, online support has been great.

Gone again this morning.

Thanks

Al
    Thanks Al,

It's not so much the connection issues we're annoyed at, it's the lack of response and follow up from the technical support end. I understand much of it is contracted out which is why we were happy to give a bit of leeway up to now. But as it stands we're six/seven weeks into the contract and haven't yet achieved a reasonable level of service. But thank you for your help so far, online support has been great.
    I completely understand your sentiments on this TheChizler

I will get back to you as soon as I have further information

Cheers
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 24,395 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Kavrocks wrote: »
    I know that in the end of the day is works out easier for both yourself & eircom however there are specific conditions that require a technician call out.
    I'd love to hear those conditions. When we had it installed recently the technician arrived to the house with a new modem plugged it in, turned it on and left. Are you honestly saying it takes a technician to plug in a few wires and turn a modem on?
    union conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

lawred2 wrote: »
    I know that in the end of the day is works out easier for both yourself & eircom however there are specific conditions that require a technician call out.
    I'd love to hear those conditions. When we had it installed recently the technician arrived to the house with a new modem plugged it in, turned it on and left. Are you honestly saying it takes a technician to plug in a few wires and turn a modem on?
    union conditions
    Outsourced so doubt it! Think it's more the system(s?) hasn't been updated to cater for when an NTU suitable for efibre was previously installed.

jd wrote: »
    lawred2 wrote: »
    union conditions
    Outsourced so doubt it! Think it's more the system(s?) hasn't been updated to cater for when an NTU suitable for efibre was previously installed.
    That's correct jd

Also there's an obligation for the installation technician to ensure eFibre works on at least one device before leaving

Cheers
    Al

Hi TheChizler

I have had it confirmed that €150 was indeed added in error and has now been removed. Sincere apologies for this.

I am awaiting clarification from our technical support department in relation to your fault reference number and as soon as I have more information I'll let you know.

Thanks

Al
    Hi Al,

My girlfriend's account has been debited for the full amount of €190, after it was confirmed that the €150 was added in error. This really isn't acceptable, and we will be asking the bank to return the payment under SEPA rules (we will pay the correct amount manually) unless this is corrected in the next few days. She's very upset by this and we're seriously considering our options at this stage.

Thank you.

Edit: Also we were told by support that we would not be charged for the service while a fault was logged. We've had faults logged pretty much since the start with no improvement so I'm just wondering what the story is with this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Hi TheChizler

Thanks

Al
    Hi Al,

My girlfriend's account has been debited for the full amount of €190, after it was confirmed that the €150 was added in error. This really isn't acceptable, and we will be asking the bank to return the payment under SEPA rules (we will pay the correct amount manually) unless this is corrected in the next few days. She's very upset by this and we're seriously considering our options at this stage.

Thank you.

Edit: Also we were told by support that we would not be charged for the service while a fault was logged. We've had faults logged pretty much since the start with no improvement so I'm just wondering what the story is with this?
    Hi TheChizler
    Al is off for few days but I will chase this for you. I hope to have answer tomorrow, ( Friday).
    Tony

Hi TheChizler
    Al is off for few days but I will chase this for you. I hope to have answer tomorrow, ( Friday).
    Tony
    Thanks Tony,

My girlfriend has been talking to Amber on Twitter about this as well, just so you're not doubling up on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Hi TheChizler
    Tony
    Thanks Tony,

My girlfriend has been talking to Amber on Twitter about this as well, just so you're not doubling up on this.
    Yes I did see that TheChizler and Amber is chasing issue. I can update here also though.
    Tony

• Advertisement

Hi again, another update:

Technician on Friday reconnected some wires and replaced the wallplate. Reported that it was fixed. Saturday afternoon sync dropped again so rang 1901 to alert them that the problem was not fixed. All I wanted to do was report that the fault wasn't fixed and they needed to keep investigating, but the person on the end of the phone said that the problem was that our line couldn't handle the speed it was set to (~) 70 Mb D/L & 20 Mb U/L, bear in mind that this can work for days at a time and had originally been higher. He reduced the speed to 11 Mb D/L and 1 Mb U/L.

I really wouldn't considering this fixing the issue. So now our download speeds have been changed from 81 to 20 to 50 to 70 and now finally to 11 Mb/s, all the while the underlying issue has not been diagnosed. The current speeds are now set so low as to ensure that the fault does not get triggered. This final step is like a doctor saying that you've been cured of chronic pain by administering an anesthetic.

The new modem should be arriving today but we won't know if it's fixed the issue unless the speed profile is restored, what should the POA be here?

Thank you.

Advertisement