Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self install?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

TheChizler wrote: »
    Hi again, another update:

Technician on Friday reconnected some wires and replaced the wallplate. Reported that it was fixed. Saturday afternoon sync dropped again so rang 1901 to alert them that the problem was not fixed. All I wanted to do was report that the fault wasn't fixed and they needed to keep investigating, but the person on the end of the phone said that the problem was that our line couldn't handle the speed it was set to (~) 70 Mb D/L & 20 Mb U/L, bear in mind that this can work for days at a time and had originally been higher. He reduced the speed to 11 Mb D/L and 1 Mb U/L.

I really wouldn't considering this fixing the issue. So now our download speeds have been changed from 81 to 20 to 50 to 70 and now finally to 11 Mb/s, all the while the underlying issue has not been diagnosed. The current speeds are now set so low as to ensure that the fault does not get triggered. This final step is like a doctor saying that you've been cured of chronic pain by administering an anesthetic.

The new modem should be arriving today but we won't know if it's fixed the issue unless the speed profile is restored, what should the POA be here?

Thank you.
    Hi TheChizler

Apologies, I've been away for the past couple of days.

Once you have received the new modem please contact technical support via Webchat ( www.eircom.ie/chatnow ) and request the speed increase - if Webchat can't help please let me know and I'll request this on your behalf.

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Hi Al,

New gateway arrived, plugged it in, exact same issue happens. We were without internet access from midnight to half nine the next morning according to the logs. It's gone again today. Contacted support through chat Tuesday, technician contacted us yesterday, said that the line looked fine and that there was nothing more KN could do, basically told us to stop contacting support; it was probably a cordless phone or a microwave oven or something. He said that anyone that comes out to test will give us the same answer; that the line tests fine when the problem isn't happening. I asked could he change the line card at the cabinet or something and they said nothing would be done while the line tests ok. I asked could they do a prolonged test to catch the intermittent issue and he said no. I told him that I could hear noise on the landline that corresponds to when I was downloading even though there was a filter, and he said there couldn't be because his test would show it.

To say that I am unsatisfied with this response would be an understatement.

Is it possible to get the line card changed as a test? Is there a radius/authentication server somewhere that could be misconfigured for us? Could we get transferred to a different one as a test? Our account has had a few problems with it from the start, could this be related? Could our account be set up from scratch?

I just got a text to say that the fault has been cleared.

I'm going to start recording the logs from the gateway on a computer to get the times correct as the log time resets occasionally, I believe there is a way to do this on the F2000. I'm also going to script something to check connectivity intermittently to see if a pattern emerges.

The one bit of positive news is that billing have agreed to send us a cheque for the extra €150 taken, which may take up to 30 days mind. They've also agreed to credit us for the downtime, but only when the fault has been fixed.

I'd appreciate anything that can be done to make a path forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Hi Al,

New gateway arrived, plugged it in, exact same issue happens. We were without internet access from midnight to half nine the next morning according to the logs. It's gone again today. Contacted support through chat Tuesday, technician contacted us yesterday, said that the line looked fine and that there was nothing more KN could do, basically told us to stop contacting support; it was probably a cordless phone or a microwave oven or something. He said that anyone that comes out to test will give us the same answer; that the line tests fine when the problem isn't happening. I asked could he change the line card at the cabinet or something and they said nothing would be done while the line tests ok. I asked could they do a prolonged test to catch the intermittent issue and he said no. I told him that I could hear noise on the landline that corresponds to when I was downloading even though there was a filter, and he said there couldn't be because his test would show it.

To say that I am unsatisfied with this response would be an understatement.

Is it possible to get the line card changed as a test? Is there a radius/authentication server somewhere that could be misconfigured for us? Could we get transferred to a different one as a test? Our account has had a few problems with it from the start, could this be related? Could our account be set up from scratch?

I just got a text to say that the fault has been cleared.

I'm going to start recording the logs from the gateway on a computer to get the times correct as the log time resets occasionally, I believe there is a way to do this on the F2000. I'm also going to script something to check connectivity intermittently to see if a pattern emerges.

The one bit of positive news is that billing have agreed to send us a cheque for the extra €150 taken, which may take up to 30 days mind. They've also agreed to credit us for the downtime, but only when the fault has been fixed.

I'd appreciate anything that can be done to make a path forward.
    Hi TheChizler

I have passed on your message to a senior manager in our technical support team. I understand this to be of high importance to you and I will treat this as so too.

As soon as I have more information I will let you know right away. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the negative experience so far.

Many thanks

Al

Hi Al,

Any word back from the manager? The we haven't noticed the issue much in the last few days, it has happened though according to the logs. The speed profile is set so low now though that it's putting us off using it. Every time I ring up I'm assured that the line is capable of 70/80 Mb plus.

To update on the bill, it was agreed that we would be issued a cheque for the overcharged amount, however we just received the new bill and this has instead been applied as credit. Also we were due to be credited a free month for the hassle but this isn't included on the bill. My girlfriend is following this up through Twitter but I thought you should know.

Thanks.

Edit: I see that you're aware of this! :D

Hi Al,

Any word back from the manager? The we haven't noticed the issue much in the last few days, it has happened though according to the logs. The speed profile is set so low now though that it's putting us off using it. Every time I ring up I'm assured that the line is capable of 70/80 Mb plus.

To update on the bill, it was agreed that we would be issued a cheque for the overcharged amount, however we just received the new bill and this has instead been applied as credit. Also we were due to be credited a free month for the hassle but this isn't included on the bill. My girlfriend is following this up through Twitter but I thought you should know.

Thanks.

Edit: I see that you're aware of this! :D

Any chance of an update? The speed is still set at ADSL2 speeds though I've been told multiple times it's capable of 80 plus Mb/s.

• Advertisement

Hello again,

After contacting through Twitter again it turns out that it was decided (and we weren't informed) a while ago that our refund won't be issued until the next billing cycle (no mention of why it couldn't be done for the last cycle as we requested it weeks beforehand). So we will be looking at alternative options.

Any updates on the other complaint we have submitted? What's the estimated timeframe for resolution? At this stage we are feeling ignored.

Could you please send us/direct us to a copy of eircom's complaint's policy? We can't find it on the website.

Thank you.

Advertisement