Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Voting Cards

Options
  • 20-05-2015 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭

Has anyone got their voting cards yet? Everyone I have spoken to says no, and I just checked the register there and again I am not listed..

I know you can go up with your passport but still seems odd the majority of people have not got their cards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

We got ours today but my dad had his last week some time. I checked the register out of curiosity(been living and voting from here 9 years) and i was on it but my wife wasnt.......but she still got a polling card.
    I still get a card at my parents address too, i tried to get it stopped twice and they keep sending them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Yeah mine still goes to the home home too..

Glad to hear someone has got them, maybe they will arrive this week.

it is so daft isn't it with the register, you do it, and then it is applied but seems to get forgotten after a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Don't know, as I never bring it, I just have ID with me. I've checked and I'm on the register though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

Mine only arrived Monday which is way later than usual.

Just rang home and mine isn't there yet.. They seem to be cutting it close alright. I know you don't as such need them you can use ID but again just seems mad the amount of people who are saying they haven't got them, or have had to re-register over the phone... I ponder...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Everyone I know has them. Mine arrived about two weeks ago. Also have been picking up my parent's post, so I've got theirs, and all my family who emigrated, plus some alternate spellings. Piles of polling cards for me! I'll just use the one though. Couldn't be spending the whole day voting like.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,948 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Got mine last week, my first time to vote in Cork.

Feel like a local now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Mine arrived a couple of weeks ago!

Ring the Franchise office in the city or county council and check that way. The web based system can be a bit weird about finding addresses sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

Just bring proof of address and photo ID with you, the polling card is not essential. Use your vote.

Was just onto my dad and theres a card for me at his house so i now have 2, again!
    If anyone needs my spare, send me a pm lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

I got mine last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Got mine 2 weeks ago.

I'd say if you turned up with the passport on the day, they'd find your name on the list and you'd be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

My parents and brother & sister got their polling cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Milly33 wrote: »
    Has anyone got their voting cards yet? Everyone I have spoken to says no, and I just checked the register there and again I am not listed..

I know you can go up with your passport but still seems odd the majority of people have not got their cards

I got mine well over a week ago now. If you are gone off the register then you have a problem though. Polling card or not, you will not be able to vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Still waiting on mine. I am on the register, so they are cutting it pretty close in sending it out to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Ludo wrote: »
    I got mine well over a week ago now. If you are gone off the register then you have a problem though. Polling card or not, you will not be able to vote.

Surely if one gets a polling card then one is on the Register?

Yeah id say your fine if you did get your card, but I haven't got mine and checked the list and im not on it. Now I do remember like mentioned the address's can be a bit funny when checking the register so I think tis that.. Will ring the office anywho to make sure today.....

Very weird just called the country office there, and got two different things. After saying I was not on the register she said,

a letter was sent out as they were informed I was no longer living at home, in 2010 which meant I had to register. I said not defiantly not and that sure I voted last year.

then I got oh yes sorry you did register for home again and that a letter was sent out the start of last year to say I was no longer living at home and to re-register with the new address. I never got this either. And I did vote last year

Very odd, I rang the city office and she said no I am not on the reg there and I would have to apply again and that it would be too late now to vote tomorrow... Going to chance going to the place anyway tomorrow and see as I most defiantly voted last year...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I live close enough to my parents to just drive home and vote. I wouldn't go through trying to change my address because of this kind of crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Hi Milly33 if you are in county Cork they sent out a form to all households around November last year. Every member of the household was meant to fill their details. If someone didn't fill in the section and did not register elsewhere they sent a letter to the address that you last voted from asking you to confirm your details.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Malari wrote: »
    I live close enough to my parents to just drive home and vote. I wouldn't go through trying to change my address because of this kind of crap.

I've changed election address every time I moved. No problems, they always found me.

I do it when I move house though, rather than a couple of days before voting when they are bound to be under pressure and are more likely to make mistakes.

Hi Milly33 if you are in county Cork they sent out a form to all households around November last year. Every member of the household was meant to fill their details. If someone didn't fill in the section and did not register elsewhere they sent a letter to the address that you last voted from asking you to confirm your details. If you did not respond to the letter then they removed your details from the register.

See she said they sent a letter the start of last year not the end. Even still though if I had gotten one I would most defiantly have filled it out.. I never saw one, and like that she said they done this in 2010 also which I do not recall (my memory isn't great but tisnt too bad)..

I always keep it to home as at least you know home will always be there (fingers crossed) when renting you do not know... I hope I can vote now,

Miaireland wrote: »
    Hi Milly33 if you are in county Cork they sent out a form to all households around November last year. Every member of the household was meant to fill their details. If someone didn't fill in the section and did not register elsewhere they sent a letter to the address that you last voted from asking you to confirm your details. If you did not respond to the letter then they removed your details from the register.

We live in county cork and we got no letter. We're both still registered to vote in the local office.

Unfortunately, all this needed to be resolved by 5th May.

I agree though the systems in place for the register are totally inadequate. It's the same nonsense in Britain too.

.red. wrote: »
    We live in county cork and we got no letter. We're both still registered to vote in the local office.

You should have got a fold out form thing. You may have had someone call to you if you were at home.

If you can't find yourself on www.checktheregister.ie you need to phone the Franchise office in Cork County or City Council depending on where you live.

Irish addresses are tricky to find at the best of times!

City Council

Telephone: (021) 492 4107 / 492 4108 / 492 4109

County Council
    (021) 427 6891 And ask for franchise section

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

Did you register late? Maybe you are on the supplemental register. As far as I know you won't be listed on checktheregister until later but you can still vote. Call the city/county council and they should tell you if you are on the supplemental register.

As far as I knew I was registered to vote always have been, I vote all the time no matter what as I think we should.. So this is all news to me as of yesterday.. I didn't get any letter to say to register or anything most defiantly.. Ill let ye know how it goes this evening going to call up anyway

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Very busy polling station in Sundays Well earlier. Mixed ages too.

Advertisement