Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Strawberries, Blueberries, Raspberries & Blackberries

• 20-05-2015 1:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭

A thread for those of us who love fresh summer berries but don't want to pay through the nose for them. Feel free to add any berry offers from any supermarkets or shops you see them in throughout the summer

I'll begin- lidl are currently doing 100% free on blueberries, 250g for €1.79, down from €3.62
    http://www.lidl.ie/en/freshoffers.htm?action=showDetail&id=25278

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭gofasterdad

Even cheaper still : http://www.mrmiddleton.com/save-over-50-on-fruit-bushes/

€1.70 per bush is roughly the same price as a small packet of supermarket berries, look after them and you can enjoy free fruit every summer, plus you get full control over what goes into / onto your food (pesticides, fertiliser etc).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

€1.70 per bush is roughly the same price as a small packet of supermarket berries, look after them and you can enjoy free fruit every summer, plus you get full control over what goes into / onto your food (pesticides, fertiliser etc).

Right...

Good price OP thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭degsie

€1.70 per bush

Not a bad price for a bush...:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

6000% more hassle thou.....

I will stick to shop bought

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Nollog

Can you freeze them though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

great idea for a thread. the missus often pays €6 for two little tubs of blueberries, raspberries etc. has to be better value out there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭gofasterdad

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Can you freeze them though?

Yes. I just finished off the remains of last season's blackberries a few weeks ago.

I agree, it's not for everyone, and it's a little bit of work (not as much as you would imagine) but you get free berries forever if you do it right..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

sweetie wrote: »
    great idea for a thread. the missus often pays €6 for two little tubs of blueberries, raspberries etc. has to be better value out there!

We buy the Keelings 5 euro mix package. I think 4.50 is the cost of the packaging but it does give us a good mix of fruits....

There is grapes, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries in it and to be honest the little one has it all eaten in 2 days on her own

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Brilliant idea for a thread. Rarely buy berries on account of the cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Lidl 1.79 125g of raspberries

Strawberries are an awful price in this country 2 for 5€/5.50€ 227g everywhere, scandalous price though. Better deal a couple weeks back when once again Lidl had them 2 for 4€. This is a realistic price.

Should include grapes in this thread though they are another scandalous price, supermarkets please get rid off grapes with pips in them as no one likes them !!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Wha bout Cranberries, Elderberries, Gojiberries, Acai berries, Huckleberries, Mulberries, Gooseberries, Cowberries.. :confused:

If you live near a fruit farm (like me) you can usually pick up strawberries that don't make the "cut". They may be smaller or funny shaped but they are still tasty. I pick up a very large punnet down here for €5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭amacca

vicwatson wrote: »
    supermarkets please get rid off grapes with pips in them as no one likes them !!

I dunno....rightly or wrongly I'm always suspicious of pipless ones...what sort of weird ass fruit doesn't want to produce a seed?....I always think its GM (not that that has to be a bad thing but I just imagine a world where corporations completely control food supply and no one can grow their own :eek:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

snubbleste wrote: »
    Wha bout Cranberries, Elderberries, Gojiberries, Acai berries, Huckleberries, Mulberries, Gooseberries, Cowberries.. :confused:

Where can you get Acai ?? I love them !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Bigus

amacca wrote: »
    I dunno....rightly or wrongly I'm always suspicious of pipless ones...what sort of weird ass fruit doesn't want to produce a seed?....I always think its GM (not that that has to be a bad thing but I just imagine a world where corporations completely control food supply and no one can grow their own :eek:)

Apples are clones, not grown from pips,the Greeks invented splicing 3000 years ago

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Where can you get Acai ?? I love them !!
    In the Amazon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

In the Amazon

Hawhaw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭degsie

Not to mention Dingleberries :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭catgalway

Gonna keep an eye on this thread for my Mum,she always buying berries :) I do recommend planting a few fruit bushes in large pots esp Raspberries...no one told me they send shoots out under ground so you'll be discovering new plants popping up all over the place :( I'm growing Blackcurrants,Redcurrants,Blueberries & Gooseberries as well but it's early days so only had a small crop (blackcurrants) last year but in time it will increase.Got plants from Deals & euro store...nice & cheap :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭ooter

€1.79 for 250 g of blueberries in lidl at the mo, you won't get much cheaper than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

And I got 5 bars of Blueberry & seeds at the Aldi checkout for 1.79e

Its a new thing now where Aldi have all types of seeds at checkout

Whatcha talking bout at all?

"There are no commercially grown GM grapes anywhere in the world. Seedless grapes are the result of selective breeding to develop varieties with very small seeds and in many of the grapes, no seeds at all. Most seedless grapes do have seeds at some point but they do not set and produce hard outer shells.

Because most plant production of perennial crops like grapes are now produced using grafting and cutting methods, which are effectively exact clones of the mother plant material, it is becoming easier to produce seedless varieties. Obviously if a plant relies on seed to reproduce then it would not be possible to produce seedless grapes. There will always be some seedless grapes that do contain seeds and this is more likely to be the case in organic grapes."

http://www.soilassociation.org/frequentlyaskedquestions/yourquestion/articleid/2396/how-do-organic-growers-produce-seedless-grapes-without-using-gm-technology

Bigus wrote: »
    Apples are clones, not grown from pips,the Greeks invented splicing 3000 years ago

I thought poster was talking about grapes? +Do most apples not have seeds in them which could grow an apple tree if given the right conditions?

Do you mean crossbreeding? or grafting ....I though splicing happened at a genetic level and required a lab.

vicwatson wrote: »
    Whatcha talking bout at all?

"There are no commercially grown GM grapes anywhere in the world. Seedless grapes are the result of selective breeding to develop varieties with very small seeds and in many of the grapes, no seeds at all. Most seedless grapes do have seeds at some point but they do not set and produce hard outer shells.

Because most plant production of perennial crops like grapes are now produced using grafting and cutting methods, which are effectively exact clones of the mother plant material, it is becoming easier to produce seedless varieties. Obviously if a plant relies on seed to reproduce then it would not be possible to produce seedless grapes. There will always be some seedless grapes that do contain seeds and this is more likely to be the case in organic grapes."

http://www.soilassociation.org/frequentlyaskedquestions/yourquestion/articleid/2396/how-do-organic-growers-produce-seedless-grapes-without-using-gm-technology

Thank you....I feel much better about eating seedless grapes now. Genuinely didn't know this....must take quite an effort to get a plant to reproduce when the thing that allows it to reproduce sexually is being selectively weakened!

And I got 5 bars of Blueberry & seeds at the Aldi checkout for 1.79e

Its a new thing now where Aldi have all types of seeds at checkout

Saw them and the 12 pack of raisins for 99c for the chislers lunchboxes are yum

Thank you....I feel much better about eating seedless grapes now. Genuinely didn't know this....must take quite an effort to get a plant to reproduce when the thing that allows it to reproduce sexually is being selectively weakened!

They are splicing/grafting the plant, the plant isn't reproducing, it can't reproduce without seed. Enjoy your seedless grapes and don't be worrying !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭rameire

my local dealz has some fruity bushes for 1.49.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

Seen some in Mr price too on occasion, worth looking out for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

Snozberry? Whats a snozberry?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

The Food Safety Authority (FSAI) has issued a reminder to Irish consumers to boil all frozen berries before consumption after being linked to an outbreak of norovirus in Sweden.

http://www.independent.ie/life/health-wellbeing/irish-consumers-warned-to-boil-all-frozen-berries-after-lifethreatening-norovirus-outbreak-in-sweden-31244566.html

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭koriko

TheTorment wrote: »
    If you live near a fruit farm (like me) you can usually pick up strawberries that don't make the "cut". They may be smaller or funny shaped but they are still tasty. I pick up a very large punnet down here for €5

Where is this? I bet they taste just as nice as the 'perfect' berries that make the cut !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭uli84

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭trebormurf

Lidl & Aldi blueberries r pure ****e, (in fact I find most of their fruit to be poor.) They've been so long in transit from South America there's no goodness left in them. Stick um in your porridge & it stays white, no magnificent burst of purple yumminess. Stick the likes of Keelings blueberries for example in & you've a little bowl of magic. Well worth paying the extra few cent IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

trebormurf wrote: »
    Lidl & Aldi blueberries r pure ****e, (in fact I find most of their fruit to be poor.) They've been so long in transit from South America there's no goodness left in them. Stick um in your porridge & it stays white, no magnificent burst of purple yumminess. Stick the likes of Keelings blueberries for example in & you've a little bowl of magic. Well worth paying the extra few cent IMHO.

Agreed got keeling strawberries in dunnes 2 for 5 ( roughly half kg ), and got a 1 kg box of strawberries they had on offer as well ( I think they were from Spain) the difference is massive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

uli84 wrote: »
    Never gone to polostores, are their offers valid for 7 days?

Must get myself 2kg or Strawberries and Cherries.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭shot2go

has anyone bought this and what fruit bushes did ye get? would be worth it if there was blueberry's and a good mixture but id prob end up with 15 blackberry bushes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭agent graves

I bought the raspberries in lidl yesterday and they are crap.. they are very bland and slightly chewy.. good strawberries though

koriko wrote: »
    Where is this? I bet they taste just as nice as the 'perfect' berries that make the cut !

Wexford, the home of strawberries! :)

trebormurf wrote: »

Wow, my experience is always the complete opposite

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭worded

Blue berries like an acid soil. The easiest way to achieve this is to get acidic peat moss. Ask you local garden centre for some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭worded

There is nothing like the taste of fresh fruit off a bush. Mmmm roll on summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭uli84

Never gone to polostores, are their offers valid for 7 days?

Must get myself 2kg or Strawberries and Cherries.

Not that familiar with the shop but the strawberries have been at this price for ages now-i'd say offer will be on for another week at least. Strawberries are from Spain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

uli84 wrote: »
    Not that familiar with the shop but the strawberries have been at this price for ages now-i'd say offer will be on for another week at least. Strawberries are from Spain

I would rather have 1kg of Irish Strawberries than 2kg of the ones from Spain tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

I bought the blueberries (never again) ; raspberries (never again) ; strawberries & blackberries <- both found quite nice. Melons & Pineapples looked okay, never bought though.
    Think I'll stay with my local Fruit & Veg shop for all in the future again where I know the standard and quality have never failed me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭tigershould

Keelings Farm shop in a trailer at the back of the airport FTW. All fresh!

Apple juice 750ml <3
    Big punnet of strawberries €5
    Premium punnet of strawberries €8

I go for the €5 box every time. They're the odd shaped ones that don't make the cut but taste the same as the premium box.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

Can't understand anyone buying blackberries, countryside if full of them and they're left to rot...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

Eurospar 3 packs of any berries for €5....valid until 27/05

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Keelings Farm shop in a trailer at the back of the airport FTW. All fresh!

Apple juice 750ml <3
    Big punnet of strawberries €5
    Premium punnet of strawberries €8

I go for the €5 box every time. They're the odd shaped ones that don't make the cut but taste the same as the premium box.

Which road at back of airport? Going to be out that way later!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

SuperS54 wrote: »
    Can't understand anyone buying blackberries, countryside if full of them and they're left to rot...
    in may? agree though shop bought ones are crap

• Advertisement
Advertisement