Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When to stop purees?

Options
  • 20-05-2015 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭

I'm just wondering when most people stopped pureeing food. My daughter is 1 in a couple of weeks and I still puree her dinner and her lunch is mainly soft (banana/yoghurt that type of thing) She is able to manage finger food, she will eat bread, biscuits, chips etc as the odd treat, but she isn't that keen on lumpy food and if I mash her dinner rather than puree it, she very often will refuse it. I am trying to puree it to a lumpier consistency, but generally the smoother the better. I'm worried I'm causing her problems down the line, when is too old for purees?
    Edit: by purees, I don't mean totally smooth, there would still be lumps.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Gosh, it's hard to say. We didn't really puree at all. I mean, she eats plenty of soft things off spoons, like yogurts, porridge, or soup. But we didn't puree dinner.

Have you tried not mashing her dinner? Just letting her at it. I mean, if she can pick up a chip and eat it, she should be able to pick up a bit of meat or some veg.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

We never pureed. From six months in they got finger foods. I'd stop the pureed now tbh.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I never really pureed and my 12 moth old just eats what we are eating with her hand or a spoon but she needs help with the spoon as most of it misses her mouth!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

never done puree here either.

I think the guidelines are to start introducing finger foods/lumps by 6 months. well that is what my PHN told me.

I would have thought by 12 months you shouldn't be pureeing food at all but as I said we never bothered with puree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

You shouldn't be pureeing at all now, she should be able to manage to eat big enough lumps now herself without any pureeing at all.

I know it's not really good advice but buy a ready made baby meal in the age group she is in (you don't have to feed it to her if you don't want to!) and she should be able to manage that consistency.

It's not just a preference thing, lumps and chunks help chewing which in turn helps oral development which helps her speech along too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Thanks for the replies ladies. Purees was probably the wrong word to use, I give a quick blitz with the handheld blender, she would be getting some lumps, but I guess it is time I started mashing and giving more finger food. At the moment, if a lump is too big, she just takes it straight out of her mouth, but I suppose it will just take time.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

I found it a bit like everything else that it just needed time. Hang in there and the lumps will be no problem soon

Advertisement