Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Celbridge - Ardclough Road

Options
  • 20-05-2015 2:12pm

Anyone live or know a bit about housing estates on the Ardclough Road side of Celbridge?

We've been house-hunting around Celbridge/Maynooth and I see there are some nice looking estates in Celbridge heading towards Ardclough.

We'll be doing twice daily school runs to the North Kildare Educate Together so would need to cross the village. My only concern about housing estates on the Ardclough side of Celbridge is the traffic when you want to turn left into the village. That junction looks like a bit of a nightmare.

Anyone any experience of this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Anyone live or know a bit about housing estates on the Ardclough Road side of Celbridge?

We've been house-hunting around Celbridge/Maynooth and I see there are some nice looking estates in Celbridge heading towards Ardclough.

We'll be doing twice daily school runs to the North Kildare Educate Together so would need to cross the village. My only concern about housing estates on the Ardclough side of Celbridge is the traffic when you want to turn left into the village. That junction looks like a bit of a nightmare.

the traffic at the bridge can be bad put there are current plans to do something. Currently examining option another bridge etc.

If public transport is important, then the drawback from living out the Ardclough road is you have to come into the town to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

yes getting over that bridge can be a nightmare at times (espec peak hours)

You know there is a school on that side of town at the GAA club (St PAtricks mixed primary school)?

Thanks folks - must do a few trial runs at rush hour to see how bad it can get. Even at quiet times that junction is a pain. I'm used to it now having been there a few times but first time you reach the bridge it's fairly confusing.

Thanks for info on the primary school. We're not very religious so if it's possible to go to a non-religious school that would be preferable. Will see what happens...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

Its a nightmare junction, and i avoid it at all school times

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Coming from the Ardclough Rd side is usually the best of all angles to come at that junction as you can nip in fairly handily and it's the quietest of the three roads that meet at the bridge.

As someone said the St. Patrick's mixed school is located at the GAA club so from the Ardclough Rd you would cut through Simmonstown / Hazelhatch Park estates and miss the village altogether for school runs.

But for the Educate Together (on Clane Rd?) you wouldn't have too bad of a run either, although any of the estates on the Shackleton / Aghards rd side would probably be preferable, straightforward walk or cycle to the school once the kids are of any kind of age and more than likely handier for both of the secondary schools should you plan to use them down the line.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all of this - really helpful.

Just looking further down the line, I see the new Celbridge Community School is to have a temporary location up near Salesian College/Base. The original plan was for it to be down towards Hazelhatch but their planning application failed.

Anyone know whether the long-term plan is to stay at the Salesian end or try to get something built near the GAA?

To be honest, by the time they are in secondary they can make their own way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

Riskymove wrote: »
    the traffic at the bridge can be bad put there are current plans to do something. Currently examining option another bridge etc.

Thanks to the castletown residents the options have been examined since i was a kid and there currently on step 2 of 10 and it'll be a long time before anything changes.

Theres also a lovely new school in Ardclough but im not sure of its catchment area

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

Just looking further down the line, I see the new Celbridge Community School is to have a temporary location up near Salesian College/Base. The original plan was for it to be down towards Hazelhatch but their planning application failed.

Anyone know whether the long-term plan is to stay at the Salesian end or try to get something built near the GAA?
    :)

Plan is to have a mixed secondary school on the dublin side of the river. Its the only side of Celbridge without a secondary school. they originally were refused planning due to the area being a flood plane...so not 100% sure where its going from there. In fairness for the first few years it makes sense to locate the new school beside one of the other 2 (for sharing teachers etc). But long term it'd be a nightmare to have 2 secondary schools together.

I'm pretty sure they will build the school where they've planned as there primary school is already there and has a limited life span (being portakabins).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Stealthirl wrote: »
    Thanks to the castletown residents the options have been examined since i was a kid and there currently on step 2 of 10 and it'll be a long time before anything changes.

Theres also a lovely new school in Ardclough but im not sure of its catchment area

Half of chelmsford went there, i know people who live in chelmsford who's kids go there now.
    Was a great school, although a lot bigger classes than there used to be...there was 10 in my 6th class :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Stealthirl wrote: »

The Chamber of Commerce (ie ML, DD, VW, GB) were the main stumbling block since the year dot as they felt they would lose a ton of business if people could bypass the main st. and head straight for town (or to the planned "new town" development on the Donaghcomper lands that also went up in smoke.)

Considering the Castletown residents put up with 100s of dog walkers clogging up the entire bottom half of the estate most evenings and weekends I don't think they have the clout when it comes to town planning decisions that you're attributing to them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement