Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

!! Irish / Gaeilge OL 2015 - predictions, guesses, discussion

• 20-05-2015 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hey guys,
    Just wondering when answering the comprehensions (if the question does not mention using your own words) do you get full marks if you lift the answer straight from the piece? Provided it is correct of course. Obviously I try to use my own words but can't always.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭lumosteph

Almost positive you get the full marks even from copying directly from the text!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭VG31

You get full marks for copying straight from the text in higher level so it must almost certainly be the case in ordinary level.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭IrishLoriii

Hi all,
    Maybe Im blind but I haven't seen an ordinary level irish thread anywhere!! :) I was just wondering what you are all planning on studying for the OL Irish exam?? I am only studying the poems Mo Ghra Sa Idirluibhini, An Spailpin Fanach and An tEarrach Thiar and for the storys I'm studying Dis, An Gnathrud and Caca Milis. Not too sure what to study for paper 1 though any suggestion?? I can't see them going too hard on us or throwing in any surprises :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Hi all,
    Maybe Im blind but I haven't seen an ordinary level irish thread anywhere!! :)

I'm sure you're not but I've moved it to the OL Irish thread anyway :p

It does get difficult to find some subject threads with the sheer amount of them.

Nim wrote: »
    I'm sure you're not but I've moved it to the OL Irish thread anyway :p

It does get difficult to find some subject threads with the sheer amount of them.

Thanks Nim!! Ill be booking my specsavers appointment soon!! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Twiist3DPyRo

I just want to pass OL irish for the LC and i will be very happy

What are some tips for getting "easy marks" and what should i put focus on revising?

I fell like my oral went ok (maybe 15/20 out of 40%) and my best shot at getting marks is the comprehension but just to be safe what would you recommend i learn off. People say the sceal and litir are easiest, any guess on what might come up/topics to revise?

I have been using this website for sample answers, is this good method?

educate.ie -> fee solutions -> irish solutions -> OL, and have just been learning paragraphs from that

free solutions*

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭DUBLINHITMAN97

Does anyone have an idea what sceal is most likely for paper 1?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Kermin

Anyone else genuinely worried about this? I neglected Irish all year as I wasn't using it for points without realising if I fail it I have to repeat -_- My standard of Irish is absolutely terrible. Got 48% in the mocks having known what was coming up....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

Kermin wrote: »
    Anyone else genuinely worried about this? I neglected Irish all year as I wasn't using it for points without realising if I fail it I have to repeat -_- My standard of Irish is absolutely terrible. Got 48% in the mocks having known what was coming up....

Try and nail Paper 1. Learn the layout of a letter and a scéal is always some form of a timpiste, you can probably fit it in. The aural is handy enough too at OL, listen to RnaG or watch TG4! Just get Irish in to your brain!

Paper II is tough due to studied poetry and stories. However the comprehsnions are easy to score highly on!

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭tornados2111

Hi, I'm having the same problems that many of yous are having. I want to pass but my level of irish is terrible. I got 30% in the mocks although admittedly I didn't study. I also did worse in the actual oral than I usually do and I reckon I got about 10 out of 40%. Obviously this is quite a challenge, I need to get 30% out of the remaining 60%. I know that I can do ok in comprehensions and aural, but even there I'm only looking at 50%, whereas I'd need 50% across the board. My story will invariably be only a few lines long, despite me trying to add weather, days, months etc to lengthen it and I'll be lucky to understand the question... Can I get many marks for learning a template? the structure of a letter?

• Advertisement

What are you guys gonna learn then for paper 1?? We never did paper 1 in class so I am a bit
    iffy about it

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Krydan

I'm going to learn off a layout for a paper (address, opening paragraph, ending paragraph, goodbye) and then hopefully be able to fit in SOMETHING to do with the question...If I understand it 

Then I'm also going to learn a timpiste story for the Sceal

I only need to pass, a D3. I'm actually worried I won't at this stage because I have done close to no irish the past 2 years.

Will me writing down what I said I'd learn off get me many marks? Or will I be crucified for not completely sticking to the question asked?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Kermin

Krydan wrote: »
    I'm going to learn off a layout for a paper (address, opening paragraph, ending paragraph, goodbye) and then hopefully be able to fit in SOMETHING to do with the question...If I understand it 

Then I'm also going to learn a timpiste story for the Sceal

I only need to pass, a D3. I'm actually worried I won't at this stage because I have done close to no irish the past 2 years.

Will me writing down what I said I'd learn off get me many marks? Or will I be crucified for not completely sticking to the question asked?

I'm pretty much doing the same timpiste is good because its really general. Your going on summer holidays? 10 lines on your holidays then say how you injured yourself and its a standard timpiste after that. But for the letter ill probably run over laentha saoire

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭tornados2111

Kermin wrote: »
    I'm pretty much doing the same, timpiste is good because its really general. Your going on summer holidays? 10 lines on your holidays then say how you injured yourself and its a standard timpiste after that. But for the letter ill probably run over laentha saoire as welll.
    Is there anywhere online where i can find a good timpiste? Also my irish is really bad and I'm worried I won't understand the question. Do they usually ask the timpiste?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Sarah_mc18

I've always struggled with Irish but somehow managed a A1 in the mocks. IT WAS A HUGE SHOCK!! I dont think there will a big difference from the mock and real thing. Sport hasn't came up in years and there will more than likely be a timpiste! I would be susprised if there wasn't. I think using your picture story and the paragraphs from the oral really help with paper one. Use simple Irish as you are less likely to make a mistake. good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Recoil12

Does anyone know the recommended length for the compositions? In my exam papers it says "a half-page of foolscap is sufficient in each case ",but any of the sample answers on examit.ie are close to two pages.

Recoil12 wrote: »
    Does anyone know the recommended length for the compositions? In my exam papers it says "a half-page of foolscap is sufficient in each case ",but any of the sample answers on examit.ie are close to two pages.

Write at least 3/4 of an A4 page, 1 A4 is preferable!

I realised how badly prepared I am for Paper II :( I know nothing for it...

I was thinking of preparing the start and ending for the blog/giota, the start and ending for the letter and then for the sceal Im just going to go over my sraith pictiur notes on the fire in the home ec room, a music competition and the accident with the football match. Ive just realised how unprepared I am for Irish because I always got A's so I was really cocky with it and stopped looking at it completely..Hopefully it'll be a nice paper and there'll be plenty of choice :) I am a bit worried about he listening though..anyone any tips for it??

• Registered Users Posts: 7 At_Night

My biggested problem with the listening is phasing out in the middle and not listening. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭AnnaTorvFan

Any poetry/poem predictions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 sushua

For Poetry I'm studying Spailpin Fanach, Mo Ghrasa and An tEarrach Thiar, and for the Stories I'll study Dis, Caca Milis and Gnathrud

• Registered Users Posts: 3 CB1008

Any predictions for paper 2?? What stories and poetry should I study?? Thanks

Edit:

Continuing on from here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057433415

• Registered Users Posts: 25 sushua

Stories: Gnathrud, Dis, Caca Milis,
    Poetry: Mo Ghrasa, An tEarrach Thiar and Spailpin Fanach

• Registered Users Posts: 3 roisinmeagan

Próis : An Gnáthrud, Dís and An Lasair Choille
    Filíocht: Mo Ghrá-sa, An tEarrach Thiar and An Spailpín Fanach :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 podisyc

Anyone have a link or their own good short summaries for the prose?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 roisinmeagan

I'm doing these:
    Próis : An Gnáthrud, Dís and An Lasair Choille
    Filíocht: Mo Ghrá-sa, An tEarrach Thiar and An Spailpín Fanach :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 CB1008

Thanks for the help 😊 if I was to study one story what would you recommend? Hah

So everyone is pretty much avoiding the stories and poems that came up last year, yes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 103 ✭✭Cheerios

Troxck wrote: »
    So everyone is pretty much avoiding the stories and poems that came up last year, yes?

That's what I'm doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 At_Night

Cheerios wrote: »
    That's what I'm doing.
    Me too

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement