Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intrum justitia

Options
  • 20-05-2015 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭

Hi

Does anyone know who this crowd would be collecting for?

Just received a text. Can't think what it could be and I don't have any debts o/s as far as I know.

Don't have littlewoods or upc and can't thing what it could relate to. Have not received any letters either.

Plan to ignore for time being

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

Melendez wrote: »
    If you have a debt that you don't know about you are better off knowing about it.

If you don't have a debt, you are better off clearing it up.

Ah I do agree I've just never heard of this company before and it sounded like a scam and V odd name

Didn't receive any letter just a text which heightened my suspicion.

Found out it is Oxigen bins. I cancelled contract last year in march via letter. Have had no contact from them since (they never even collected the bloody bins, still in my back!). Bill for 79 euro. Going to write to oxigen to get a full copy of my record under data protection and see how I get on and will then decide what to do

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

I know they work with Vodafone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

have nothing to do with these charlatans or any other collections agency, parasites the lot of them, just refuse to deal with them, they'll eventually go away.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Pocoyo

jonnny68 wrote: »
    have nothing to do with these charlatans or any other collections agency, parasites the lot of them, just refuse to deal with them, they'll eventually go away.

When the bill is below a certain level they dont chase it up anyway they only send letters,It costs too much chasing lower value debts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭return guide

frogstar wrote: »
    Hi

Dops anyone know who this crowd would be collecting for?

Just received a text. Can't think what it could be and I don't have any debts o/s as far as I know.

Don't have littlewoods or upc and can't thing what it could relate to. Have not received any letters either.

Plan to ignore for time being

Thanks

They also work for the HSE, maybe an A&E bill?

Pocoyo wrote: »
    When the bill is below a certain level they dont chase it up anyway they only send letters,It costs too much chasing lower value debts.

Would 80 euro be that threshold do you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

Would it not just be your final bill from Greenstar if you were paying it in arrears?

Don't just ignore it - check into it. If it turns out you owe money, pay it. People shouldn't just not pay for a service they used. It boils down to "I'm not paying it cuz... I don't want to" and this is the ultimate reason for smaller companies having to chase like mad to get what they're owed; it's also the reason for prices going up.

It's a self entitled mindset - don't be that guy/gal.

Would it not just be your final bill from Greenstar if you were paying it in arrears?

Don't just ignore it - check into it. If it turns out you owe money, pay it. People shouldn't just not pay for a service they used. It boils down to "I'm not paying it cuz... I don't want to" and this is the ultimate reason for smaller companies having to chase like mad to get what they're owed; it's also the reason for prices going up.

It's a self entitled mindset - don't be that guy/gal.

I didn't say I was ignoring it. As far as I was concerned it was settled in full. I will be requesting statements from oxigen so that I can look into further

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

I didn't say I was ignoring it. As far as I was concerned it was settled in full. I will be requesting statements from oxigen so that I can look into further

A lot easier to conatct Intrum Justitia (part of stubbs gazette group) - they deal with queries all day and they know that many errors are made.

Give them the details - it sow you responded. Let them know its an error and you closed your account in a proper way and they will do the chasing of oxigen for further details. - Possibly give them date of your account closure / copy of letter.

Some people will say don;t deal with them - but they are simply a collections agency and they have a job to do. They also understand errors are made on the supplier side and can usually sort it out a lot quicker and easier than going though the compnay.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Do not engage in any way with this company. You have no contract or dealings with them and you don't reallynwant such a company holding personal information on you! Tell them nothing! If they call tell them that you have no dealings or contract with them and hang up! Never confirm your name or other details over the phone as then they can't legally discuss it with you!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

delahuntv wrote: »
    A lot easier to conatct Intrum Justitia (part of stubbs gazette group) - they deal with queries all day and they know that many errors are made.

Give them the details - it sow you responded. Let them know its an error and you closed your account in a proper way and they will do the chasing of oxigen for further details. - Possibly give them date of your account closure / copy of letter.

Some people will say don;t deal with them - but they are simply a collections agency and they have a job to do. They also understand errors are made on the supplier side and can usually sort it out a lot quicker and easier than going though the compnay.

Not in my experience, I arranged a meeting at their offices to resolve my dispute. I explained the situation and they agreed with me! A week later I got another letter. This was ignored and they eventually went away.

Of course each case is different

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭ejabrod

Do not engage with this company.....as stated previously, parasites who rely upon the fact of people not knowing their rights etc.

If you have an outstanding bill with a Oxigen , deal directly with that provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

If I got a text demanding payment from an outfit that I had not previously dealt with, I'd ignore it. It's not a sufficient communication. If they phoned me, I'd ask them to put things in writing.

If I got a letter or email, and if I thought that there was possibly a loose end somewhere that I might have forgotten, I'd ask them to tell me the basis of the claim.

What I would do next depends on whether the claim was justified or not. But I would not give them any personal information, or discuss the details of my business with whoever passed the claim on to them for collection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Another do not engage with the company.

If there is a bill pay the original company by all means but if they aren't interested then DO NOT contact the debt collection agency. Any contact is seen as a sign of weakness and that they are dealing with someone that may pay if they keep the pressure up.

Every time we get a thread about these leeches I google the companies and read at least half a dozen other articles about them, I have yet to find one where anyone has been taken to court.

Its just an automated threat/harassment system, you can see the progression of the letters from other reports/threads you can find on line.

Either the company is being paid to collect the debt or they have bought the debt. If paid then the original supplier isn't going to pay to take court action for small amounts. Where they have bought the debt they are just looking for low hanging fruit because it will be very unlikely they will have the full particulars of the debt for the courts. Its all a numbers game, the debt collection companies know given a certain amount of debt they can recover just so much of it and how much to spend on the recovery to make a profit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Pocoyo

Would 80 euro be that threshold do you think?

I was told the figure before i cant remember but i believe its around the 240e mark.

I didn't say I was ignoring it.
    I know you didn't, but it has been recommended to you.
    Also, ignore the barstool law - companies can appoint third party agents to recover a debt, it is outlined in their T&C; the debt collector, unpleasant as they are, are perfectly legit in their pursuit of a debt they have been charged with doing, by the creditor.

Just giving you the facts, not having a go at you.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,038 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I know you didn't, but it has been recommended to you.
    Also, ignore the barstool law - companies can appoint third party agents to recover a debt, it is outlined in their T&C; the debt collector, unpleasant as they are, are perfectly legit in their pursuit of a debt they have been charged with doing, by the creditor.

Just giving you the facts, not having a go at you.

Companies T&Cs frequently contain things which aren't actually legal - see every mobile phone companies "three repairs before replacement" rule.

They can say what they want about handing debts over to a debt collector but until such point as the debt is actually legally transferred, you owe the debt to the service provider and nobody else.

These kind of debt collection firms are generally vultures who deserve nothing - if you're going to pay the debt pay the actual firm and don't let the middleman get their commission.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

Cutting a long story short and not going into to many details as a dispute over negligence is ongoing.

If a hospital transfers a bill to these people can it affect a credit rating? I no any unpaid debt is not good but some affect it and some don't but am unsure on hospital bills.

L1011 wrote: »
    Companies T&Cs frequently contain things which aren't actually legal - see every mobile phone companies "three repairs before replacement" rule.

They can say what they want about handing debts over to a debt collector but until such point as the debt is actually legally transferred, you owe the debt to the service provider and nobody else.

These kind of debt collection firms are generally vultures who deserve nothing - if you're going to pay the debt pay the actual firm and don't let the middleman get their commission.
    I've put this concern to legal eagles - it's simply not true that the agency has no legal grounds for pursuing the debt, when appointed to act on behalf of the creditor.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭ejabrod

What about a case when these agencies buy the debt?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,038 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've put this concern to legal eagles - it's simply not true that the agency has no legal grounds for pursuing the debt, when appointed to act on behalf of the creditor.

They can pursue the debt but you still don't owe them the money as they constantly claim - until such point as its actually transferred.

The service provider needs to be nuts to not want to take the cash off the actual debtor at that, as all they're ever going to get from the middleman is a heavily cut at portion of it.

The sooner people stop dealing with valueless middlemen (in everything), the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Of course they can write you letters and even call to your house to ask for money but that doesn't give them any legal status because anyone could do that.

Part of the con is that they pretend to have some legal status when they have no more than you or I. Just look at the company name in this case Intrum Justitia made up to sound like its legal. They want people to think they have legal status so they can scare them into paying.

Its the same debt whether its Oxigen asking for the money or Intrum Justitia what is different is that Intrum Justitia are in a worse position to collect the debt because they don't always get the full particulars of the debt which means they can't do anything other than ask for the money. Just because Intrum Justitia have a list of debts and amounts does not mean they have enough information to start court proceedings although they they want you to think they can.

Advertisement