Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much should this cost?

Options
  • 20-05-2015 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I need some experts give their opinions on this. I have a strip of ground between a kerb and a boundary wall. It's 40m x 0.5m. Currently it's planted with a few shrubs that never really grew. The site is shaded and the soil looks slightly bleached and compacted.

The plan is to remove the compacted soil and shrubs and replace with good quality topsoil mixed with fertiliser then seed it with lawnseed. How much would such a job cost. I'm guessing €150 for the top soil delivered in North County Dublin. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

How shady is "shaded"? Will grass grow?

My advice would be: remove the shrubs and level it to a reasonable degree. Rake the surface to loosen the soil; buy some grade 2 turf instead of topsoil; lay the turf, etc.

'New' soil with fertiliser added isn't necessary for grass: it would be if it were a sports pitch or pasture land but not for a length of lawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

Thanks lazybones,

The area is quite shaded but apparently grass did grow there before they planted shrubs. The idea of giving the topsoil added fertiliser is to give it the best chance given the shady lighting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

The grass needs light as much as nutrition, that's why I advise buying rolls of turf. It'll adapt easier.

Advertisement