Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Considering doing two part-time masters...opinions sought!

• 20-05-2015 4:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭

As the title says, I am wondering if anybody here has done, or has any opinion on doing, two part-time MSc degrees. I've searched a lot over the last while to try and find answers, but the only similar questions people have asked relates to one full time and one part time, which is understandably different.

A bit of info:

I've been accepted to do both, starting in September this year. They are both in different colleges, so there's no issue with not being allowed etc.

I have the funds sorted (not well off by any stretch, but I am saving like a motherf***er).

One is an MSc in Data Analytics in UCD, and is taught entirely online apart from exam attendance. Its 18 modules of 5 credits each, and no dissertation at the end. It seems very manageable as you only do 2 modules at a time over the 3 year duration. I want to do it as it could be very beneficial for future employment.

The other is an MSc in Mathematical Physics in DIT. Its 3 years long, part time, and consists of two evenings of lectures per week, apart from holidays etc. 2 summer exams only. Each module is worth 15 credits, so obviously hefty on the content. Then there is a dissertation in year 3. I want to do this as it is my passion and I feel very strongly that this is something I will do at some stage. I would just like to start sooner rather than later.

It has occurred to me that I could start both, then defer one or the other in such a way that year 2 of both courses would be done separately, then complete year 3 of both at the same time. This might be more manageable, as the final year of the DIT MSc does not require lecture attendance etc, juts the dissertation.

I work full time, although my job is pretty forgiving. I get good annual leave (about 50 days) and will be afforded some study & exam leave.

I am definitely motivated enough to want to do both at the same time, but I wanted other people to have an educated (excuse the pun) look and tell me if I'm being a moron.

Thoughts? Cheers in advance.

Advertisement