Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What weird smells do your pets love?

• 20-05-2015 5:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭

My brother treated a pair of leather boots with a mixture of vinegar and water, for some reason, and then applied weather-proofing spray to them. It was ages and ages ago but every time he calls to our house Felix goes insane over the boots. He's almost pole dancing in excitement and joy around my brothers legs, purring, rolling on his back, etc. But only when he wears those boots. It's like an extreme reaction to catnip and it got me wondering what other weird smells pets love. So, what weird smells do your pets love? :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Milton (bleach) and black olives drive Kovu insane! Must see what he makes of boot spray :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

It's funny you should say Milton's, I was using it at one point when there was a spraying frenzy going on between Felix and Toby and our vet said the smell of Milton can encourage them to spray.:D I think it's the vinegar Felix loves as I used the weather proofing spray on a new leather handbag and he's taken no notice of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

My boyfriend's deodorant. Whenever my boyfriend uses it in the bathroom, one of my boys has to rush to the bathroom to rub himself against the toilet all the while making growly/groany sounds.

Not sure if that means he loves it though...

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭Rommie

One of my female cats is obsessed with the smell of my housemate's dog. Anytime she goes near his bed or if his collar is taken off, she rolls around on it for ages. One of the boys is obsessed with coffee -_- we have to be really careful anytime anyone has a cup because he'll stick his face in it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Another weird reaction was Poppy and Chanel No5. Poppy usually runs upstairs and hides whenever anyone calls to the house, but the first time my mum called over she was wearing Chanel No5 and Poppy went mad for it. She all but climbed on my mums head sniffing her. I've never seen her do that with anyone before or since. But then again, she is a strange little cat. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

Cat always comes over and sniffs my arm while I'm scooping out his litter tray. What's that all about :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

Perhaps it's not so weird, but my cat Gryphon LOVES the smell of mint and strawberries. If I break out mint - tea, ice cream, toothpaste, anything mint - or some fresh strawberries, he goes absolutely nuts. He doesn't want to eat it, he just wants to drag it out on to the floor and play with it. I know catnip and mint are in the same family, and he loves catnip, so the mint probably isn't that weird when you think about it that way.

One of my mother's cats had a hilarious reaction to Vicks Vaporub. She sniffed it - didn't touch it, just sniffed it - and then immediately recoiled back, arched her back, hissed at the tub of Vaporub, and ran under the bed. She didn't come out for hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

Rommie wrote: »
    One of my female cats is obsessed with the smell of my housemate's dog. Anytime she goes near his bed or if his collar is taken off, she rolls around on it for ages. One of the boys is obsessed with coffee -_- we have to be really careful anytime anyone has a cup because he'll stick his face in it

A cat I had as a child was addicted to milky coffee.. You couldn't leave a cup unattended anywhere as he was up there, dipping his paw in and licking it off. He didn't like milk or tea, just bog standard 'white coffee'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,185 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Our female tortoise shell is also obsessed with bleach - and my armpits!
    She will climb up on me and stick her face in my armpit, quite forcefully, purring madly.

Advertisement