Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sherwoods

Options
  • 20-05-2015 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭

see sherwoords are having a relocation sale on there moving up beside petmania and mebules, Someone mentioned this before on another thread and dealz might go into there old place on the high street, Would there place on high street be big enough for a dealz?

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

interesting that they would move to the same location as DID.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

linny wrote: »
    see sherwoords are having a relocation sale on there moving up beside petmania and mebules, Someone mentioned this before on another thread and dealz might go into there old place on the high street, Would there place on high street be big enough for a dealz?

I see that too. I'd imagine it would be big enough. It's a fairly big premises. Dealz stores are usually medium sized.
    Fair play to Sherwoods. Hope they do well in their new venture. Surprised DID are letting them in there though. If not Dealz, it'll be snapped up either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pueblo

road_high wrote: »
    I see that too. I'd imagine it would be big enough. It's a fairly big premises. Dealz stores are usually medium sized.
    Fair play to Sherwoods. Hope they do well in their new venture. Surprised DID are letting them in there though. If not Dealz, it'll be snapped up either way.

Having your competitors next door is really an advantage. It creates a destination and critical mass and should benefit both retailers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

End of an era. I remember when they had the big music section downstairs. I distinctly remember buying Garbage's Version 2.0 on tape way back when.

Pity they stopped doing the train in the window at Christmas. Used to love it as a kid

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

I remember when Sherwoods were beside Murphys Jewellers, I must be getting old:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Shame to see it go out of High Street. I wonder if that's where the rumored Toys R' Us might go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

It didn't make sense, in as much as how retail has now evolved, for a heavy goods store to be on High St. Most electrical stores are now in retail parks. The Sherwoods store on High St had become stale in appearance. It remains to be seen how they fare in another location. I cant see Toy's R Us taking the High St unit. It could make a good unit for the likes of Dealz. Possibility of Sam McAuley's maybe relocating from their existing unit. But only time will confirm what actually happens. Best of luck to Sherwoods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

holyhead wrote: »
    It didn't make sense, in as much as how retail has now evolved, for a heavy goods store to be on High St. Most electrical stores are now in retail parks. The Sherwoods store on High St had become stale in appearance. It remains to be seen how they fare in another location. I cant see Toy's R Us taking the High St unit. It could make a good unit for the likes of Dealz. Possibility of Sam McAuley's maybe relocating from their existing unit. But only time will confirm what actually happens. Best of luck to Sherwoods.

Yeah, You're right on that. I know Toys R' Us is looking into a High street location. Is there really any location there that would make sense. Maybe the old Byrne's Toy shop if HMV didn't take it over.

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    Yeah, You're right on that. I know Toys R' Us is looking into a High street location. Is there really any location there that would make sense. Maybe the old Byrne's Toy shop if HMV didn't take it over.

While not in a position to say your wrong, a High St unit for Toy's R Us would surprise me as their is no mass parking outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

I be surprised if sherwoods didn't have someone lined up for the old store. They own the high street store and now will move and have pay rent in new place. I'd be thinking they have someone for it or will sell when they move wont leave it empty it'd to valuable a spot. It will be snapped up straight away. They will do well out beside DID, electrocity might suffer now as retail park will be destination for electrical goods

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

Sam McCauleys to move in I believe.

Buzwaldo wrote: »
    Sam McCauleys to move in I believe.

Boring...they already have a fairly decent store just next door. Not much addition to High St. if true :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Boring...they already have a fairly decent store just next door. Not much addition to High St. if true :(
    they would close the other one on high street

Bowlardo wrote: »
    they would close the other one on high street

Yea, I don't get the logic behind that move (if true) tbh as Sherwoods is not hugely bigger store and Kilkenny city centre is jam packed with Chemist type shops already. I hope it's not true as it brings nothing new at all to High st.

Yea, I don't get the logic behind that move (if true) tbh as Sherwoods is not hugely bigger store and Kilkenny city centre is jam packed with Chemist type shops already. I hope it's not true as it brings nothing new at all to High st.

but it will if something moves in to there store.
    Also i'm not sure how it works but depending on different (older) building a shop is in the rate can be considerably lower.
    I'd say McAuleys would benefit of lower rates
    I think sherwoods has a lot more store space.
    The would have had a store room and a down stairs too (back in the day they did anyway)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Unless they have plans to introduce medical consultations, there's enough space for private screening. More and more whatever can be pushed out to the pharmacies is.

but it will if something moves in to there store.
    Also i'm not sure how it works but depending on different (older) building a shop is in the rate can be considerably lower.
    I'd say McAuleys would benefit of lower rates
    I think sherwoods has a lot more store space.
    The would have had a store room and a down stairs too (back in the day they did anyway)

True but was really hoping it would Be something new. Like Dealz which I think is a great shop for a bargain! Doubt they'd bother with the current Sam Maccauley store. Be just yet another ladies fashion store then. Yawn!!

True but was really hoping it would Be something new. Like Dealz which I think is a great shop for a bargain! Doubt they'd bother with the current Sam Maccauley store. Be just yet another ladies fashion store then. Yawn!!

Dealz..that would be lovely on the medeval mile. no harm in going in to market cross but it should not be on the main street.just makes it look every other ****ty english city centre town

New store is flying along. Look to Be fitting it out. It's unit beside Halfords.

Dealz..that would be lovely on the medeval mile. no harm in going in to market cross but it should not be on the main street.just makes it look every other ****ty english city centre town

It's good to have options. I live in Kilkenny and while it's great so many tourists come here, I do like some of the options you can get in Carlow or dublin. Dealz wouldn't cheapen high St anymore than many of what's there already. But yea, given the choice id prefer something high class go in here (Sam Mccauleys ain't!) and Dealz go into market cross. There ain't the units vacant though anywhere and they'd never get planning in one if the few retail parks due to the planning laws that protect the City centre.
    The "shopping mall" on High St is crying out to be redeveloped, chronic waste of prime space.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

English cities have Supermacs :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Virtanen

It already does, let's be honest, there's nothing special about High Street compared to other places up and down the country. The only difference is the inflated levels of sanctity that people have for it

Virtanen wrote: »
    It already does, let's be honest, there's nothing special about High Street compared to other places up and down the country. The only difference is the inflated levels of sanctity that people have for it

The reason it is special is because it's not a ghost street. Travel to Carlow or Portlaoise and you will see the difference not having a vibrant and relevant main street makes to a town.

It's a very good street. Id go so far to say one of the best in the country. Very few vacant units and a good mix of chain stores and local high quality retailers.
    As others have said just go over to Carlow and see how the opposite has happened with Tullow St.

Carlow is f**ked. When I was a kid Carlow was the place to go and Kilkenny was a dead market town!

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭1984baby

I really do not get the hype over the multinational/chain stores. The constant "we need a Debhenhams/B&Q/Marks&Spencer/Dealz etc...". I love the way Kilkenny has alot of different independent local shops. Many people I know that have visited Kilkenny really liked the shopping here. Pretty much every town/city and shopping centre in Ireland and England are turning into the same. In fact most big European cities have the same shops as in the big cities here.
    Most of the items in the larger chain stores are more expensive than those in the local independents - KK Builders Providers/Bretts are almost always cheaper than woodies, I got tablets in my local chemist cheaper than Boots, I purchased a suit in Pauls a few weeks ago which was €112 cheaper than in Debhenhams.

catbear wrote: »
    Carlow is f**ked. When I was a kid Carlow was the place to go and Kilkenny was a dead market town!

Yea kilkenny sort of reinvented itself in terms of business and employment with a great tourism product, financial services etc.
    Carlow had more manufacturing but is still suffering after most of that closed with little to replace. Couple that with poor planning, the town centre has been hammered.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Yea kilkenny sort of reinvented itself in terms of business and employment with a great tourism product, financial services etc.
    Carlow had more manufacturing but is still suffering after most of that closed with little to replace. Couple that with poor planning, the town centre has been hammered.

And remember a lot of the poor planning was implemented by the county manager that pushed for the CAS. John mullholland the acting CEO of kilkenny county council was also part of the bad planning in carlow.

But that sanctifying is what makes it distinct, unique amongst Irish destinations. It once was extremely dreary, hard to imagine now. Gaps on the high covered up with boarding. It really felt depressed.
    Thankfully Kilkenny missed the large scale urban regeneration that destroyed so much historic character in other places where the car was prioritised.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Sunflower 27

Sherwoods is ridiculously overpriced. I have no idea why anyone would shop there.

Advertisement