Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sherwoods

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Sherwoods is ridiculously overpriced. I have no idea why anyone would shop there.

Is it? Never bought anything there I must confess and mostly due to the location. I always got the impression they stocked all the middle/higher end brands compared to electrocity which is very price driven.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Went in today. I seldom shopped in the high street store because of parking etc.
    Got parked right at the door,yay. Went in,there was a guy at the till( on the right) grunted at me,even though I addressed him politely !. Went to look at kettles and found the one I wanted,then went further into the store looking for an Iorn. No Fookin prices...(boils my piss) the lad didn't come near me,I was about 10 mins in the shop and nobody even came close to me. Abandoned the place and went to DID everything priced,in and out in less than 5 mins,with 2 items.
    Sherwoods you've had your chance,never again.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

Sam McCauley's officially moving into the Sherwoods store now, as reported in the Irish Times.

So what's going to go into the Sam McCauley's space?

Threadhead wrote: »
    Sam McCauley's officially moving into the Sherwoods store now, as reported in the Irish Times.

So what's going to go into the Sam McCauley's space?

Heard that too. Boring.
    Hard to know, it's a bit pokey id say. Prob some ladies fashion store

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

• Advertisement

hi5 wrote: »

Sam Macauley's has been confirmed. They've started refitying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pueblo

not relating to Sherwoods, but to High Street in general, Newbridge Silverware are opening in the little shop across from Subway (previously Michael H), but maybe thats old news..?

pueblo wrote: »
    not relating to Sherwoods, but to High Street in general, Newbridge Silverware are opening in the little shop across from Subway (previously Michael H), but maybe thats old news..?

Not heard that but nice upmarket addition to High St.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

I emailed dealz last week to see if they had any plans for a store in Kilkenny city. But they have no plans for Kilkenny at the moment. Is Kilkenny to affluent for this type of store. Great to hear about Newbridge sliver opening a store in Kilkenny.

So no Tesco and no Dealz :(

• Advertisement

linny wrote: »
    I emailed dealz last week to see if they had any plans for a store in Kilkenny city. But they have no plans for Kilkenny at the moment. Is Kilkenny to affluent for this type of store. Great to hear about Newbridge sliver opening a store in Kilkenny.

It's a bizzare omission. They've been in Killarney for yonks for example. But like Iceland, they're known to target less affluent areas. Id say biggest thing in Kk though is purely a lack of suitable premises.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

So no Tesco and no Dealz :(

No loss on either to be honest,

Cabaal wrote: »
    No loss on either to be honest,

You may be right but it should be left up to us as punters whether we want to shop there,not city/co.councillers making our minds up for us.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

You may be right but it should be left up to us as punters whether we want to shop there,not city/co.councillers making our minds up for us.

There's no council people stopping Tesco setting up in Kilkenny right now, its the consumer that is. Tesco is banjaxed in UK & Ireland, they are scaling back and have cancelled many planned new stores because they've lost massive business to Aldi & Lidl.

If these massive Tesco stores can sit empty in the UK then the same could have easily happened in Kilkenny

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-31365003
    After spending £22m on it, the company announced the site in Chatteris, Cambridgeshire, will be mothballed - one of 49 planned stores across the UK to be cancelled, with a further 43 existing outlets due to be shut down.

Alternatively a Tesco Extra outside the town could have had a major negative impact on High Street and other retailers putting countless jobs at risk from all sorts of shops including Electrical, Cycle Shops, clothes shops, chemists, outdoors etc

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

Surely this will flush out the Fox?? Wheres he been?

Rantan wrote: »

Careful what you wish for 😨

Rantan wrote: »
    I actually thought that Foxy was a vixen :confused:??
    Yea - I miss him/her. It's been a while. Hope he or she is ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I think I saw he/she/foxy having a heated debate with a bin the other day.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Popped in to buy a laptop today and they didn't have 1 in stock. Walked next door to DID and they didn't do finance this week so couldn't buy there.

Went down to electrocity for the first time ever. Really helpful staff good range of laptop with finance available but then realised that it was going to cost be 450 extra euros for a 1.1k laptop. Think I'll pop down to the credit union.

kikel wrote: »
    Popped in to buy a laptop today and they didn't have 1 in stock. Walked next door to DID and they didn't do finance this week so couldn't buy there.

Went down to electrocity for the first time ever. Really helpful staff good range of laptop with finance available but then realised that it was going to cost be 450 extra euros for a 1.1k laptop. Think I'll pop down to the credit union.
    Have you tried Grays on John street, they're great. They're really helpful with followup troubleshooting.

• Advertisement

Credit union will be much cheaper also.

catbear wrote: »
    Have you tried Grays on John street, they're great. They're really helpful with followup troubleshooting.

Never thought of them but I don't think they have model I'm looking for. Will drop in anyway.

kikel wrote: »
    Never thought of them but I don't think they have model I'm looking for. Will drop in anyway.

Bought two there. They sell TVs and Laptops, and their accessories, nothing else. So unlike DID or Electro, they actually have a clue what they are talking about. And are very competitive on price with a wide range.
    I had an issue with my own lately (keyboard needed replacing). Less than one year old, sent it off for me and got it fixed under warranty. All for free. So I couldn't fault their customer service.

Also there's a computer shop beside Tesco in Carlow that sells reconditioned laptops with a warranty.

catbear wrote: »
    Also there's a computer shop beside Tesco in Carlow that sells reconditioned laptops with a warranty.

Keeping my business local.

Advertisement