Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House prices in Cabra East

Options
  • 20-05-2015 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

I am viewing an house in 76 Leix Road, Cabra, Dublin 7 this Saturday.

Asking price is 230.000 on my home.ie.
    Done some search on the net and I found that this property was sold in 2012 for 118.000 as recorded in price register.

Looking at the property, I would not say that they have done works on it!!!
    Is that the norm in Cabra now?

it would be great if is there anyone trying to buy in Cabra East and they can share their experiences.

I have started to look into buying this week.
    Thank you!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

D7/D8 has shot up in price. There would have been some bargains to be had for the savvy/clairvoyant/mental risk takers in 2011/12. A Two bed apartment next to me was purchased for 67K in 2012, recently sold there for 167K, D8.

Have a look at asking prices in the area using the myhome.ie map, bear in mind we're probably in a localised bubble.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 stefaniaf

Prices in Cabra East seem to be around that region.

I am absolutely shocked that we are now looking at double figures and more!

I agree that the addition of the luas and the new DIT campus do add value to the area but the question is...how risky is to buy at this prices now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

The sale price from 2012 does not mean an unrelated buyer turned up and bought it on the open market. It's also possible that one spouse bought out the other or if it was inherited that one beneficiary bought out the other(s). Such transactions would also appear as sales on the property price register

athtrasna wrote: »
    The sale price from 2012 does not mean an unrelated buyer turned up and bought it on the open market. It's also possible that one spouse bought out the other or if it was inherited that one beneficiary bought out the other(s). Such transactions would also appear as sales on the property price register

Ok I did not think of that.
    What's the actual increase of prices since the drop? II read that the prices are now 37% lower than the pick in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

stefaniaf wrote: »
    Ok I did not think of that.
    What's the actual increase of prices since the drop? II read that the prices are now 37% lower than the pick in Dublin.

There is no generalised answer to that. Have a look at the price register for a broader area not a specific house and you should be able to get a more accurate picture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 rasgav

I was looking in this area in 2011 and asking prices were all north of 200k. What they actually sold for is another matter. Good area IMO.

I ended up buying in D8. Recent sales on my road are 50-100% above 2011/12 prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

You cant go by one price in an area ,
    a mother might sell to a cousin ,or son at a reduced priced .
    And there,s just a limited amount of 3bed houses for sale, so close to the city centre .
    OR it could be a house that needs alot of repairs .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Yeah I looked at houses in there that had sale prices oh 7k and 72k. No way were they open market sales. That said in 11/12 people snapped up bargains and prices have come up so that may have been a genuine price. Regardless of work done or not done the value is what someone is willing to pay right now so I wouldn't get hung up on the PPR, just decide what your willing to pay.

My budget is around 230/250 for a house with a bit of a garden as I have two small dogs.
    A two beds house would be sufficient and I would really like to avoid to move outside Dublin (yet I am looking into Rush and Lusk).

I am considering Cabra East as I would think to get something in there and its proximity to town, new DIT campus and Phoenix should help the value of the house. I am also looking at one house in 82 McKee Park in Black Hourse Avenu which I really really like but I am getting mixed comments from other members going from 'Staying away' to 'lovely area that has changed a lot in the recent areas'.

Any suggestions for other areas in Dublin? Is all D8 safe?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

I am viewing an house in 76 Leix Road, Cabra, Dublin 7 this Saturday.

Asking price is 230.000 on my home.ie.
    Done some search on the net and I found that this property was sold in 2012 for 118.000 as recorded in price register.

Looking at the property, I would not say that they have done works on it!!!
    Is that the norm in Cabra now?

it would be great if is there anyone trying to buy in Cabra East and they can share their experiences.

I have started to look into buying this week.
    Thank you!

In fairness the seller of this house bought you say in 2012 when others were afraid and were waiting for further price drops. A lot of these people expected to get a property for nothing and indeed im sure if it was for sale at 50k in 2012 they still would not have bought. Fairplay I say they bought when everyone was afraid. They might or might not have added value by rénovation but ulimately its up to the buyer to decide the price. Its the same in Dublin 15, 3 bed semis were very low maybe 100k now there around 200k plus more or less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Desmonddoyle

I think houses in Cabra are particularly bad value compared to lots of other areas. Quarter of a million for small 2 bed houses in large corpo estates, albeit mature, a large part of the area is prone to serious flooding. No nice pubs or restaurants. It's only real selling point as far as I can see is proximity to town, which has differing values for different folk in different situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

I think houses in Cabra are particularly bad value compared to lots of other areas. Quarter of a million for small 2 bed houses in large corpo estates, albeit mature, a large part of the area is prone to serious flooding. No nice pubs or restaurants. It's only real selling point as far as I can see is proximity to town, which has differing values for different folk in different situations.

Yea very true. Also they are ramping up to build lots more two bed houses just over the other side of the canal at Campbell bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

is the price register including VAT?

When I search my house on www.propertypriceregister.ie it's an awful lot lower than what I paid because the price displayed is "VAT Exclusive"

What areas would you suggesting to look at?

What areas would you suggesting to look at?

Really hard to answer, it depends on a number of factors that are all personal to you. You know your budget, where you work, the size of a house you need, if a garden is important, what amenities you want to be near, if you don't mind being on a main road, prefer to be need a green area, tolerance for anti-social behaviour or large amounts of young people in an area. Some people will knowingly pay more than a house is worth to be near a school or their work, family. Cabra might still be the answer, but I don't think I'd be happy paying that for what you get in Cabra, all things considered for me.

D7 the odd Gem to be found, D8 harder to find but some real finds there. Bar Oliver Bond and to my view Pimlico D8 is grand. D8 is very difficult as it has some of the best and worst places in Dublin.

D5 was a bit of a mystery to me until recently. I was excluding it from searches, ended up buying out there! Be careful what people say about areas, Dublin has changed hugely over the last 20 to 30 years. Speak to residents of an area, speak to shop keepers, security guards in Spar are amazing! Look in the local pharmacy. Use facebook and stalk residents groups.

There's even areas (outside of the 1Million for a house areas) that are nice and good value.

D7 the odd Gem to be found, D8 harder to find but some real finds there. Bar Oliver Bond and to my view Pimlico D8 is grand. D8 is very difficult as it has some of the best and worst places in Dublin.

D5 was a bit of a mystery to me until recently. I was excluding it from searches, ended up buying out there! Be careful what people say about areas, Dublin has changed hugely over the last 20 to 30 years. Speak to residents of an area, speak to shop keepers, security guards in Spar are amazing! Look in the local pharmacy. Use facebook and stalk residents groups.

There's even areas (outside of the 1Million for a house areas) that are nice and good value.

Thank you for the advice! I lived in Bettygleen for a couple of years and I loved it! Great location!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 radar_marglar

My budget is around 230/250 for a house with a bit of a garden as I have two small dogs.
    A two beds house would be sufficient and I would really like to avoid to move outside Dublin (yet I am looking into Rush and Lusk).

I am considering Cabra East as I would think to get something in there and its proximity to town, new DIT campus and Phoenix should help the value of the house. I am also looking at one house in 82 McKee Park in Black Hourse Avenu which I really really like but I am getting mixed comments from other members going from 'Staying away' to 'lovely area that has changed a lot in the recent areas'.

Any suggestions for other areas in Dublin? Is all D8 safe?

Just a hi n hope to sell my own in cabra west this time next year, need 250+ for it. its a 2 bed mid-t with kitchen extension etc fully plumbed n re-wired, spotlights everywhere, sound slabbed/insulted sitting room. a 110 foot rear garden thats completely landscaped , not overlooked at end etc and , dog n child friendly, great for social sessions large or small, pretty much flood proof, never had so much as a puddle at front or rear even in the absolute worst of rain weve had, its in cabra west.

Just a hi n hope to sell my own in cabra west this time next year, need 250+ for it. its a 2 bed mid-t with kitchen extension etc fully plumbed n re-wired, spotlights everywhere, sound slabbed/insulted sitting room. a 110 foot rear garden thats completely landscaped , not overlooked at end etc and , dog n child friendly, great for social sessions large or small, pretty much flood proof, never had so much as a puddle at front or rear even in the absolute worst of rain weve had, its in cabra west.

Good luck with that - I hope your 'need' finds someone else's want. I really must have missed something in Cabra when I was considering there. On a square foot basis at the time, I remember two beds in Cabra were as expensive, or more expensive as houses in Castleknock and Ashtown, and it looks like it has gotten worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 radar_marglar

cabra dearer than castleknock ha ha, i check property pretty much every day n if we were ever at that point i would have had my chance to sell n move. just missed out last time before the big "planned" crash wiped out our shot. not to worry , be great to think a couple or family would buy mine n enjoy it, but chances are a Landlord will simply add it to their collection as rent is pretty much 100% guaranteed now. last resort if it doesnt sell or the banks are stubborn we,ll rent it ourselves n make the move without the sneaky swines.

• Advertisement

cabra dearer than castleknock ha ha, .

Just go to myhome or daft and do some quick comparisons. You'll have to search these if you want to see them as it won't let me paste URL as I'm a new user, but there are lots of examples you take.

House in question, 230k for 68 sq meters = 3,382 per sq meter
    76 leix road cabra Dublin 7

First house on a search for two beds in Cabra, 225k for 72 sq meters = 3,125 per sq meter
    131 killala road cabra Dublin 7

Sample of houses in castleknock 275k for 91 sq meters = 3,022 per square meter
    7-fernleigh view castleknock dublin 15

349k for 135 sq meters = 2,585 per square meter
    19-rosehaven castleknock Dublin 15

4 bed 420k for 128 sq meters = 3,281 per square meter
    2riverwood heath castleknock Dublin 15

There are loads of examples. I remember doing the analysis at the time and being shocked how expensive houses in Cabra were, on a pure sq meter basis. It's only one metric to gauge value, but you would expect to get a bit more value in a corpo estate, pound for pound, but not in Cabra. The conclusion I came to was that I would be crazy to pay a quarter of a million for a really tiny corpo house in a pretty dreary area that's prone to flooding. General point I'm making - I'm sure your house is lovely etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭absolutegroove

I bought in Cabra at the start of 2014. Maybe paid a little more than I liked but I weighed up all my options.

Some points:

I wanted to be close to the city centre (I can walk it in thirty minutes).

I was buying on my own (didn't want to stretch myself)

Semi-detached three bed two Bath (can rent a room or hopefully easy to sell in the future)

The road I bought on is very quiet and I have really nice neighbours. Yes I would have liked to buy in Ranelagh or Malahide etc but I had to be realistic. If I was renting now then I would be in a bad way and unable to buy.

All I'm saying is weigh up your options and think carefully about what you want from the area you want to live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Skibunny77

How about my insights as a resident of Leix road! I moved here five years ago - prices were lower then. I had rented in the area for two years previously and had a good sense of Cabra and where I wanted to live. I'd recommend the roads around Leix road - stretching to Phibsboro - older threads on boards give good advice on this.

I've had a fantastic experience. I am a young professional and the only negativity I've had to face is other people's perception of my postcode! Generally the people who are negative about Cabra East base their opinions on headlines or their perception of what the area is like - few have lived there. Anyway, things I love about the house is the fact that it is solid, well built, spacious enough for me, I cannot hear anything through the walls from my neighbours which was a novelty after years of renting newer builds. Bills are low, house holds heat exceptionally well (I replastered/rewired/replumbed).

The park, bus routes, Inspire fitness, Tesco and a great selection of local shops (esp the market store and Ennis Butchers) are on my doorstep. My neighbours are friendly and the kind you could drop into if you were stuck. The road is very quiet and I can honestly say in five years, I've never had a moments trouble, nor seen it, despite what the headlines read! Leix road had never flooded according to my own research at the time I bought and in 2013, during the horrendous flash floods of 2013, the road was fine. I like the mix of young professionals and mature families and older people in the area. I love the pubs in the area - I am ten minute walk from Walshs and Mulligans (great gastro pub), there is definite lack of restaurants though. Love the proximity to town, I often walk in. Luas line will be a bonus. I was clear that I wanted a parking space, free parking for others to visit and no management fees. No problems with my friends cars left on the road. I wouldn't live in Cabra West however. Cabra East is traditionally more expensive, another house has just gone sale agreed on Leix Road for 280,000 according to Mason Estates.

I like MarkAnthony's advice - wherever you decide to buy, ask locals - drop into the garda station, have a chat with the local shopkeepers, get a sense of what it is like to live there, if you read half the comments on this thread and didn't speak to a local, you'd have a completely different impression of the area than people who live there. Re other areas, I agree re D8, nice parts and parts to watch out for. I also considered Ashtown, but was put off by the population of first time buyers and renters. That said, I have lots of friends who live there and love it. In a nutshell, I'm very happy in 'Fabra' and get teased for my loyal defence of the area, so don't rule it out completely. Good luck with the search - I remember how stressful it was!!

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Skibunny77

How about my insights as a resident of Leix road! I moved here five years ago - prices were lower then. I had rented in the area for two years previously and had a good sense of Cabra and where I wanted to live. I'd recommend the roads around Leix road - stretching to Phibsboro - older threads on boards give good advice on this.

I've had a fantastic experience. I am a young professional and the only negativity I've had to face is other people's perception of my postcode! Generally the people who are negative about Cabra East base their opinions on headlines or their perception of what the area is like - few have lived there. I love the house itself, love the fact that it is solid, well built, spacious enough for me, I cannot hear anything through the walls from my neighbours which was a novelty after years of renting newer builds. Bills are low, house holds heat exceptionally well (I replastered/rewired/replumbed).

The park, bus routes, Inspire fitness gym with pool, Tesco and a great selection of local shops (esp the market store and Ennis Butchers) are on my doorstep. My neighbours are friendly and the kind you could drop into if you were stuck. The road is very quiet and I can honestly say in five years, I've never had a moments trouble, nor seen it, despite what the headlines read! Leix road had never flooded according to my own research at the time I bought and in 2013, during the horrendous flash floods, the road was fine. I like the mix of young professionals and mature families and older people in the area. I love the pubs in the area - I am ten minute walk from Walshs and Mulligans (great gastro pub), there is definite lack of restaurants though. Love the proximity to town, I often walk in. Luas line will be a bonus. I was clear that I wanted a parking space, free parking for others to visit and no management fees. No problems with my friends cars left on the road. I wouldn't live in Cabra West however. Cabra East is traditionally more expensive, another house has just gone sale agreed on Leix Road for 280,000 according to Mason Estates.

I like MarkAnthony's advice - wherever you decide to buy, ask locals - drop into the garda station, have a chat with the local shopkeepers, get a sense of what it is like to live there, if you read half the comments on this thread and didn't speak to a local, you'd have a completely different impression of Cabra East than that of the people who actually reside there. Re other areas, I agree re D8, nice parts and parts to watch out for. I also considered Ashtown, but was put off by the population of first time buyers and renters. That said, I have lots of friends who live there and love it. In a nutshell, I'm very happy in 'Fabra' and get teased for my loyal defence of the area, so don't rule it out completely. Good luck with the search - I remember how stressful it was!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

IF you want to buy a 3bed house near the city centre with a garden ,your choice is very limited ,
    Most houses in the city centre ,have just a small yard at the rear of the house .
    IF you cycle cabra is 15 minutes from the city centre .

I have spoken to a couple of people living in Cabra. One person born and raised in Cabra and the other person instead moved to Cabra as a single professional woman a few years back.

They both confirmed that Cabra East is a great place to live in despite its reputation.
    I have actually after a property in sale in McKee now which is labelled also as Cabra.

I guess as Riclad said I will have to compromise somewhere if I want an house for 230-250K with a garden and close to the city centre!

I am looking at 82 McKee Park.

I read many people talking badly about the Dunard Estate which is around the corner of this house. I was there at several different times of the day/evening and I looked ok to me!

I could not find any online groups as suggested by Marc Anthony to learn more about this area.

Am I too naive to believe that due to his positioning on the main street (Black Horse Avenue), it would be a safe enough place to live?

My priorities are to be close to the city centre also because I want the flexibility to be able to rent the place in the near future and to have a garden as I got two dogs. I have no kids and no plan to have of having kids so I would prefer to stay close enough to the city.

Any insights on 82 McKee Park?

• Advertisement

Lack of on line groups would suggest a lack of community in the area, which to me lets things like anti social behaviour go unchecked. It's by no means the be all and end all. Try the local shop keepers, try popping into the local Garda station.

Advertisement