Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nintendo 64 Passport Plus Black Screen

• 20-05-2015 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I need help, i bought a converter for my pal N64 to play NTSC games on it, when I switch it on, I can hear the sound from the game but get a black screen.

Can anybody help?

Thanks,

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

You'll need to have a Pal cart in the back of the thing and the NTSC cart slotted in as well.
    Have you checked the contacts are clean?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 naoiseoh

Its from PAL, I tried it with both games insterted but I think it might be because of my tv, its about 6 years old and not sure if it can handle the ntsc output or something?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If it's a cheap make CRT then it might not handle 60Hz, LCD tvs though will handle it. However if the CRT can't handle it you'll get a black and white screen, not nothing. Anyway a PAL N64 can't output in NTSC 60Hz, the game will be slowed down to 50Hz and output in PAL. It's probably a compatibility issue with the game not liking being run at 50Hz

To be honest with you those passport converter carts are absolute rubbish with awful compatibility or else the games run with bugs and timing issues if they run at all. Your best bet if you are serious about retro games is to pick up a US or Japanese N64, they are dirt cheap. Your NTSC games will run at the correct 60 Hz speed (seriously do not start collecting PAL N64 games, they run slower and many are absolutely ruined by being at 50Hz). Japanese and US N64 are easily modded to run japanese and US games (it's a case of removing plastic tabs), most models can be modded to output in RGB (which gives amazing picture quality and will sort any TV compatibility issues you might have. Also you can just stick in the PAL console power supply and it will work straight off the mains without needed to use a step down converter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

à la this

• Registered Users Posts: 3 naoiseoh

@Retr0Gamer, Thanks very much dude! I was unsure if i could use the same power supply for other region consoles, Ill definitely pick up another console soon. Im starting to take my collecting quite serious now so this was genuinely a big help. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I built up a big collection of PAL games and I regret it ever since. I should have started with NTSC but I didn't know any better until it was too late. Anyway a NTSC console is worth it for Sin and Punishment alone :)

Advertisement