Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

commercial rates liability

Options
  • 20-05-2015 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭

I am looking at buying a pretty much derelict house with large shop unit on the main street of a small provincial town. The property has been vacant for several years - I think 10 at least - it was sold 18 months ago to the current owner, who is simply looking for the biggest return on investment.
    I have rang the council and the rates are 920 per annum - but if I buy the property can I be liable for any outstanding rates?
    If I bought the property do I wait to issued a rates bill or do I pay immediately? As the property needs extensive renovations I wouldn't expect to be able to open the retail unit for 4/5 months.
    Any advice gratefully received.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

You solicitor should insst that any outstanding rates are fully up to date as a standard part of the conveyance.As the property is derelict it is probably the subject of total or part rates remission. Talk to the local council in this regard, as each county counciil has differeing rules.

Advertisement