Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today I listened to...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

A few ones I have been listening to lately

Judge and Jeremy, True Crime Garage: both quite similar to Casefile in that they are true crime pods but both with two hosts so there is a bit more exploration of the crime. TCG has a few minutes of talking about beer at the start but once you get past that they are really good, in depth discussions.

The Pop List, an odd selection of shows about the most random things but really compelling

Sawbones, two doctors talking about weird medical history and stuff like that. The most recent one was on conversion therapy and is presented in a really interesting way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

anna080 wrote: »
    Am going to start listening to casefile today. Would you recommend listening in any particular order? Are they chronologically organised or can you listen here and there?

You can pick random episodes, there are a few that a mini series though and are obviously marked as such, like the latest 5 parter, the Yorkshire ripper, and the moors murders.

Two good episodes that stuck in my head are port Arthur and Jennifer pan.

Am going to start listening to casefile today. Would you recommend listening in any particular order? Are they chronologically organised or can you listen here and there?

The great thing about Casefile is all the cases are different so you can pick and choose how you listen. I always like to start with a shorter episode to get a feel of a show, I really enjoy earlier ones about the Erickkson Twins and Donna Wheeler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41 dolmen

Listened to inspiring lady Frances Black on latest podcast
    Excellent

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Earlier casefile arent as slick or detailed as later ones, but it's an excellent series. I skipped a lot of the bad kiddy ones having smallies myself I can't do it. Found the Tina Watson one great, the latest 5 part east area rapist one was terrifying, I couldn't listen at night. Enjoy it, it really is superb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

eviltwin wrote: »
    The great thing about Casefile is all the cases are different so you can pick and choose how you listen. I always like to start with a shorter episode to get a feel of a show, I really enjoy earlier ones about the Erickkson Twins and Donna Wheeler.

Listened to the twins one. Wtf!! Safe to say I won't be sleeping tonight.
    I actually think these might be too scary for me :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭siblers

pc7 wrote: »
    Casefile would be the only podcast I'd pay for.

That and Hardcore History.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Listened to the twins one. Wtf!! Safe to say I won't be sleeping tonight.
    I actually think these might be too scary for me :pac:

Case 36: Amok
    Case 42: Sherri Rasmussen

I'd recommend these two, they aren't as dark or as brutal as other episodes and they focus quite heavily on the culprits. This isn't giving anything away but in case 42, there is a "wtf" moment that is nuts.

Case 36 is quite short but it's incredibly interesting.

Anyone listening to anything that isn't Casefile? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

LOL, I know! :D I'm listening/have listened to several true crime ones already and I'm not sure I want to get into Casefile.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

There's also a separate thread for 'em.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057733820

I've only just found Athletico Mince. Very funny.

https://athleticomince.com/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

My Favourite Murder. :) I love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭Gwildor

I've been listening to Rabbits for the last few evenings. It's made by the same people who made Tanis. A very good listen if you're into creepy(ish) docudramas...

https://www.rabbitspodcast.com/about-1/

And yes, I've also been listening to Casefile... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Ear Hustle.

A pod recorded & produced by two inmates in San Quentin prison, california, along with a woman who volunteers there

First episode was released this week, only 25 mins, about cellmates, with stories from other prisoners.

Has the potential to be interesting though everything released has to be approved by the prison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,082 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

True crime garage.

The Casey Anthony case.

Very interesting case, hadn't heard of it before.

The two lads are good if a little too opinion and the ads are a bit of a pain but I'd recommend it.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Planet Money had an interesting one about where people send money that's been damaged - fire, water, etc. No idea such a service existed.

Todd VanDerWerff TV critic with Vox has one called I Think You're Interesting. I listened to a few of these with Rhea Seehorn (Better Call Saul) and the showrunners from The Americans. Todd seems like a good host, doesn't interrupt at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 mcbrideryan1

This review of transformers by the hosts Kevin and Aidan is hilarious as they're usually upbeat about their stuff.

It makes me want to watch transformers for the sole purpose of scoffing at it...

They usually cover music and have done good stuff about phish, talking heads and the police!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Second series of Homecoming is out and to my ears is even better than the first series so far. For those in the Apple ecosystem there is an accompanying ebook series to be read in conjunction with each episode called 'The Lost Coast'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Ear Hustle
    Ear Hustle brings you stories of life inside prison, shared and produced by those living it. The podcast is a partnership between Earlonne Woods and Antwan Williams, currently incarcerated at San Quentin State Prison, and Nigel Poor, a Bay Area artist. The team works in San Quentin’s media lab to produce stories that are sometimes difficult, often funny and always honest, offering a nuanced view of people living within the American prison system

It's decent

pilly wrote: »
    Listening to My Favourite Murder at the moment, it's not what I expected. They take the piss out of murderers really, quite funny in a dark way.

tried this but it just seems like 2 annoying cnuts with awful nasally/whiney american accents waffling on against men a lot and spending about 1/3 of the podcast actually talking about the crime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭steve_r

Based on word of mouth, I listened to an Irish podcast called "Those conspiracy guys".

They seem to be doing really well, topic not my scene but wish them all the best with it, Episodes are way to long though which is a real pet hate of mine.

Here's a proper boards thread on them http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057578595&page=3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,601 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

glasso wrote: »
    tried this but it just seems like 2 annoying cnuts with awful nasally/whiney american accents waffling on against men a lot and spending about 1/3 of the podcast actually talking about the crime.

They grow on you after a while. I think they know their audience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Listened to Jamie Foxx on Joe Rogan Experience yesterday - one of Joes shorter episodes and found it very funny - Foxx is a character who also seems very, very humble so was an enjoyable listen

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭CaoimheSquee

tallpaul wrote: »
    Second series of Homecoming is out and to my ears is even better than the first series so far. For those in the Apple ecosystem there is an accompanying ebook series to be read in conjunction with each episode called 'The Lost Coast'.

Thoroughly enjoying the first two episodes so far of season 2. Gimlet Media relaly are setting the bar for quality podcast productions.
    I just finished Mogul today http://www.vulture.com/2017/06/podcast-review-mogul-the-life-and-death-of-chris-lighty.html.
    Crimetown is excellent too.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭CaoimheSquee

I adore Myths and Legends too. The chap who does it has a great sense of humour and he really thoroughly researches everything. A great story teller. It includes everything from Kind Arthur and Knights of the ROund Table to Slovakian Folklore, Greek Mythology and the original tales of Aladdin and The Little Mermaid

Arghus wrote: »
    They grow on you after a while. I think they know their audience.

what is their target audience demographic do you reckon then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

I just finished a 10 part podcast from the news website Stuff.co.nz called Black Hands. I saw it recommended on a Casefile discussion page on facebook. It's about a family mass murder in Dunedin, NZ in the nineties.

I thought it was very good and had similarities to Casefile in its detailed presentation of the facts of the case and avoidance of sensationalism, but it does give the presenter's opinion about who did it in the last episode and reasons he thinks so, whereas Casefile tends to give a more neutral presentation of the facts. I felt he did it in a relatively even-handed way though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,601 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

glasso wrote: »
    what is their target audience demographic do you reckon then?

In a word: women.

That's not to say that no men listen to them, but the boom in true crime based media, including pods, is largely driven by a female audience. They have an irreverent attitude on that show - their catchphrase is "stay sexy and don't get murdered" - and it doesn't always appeal to me either, but they are pretty damn popular, so they're obviously doing something right for someone.

Arghus wrote: »
    In a word: women.

- their catchphrase is "stay sexy and don't get murdered" -
    and it doesn't always appeal to me either, but they are pretty damn popular, so they're obviously doing something right for someone.

they're not exactly living their own mantra on the sexy part

maxresdefault.jpg

• Advertisement

Minds of Madness have recently finished a two part interview with a friend of the host who served time for manslaughter. A really good insight into the criminal justice system and prison life. It's a relatively new podcast but has excellent production and a similar delivery to Casefile.

Advertisement