Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Today I listened to...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Enjoying Unspooled. Paul Scheer, - from How Did This Get Made and loads of other things - and Any Nicholson - film critic for a variety of places - work their way through The AFI top 100 list of films and give their thoughts. They try to treat the films with a degree of honesty, they don't shoot them down just because they're sacred cows or praise them unduly because they are revered. They're funny as a team and they know their stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

w/s/p/c/ wrote: »
    If there are any true crime fans out there, I would recommend to listen to "Last Seen".

Its a podcast about the theft of 13 irreplaceable artworks (by Rembrandt and others) from the Isabella Stewart Gardner museum in Boston in 1990.

They have never been recovered and the case is still open. The estimate the art's worth at around half a billion dollars today. Only 4 episodes so far, its a weekly podcast, downloaded and listened to it all yesterday can't wait to hear more, I have been avoiding looking up anything to do with the case on-line!

Never heard of these robberies. Listened to the first three episodes so far and hooked. Cheers for the recommendation. There is also videos and pictures on the podcast site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

Never heard of these robberies. Listened to the first three episodes so far and hooked. Cheers for the recommendation. There is also videos and pictures on the podcast site.

No bother, glad to hear I am not the only one enjoying it! Thanks for the heads up on the podcast site, I also never heard of this robbery, gonna resist looking into it until the show is done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

If there are any true crime fans out there, I would recommend to listen to "Last Seen".

Its a podcast about the theft of 13 irreplaceable artworks (by Rembrandt and others) from the Isabella Stewart Gardner museum in Boston in 1990.

They have never been recovered and the case is still open. The estimate the art's worth at around half a billion dollars today. Only 4 episodes so far, its a weekly podcast, downloaded and listened to it all yesterday can't wait to hear more, I have been avoiding looking up anything to do with the case on-line!

This was also covered off in the podcast "empty Frames" by the guy who did the missing maura murray podcast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Listened to the first 2 of that Last Seen podcast, was very good!!

Also listened to a couple of episodes of Case File, specifically The Toy Box and Katherine Knight. Christ! These, while compelling, just leave me feeling uneasy. I'm not quite sure I can say I enjoy them. Not sure I'll listen to any more.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,550 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Don't shoot, I'm disabled.

BBC World Service doc about law enforcement, shootings and disabled people.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06mxl35

Tragic, really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Pelvis wrote: »
    Also listened to a couple of episodes of Case File, specifically The Toy Box and Katherine Knight. Christ! These, while compelling, just leave me feeling uneasy. I'm not quite sure I can say I enjoy them. Not sure I'll listen to any more.

There are a lot of less gruesome/disturbing episodes than those two. It's a great podcast, I would recommend that you listen to a couple more episodes :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Has anyone listened to 'Escaping NXIVM'?

Its very addictive, about a multilevel marketing cult, the one Allison Mac from smallville was involved in and is accused of human trafficking!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭fixXxer

GingerLily wrote: »

Its very addictive, about a multilevel marketing cult, the one Allison Mac from smallville was involved in and is accused of human trafficking!

Chloe, not you :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,357 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I am currently listening to
    Intrigue:the ratline
    Really excellent stuff focused on the life of a nazi called Otto wachter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭DublinHun72

On episode 3 now ! Really good

There are a lot of less gruesome/disturbing episodes than those two. It's a great podcast, I would recommend that you listen to a couple more episodes :)
    I tried to listen to casefile but I found the presenters accent very difficult to understand.
    I love criminal, the presenters voice is fantastic the story can be really fascinating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

On episode 3 now ! Really good
    I am also on episode 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

S.M.B. wrote: »
    I am also on episode 3.

I almost don't believe it, strangest thing I've heard in a while!
    Prodcast is very well done :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭IvyTheTerrific

gmisk wrote: »
    I am currently listening to
    Intrigue:the ratline
    Really excellent stuff focused on the life of a nazi called Otto wachter

Yeah it's great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Thanks for the recommendation. I had never heard of this theft before. I'm only on the second podcast but it's very interesting and has captured my attention. It's a nice change to listen to a true crime podcast that doesn't involve death and murder :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭NotInventedHere

RadioLab: In the no - part 1. massively infuriating episode

Criminal - an episode called either or, really excellent stuff.

In 1983, three men were prepared to plead guilty to a violent sexual assault in Anderson, South Carolina. Defense attorneys did not want their clients to go before a jury, and arranged a plea deal. This left the sentencing in the hands of the judge, who gave the assailants a very controversial choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

RadioLab: In the no - part 1. massively infuriating episode

In what way?

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭NotInventedHere

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    In what way?
    Everyone has their personal boundaries, but don’t extrapolate that into universal truths about genders. Kaitlyn displays no self-awareness whatsoever. There was no point where she takes responsibility for putting herself into situations where her behavior invites and convinces her partners of imminent sexual interaction, This is a serious issue that needs serious discussion of what consent is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Everyone has their personal boundaries, but don’t extrapolate that into universal truths about genders. Kaitlyn displays no self-awareness whatsoever. There was no point where she takes responsibility for putting herself into situations where her behavior invites and convinces her partners of imminent sexual interaction, This is a serious issue that needs serious discussion of what consent is.

I couldn't listen to part 2, got me too angry. I mean rape and sexual assault and things thrown around way to loosly. Regret a sexual encounter? You were raped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭Lady Spangles

I've been listening to Dark Histories. A great podcast overall, but the most recent episodes dealing with the Texarkana murders have been really good.

Thanks so much - I'm really loving this!
    I remember the story well, and the Boston Globe still re-publicizes it every few years running updates. Its an amazing story and the podcast format really works well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,550 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Fresh Air

Re the weaponisation of social media - particularly in China, the Middle East and US. Very interesting. Kinda scary re the Chinese government and the monitoring it's doing.

This American Life - #659: Before the Next One.

This was about school shootings, including preparation drills and aftermaths. Parts were as difficult as you can imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

Thanks for the great recommendation. Right up my street. I'd read about it in the news and Alison Mack's involvement but the articles didn't go into much detail.

The guy is essentially an L. Ron Hubbard knock-off with some added sexual deviance. There are so many similarities to Scientology in the terminology and "teachings" its ridiculous.

It kind of proves what a genius Hubbard was. The fact that so many have lifted his formula and made a fortune from gullible self absorbed weirdos is astonishing. Landmark Forum is another group that still operates in Ireland without the bad press Scientology gets.

I have soured a lot on the "Serial" style presentation of these podcasts but I thought this guy got the balance just right. Very unsympathetic bunch of characters but it has to be heard to believed.

Highly recommend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭IvyTheTerrific

Very interesting episode of Radiolab today from an Irish perspective. They were discussing proportional representation (it's being phased in in several places in the US) and a good chunk of the program discussed Ireland.

Very interesting episode of Radiolab today from an Irish perspective. They were discussing proportional representation (it's being phased in in several places in the US) and a good chunk of the program discussed Ireland.

I haven't listened to it yet but I've been saying this for years. They wouldn't be stuck with their awful red vs blue, Hilary or Trump, polar two party system if they adopted it. They have to vote for the least worst at the moment. Turd sandwich or a giant douche. I don't see why the powers that be would want to change anything though.

Latest Reply All about the girl getting her Snapchat hacked was great

Alan Alda's Clear & Vivid interview with a priest, Father Greg Boyle, who works to get people out of gang life.

If we need representative for when aliens make first contact let it be Alda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭steve_r

I tried Linekar's podcast with Danny Baker "Behind Closed doors".

I do like Linekar's wit and would agree with a lot of his views. Baker, however, seems determined to make it backwards focused, terrace chants in the 70's/80's, how the game was in that day etc. His voice also wrecks my head.

Pity - thought I was really going to enjoy it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

They Walk Among Us.

I think this show is now up with Casefile as perhaps the best True Crime show out there. Consistently excellent cases and straight matter of fact recounting of the facts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

It was mentioned on here somewhere already but I can't find the post..., I just finished Stephen Fry's Great Leap Years podcast.

I loved it, humorous, extremely interesting, well researched and delivered IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

steve_r wrote: »
    I tried Linekar's podcast with Danny Baker "Behind Closed doors".

I do like Linekar's wit and would agree with a lot of his views. Baker, however, seems determined to make it backwards focused, terrace chants in the 70's/80's, how the game was in that day etc. His voice also wrecks my head.

Pity - thought I was really going to enjoy it

Would agree on Danny Baker. A pain in the arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭kirk buttercup

I know a few people on here don't really like Joe Rogan but this weeks interview with Jake "the snake " Roberts former pro wrestler with the WWE is incredible , funny, heart-breaking and bat**** crazy all in one, just brilliant!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

It was mentioned on here somewhere already but I can't find the post..., I just finished Stephen Fry's Great Leap Years podcast.

New to me, thanks.
    Added. I like podcasts around the one hour mark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭DublinHun72

Recently came across “Killafornia Dreaming” podcast. Really enjoying them. Unsolved crimes and also murder cases. They did a 3 part on James Bulger case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭Gwildor

I put it up in the recommended podcasts thread. It really was a fantastic listen. Stephen Fry has a few others along a similar theme, but you can only get them on Audible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭fixXxer

I was given a ticket for Dreamgun Film Reads as a present recently so I thought I should start listening to their stuff.

They take a popular movie and do a comedy riff on the script, performing it live. It sounds a bit naff but I'm liking it a lot, had some real laugh out loud moments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Has Household Name been mentioned? Offbeat look at big US stores - quite quirky. Listened to an episode today about the last Blockbuster stores.

fixxxer wrote: »
    I was given a ticket for Dreamgun Film Reads as a present recently so I thought I should start listening to their stuff.

They take a popular movie and do a comedy riff on the script, performing it live. It sounds a bit naff but I'm liking it a lot, had some real laugh out loud moments.

Even better live as you miss out on their expressions etc.

• Advertisement

"For shame Love, for shame" - Doc on 1. Really excellent documentary about a true story. Its available to podcast on the RTE radio website.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭BackforFPL

fixxxer wrote: »

Their live shows are a blast. One of the best comedy nights out you can have in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 JB90

BackforFPL wrote: »
    Their live shows are a blast. One of the best comedy nights out you can have in Dublin.

Just listened to them today...die hard followed by James bond. They're v funny😊

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Another all too rare Dan Carlin episode, continuing with Supernova in the East II.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Another all too rare Dan Carlin episode, continuing with Supernova in the East II.

I'm relistening to the first one before I get into the second.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭All My Stars Aligned

igCorcaigh wrote: »

Dan Carlin's podcasts where what got me into podcasts. They are absolutely amazing.

Dan Carlin's podcasts where what got me into podcasts. They are absolutely amazing.

Must be disappointing to hear other podcasts if you thought hardcore history or common sense was the standard.
    HH is the only podcasts I actually save for future repeat listens.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭All My Stars Aligned

Cienciano wrote: »
    Must be disappointing to hear other podcasts if you thought hardcore history or common sense was the standard.
    HH is the only podcasts I actually save for future repeat listens.

Ya, the bar was set kinda high.

I don't support any podcasts through Patron or the like but I've bought most of his episodes through this website. The work that must go into each episode is amazing. There my go to's when ever I'm driving cross country.

Listened to Snap Judgement's 'This Is Not A Drill' episode. The story of the false Hawaiian missile alert last January. Just seemed to be chaos and a bit alarming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Ya, the bar was set kinda high.

I don't support any podcasts through Patron or the like but I've bought most of his episodes through this website. The work that must go into each episode is amazing. There my go to's when ever I'm driving cross country.

Daniele Bolleli's is as close to DCarlin's out there I'd say. Just a good bit more adverts and a very cool but strong Italian accent leaves the podcast more of a task to listen to.

• Advertisement
Advertisement