Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today I listened to...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Summer In the City

Game of our Lives. It's a football podcast but a bit different. The first episode has Werner Herzog as an interview. Makes a nice change from the slog of Second Captains and Football Weekly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,601 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Listened to a few Episodes of Ear Hustle, tales from prison from those inside prison, San Quentin in this case.

Really good. Well made. Well told. It gets pretty real.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭optogirl

Arghus wrote: »
    Listened to a few Episodes of Ear Hustle, tales from prison from those inside prison, San Quentin in this case.

Really good. Well made. Well told. It gets pretty real.

Latest episode was a tough listen - really like it though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

The Skeptics’ Guide to the Universe https://www.theskepticsguide.org/podcast/sgu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

Really enjoying the Breach podcast. It goes into the Yahoo hack and hacking in general but in a very accessible way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭duffer247

This morning I listened to Snap Judgement. It's produced I think by the same public radio that Freakonomics is on. Not sure what the general gist of the pod is but it appears to relay stories on a given theme. Today's them was 'Forgiven'.

The first story was about a woman from New York whose husband was killed by a bomb planted by a terrorist couple in the 1970s. He was NYPD bomb squad. The couple were caught and sent to prison. Many years after, having re married and had another child, the female member of the couple got in touch from prison. And so started a 3 year friendship but there's a bit of a twist...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭steve_r

Intrigued now, will give that a listen

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭duffer247

duffer247 wrote: »
    This morning I listened to Snap Judgement. It's produced I think by the same public radio that Freakonomics is on. Not sure what the general gist of the pod is but it appears to relay stories on a given theme. Today's them was 'Forgiven'.

The first story was about a woman from New York whose husband was killed by a bomb planted by a terrorist couple in the 1970s. He was NYPD bomb squad. The couple were caught and sent to prison. Many years after, having re married and had another child, the female member of the couple got in touch from prison. And so started a 3 year friendship but there's a bit of a twist...

Just seen that the first post in this thread is a review of same podcast and same episode. I thought the episode was New!
    How freaky is that!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Listening to empire on blood, good stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭TJ Mackie

Off topic, but I wish Pocketcasts would allow me to create folders or groups on my subscribed podcasts page, i.e. I could have a "True Crime" folder, or a "Sports" folder.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

TJ Mackie wrote: »
    Off topic, but I wish Pocketcasts would allow me to create folders or groups on my subscribed podcasts page, i.e. I could have a "True Crime" folder, or a "Sports" folder.

Drop them a note. http://support.pocketcasts.com/feedback/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

TJ Mackie wrote: »

You can customise the sort order so maybe a kinda temporary work around is to sort by type.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭TJ Mackie

I see it's been asked on their subreddit a year ago - they said they have their own wishlist and goals they want to accomplish first before getting to user requests.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Does anyone listen to The Frank Skinner Show podcast? If so, are you having trouble with it playing?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 wtspd_2018

Michael Gervais finding Mastery interview with Cal Fussman. Amazing stories.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Radiolab's border trilogy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Look and listen to these two racist far right BIGOTS !!!

How dare Mr. Sowell not confirm to the MSM's representation of a black man!! :p

great talk ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,082 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Starting listening to death in ice Valley from the BBC.

It's good but the story is very patchy so far. Will see how it goes.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I've recently stared listening to podcasts and I'd recommend this.

449236.png

http://www.stephenfry.com/greatleapyears/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

It’s a great idea for a podcast, but I find Fry insufferable. His pomposity comes across in his voice. If he was cake he’d eat himself.

The Finanical Times have a new podcast called Big Picture. First 2 have been great. One about the changing face of works, and the other about the crisis in democratic capitalism in Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

It’s a great idea for a podcast, but I find Fry insufferable.

I can take or leave Fry myself but I think the subject matter of his podcast is interesting enough to overcome any discomfort experienced from his tone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,601 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Listened to The New Yorker radio hour interview with James Comey. Pretty interesting hearing things from the horse's mouth.

British Podcast awards top 20 -

https://twitter.com/britpodawards/status/992386613333450752

Anyone any recomends on that list?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭optogirl

steve_r wrote: »
    British Podcast awards top 20 -

https://twitter.com/britpodawards/status/992386613333450752

Anyone any recomends on that list?

I love Adam Buxton - have loved him since the Adam & Joe show and their BBC 6 Music Show. His podcasts are great - lovely chatty style of interviewing & great guests

optogirl wrote: »
    I love Adam Buxton - have loved him since the Adam & Joe show and their BBC 6 Music Show. His podcasts are great - lovely chatty style of interviewing & great guests

Thanks, will give it a shot

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭shannonman81

optogirl wrote: »

I'm with you on that.
    Song wars!
    I still go back and listen to them.
    I do love his interview style, it's just a chat where he manages to get the subject to open up more than they maybe would in a more formal setting.
    He has found his niche.

Business Wars
    https://wondery.com/shows/business-wars/

They have done Netflix vs Blockbuster, IBM, Adidas vs Nike.

The style is sort of dramatization in a way - entertaining stuff if you are interested in business. some annoying ad placement mid-podcast.

would still recommend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

glasso wrote: »
    Business Wars
    https://wondery.com/shows/business-wars/

They have done Netflix vs Blockbuster, IBM, Adidas vs Nike.

The style is sort of dramatization in a way - entertaining stuff if you are interested in business. some annoying ad placement mid-podcast.

would still recommend.

Yes, the ads are annoying, but I am enjoying this.

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Yes, the ads are annoying, but I am enjoying this.

the presenter, even though he borders on cheese occasionally, does set the scene well and the background sound effects that they put in to evoke the era that they are talking about actually do work.

• Advertisement

I'm with you on that.
    Song wars!
    I still go back and listen to them.
    I do love his interview style, it's just a chat where he manages to get the subject to open up more than they maybe would in a more formal setting.
    He has found his niche.

Yeah, listened to the interview with Michael Lewis and really enjoyed it.
    There's a lot to be said for an interview where the interviewer listens and asks the right questions as a result. I think some interviewers think they need a "gotcha moment", or just ask their questions regardless and don't focus on the answers.

Podcasts are a good medium for these longer conversations

Advertisement