Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today I listened to...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

MillField wrote: »
    Swindled is a great podcast about white collar crime
    Great tip, gripping stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭optogirl

At the moment enjoying

Who the hell is Hamish

Over my Dead Body

The Drop Out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Any podcast series (or just single episodes of a series) that discusses the grind of a 9-5 job, alternative approaches, changes in philosophy re: the working day etc.?

Really liked the Johann Hari episode of Joe Rogan when he started talking about this towards the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Really enjoying The Infinite Monkey Cage.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

I listened to the first 4 episodes of a new series called The Dropout. It's about the Elizabeth Holmes/Theranos fraud. She claimed to have invented a new technology that would allow all kinds of bloodtests to be done with just a drop of blood - not the vials of blood we previously have to draw. Her technology is completely fake, of course.

Really good pod showing how far you can take a con if you're rich, white and confident. Very recommended for any white-collar crime fans.

• Advertisement

The current run of "American scandal" is about the hare Krishna murders. Good so far.

neris wrote: »
    Got listening to this for some reason. About an american football player who was jailed for murder and then committed suicide. Only listened to 1st episode but its not bad. Based on investigations done by journalists at the Boston Globe newspaper.

https://wondery.com/shows/gladiator/

Pretty poor overall. Gets worse as it goes along.

Really stretches to try to make conclusions near the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,064 ✭✭✭✭neris

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    I listened to the first 4 episodes of a new series called The Dropout. It's about the Elizabeth Holmes/Theranos fraud. She claimed to have invented a new technology that would allow all kinds of bloodtests to be done with just a drop of blood - not the vials of blood we previously have to draw. Her technology is completely fake, of course.

Really good pod showing how far you can take a con if you're rich, white and confident. Very recommended for any white-collar crime fans.

I read a book about that last year, bad blood. best book ive read in a long time so will defo be downloading that

Hope Elizabeth Holmes gets jail.

Nutter sociopath, if not psychopath.

Scientist employee driven to suicide over pressure to pretend / falsify, patients blood tests maybe not giving proper results etc.

The money fraud is the least of the crimes.

Listened to the episode on FIFA, between the long silences and the guys voice I thought I was going to fall asleep

• Advertisement

Ciaran_B wrote: »

They have a show on that on TV in the states thats out monday so sure it will be online somewhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭Gwildor

Listened to the episode on FIFA, between the long silences and the guys voice I thought I was going to fall asleep

I find the same thing. It's a shame too because the subject matters are actually quite interesting. I think I'll stick with it for now and hope it improves with time.

yes the swindled guy manages to butcher potentially interesting topics imo.

both with his boring voice and the material.

don't find it very good at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

Listen to Swindled on 1.5 speed and it's much better ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭optogirl

Find him very hard to listen to - I'm zoning out a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,285 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Just started listening to Inside the Black Box today.

First couple of episodes are short, but interesting. It's done more in Casefile style than an overly dramatic style. So I suppose it could be seen as a little dry, but I prefer the facts approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭kirk buttercup

The Drop out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭Gwildor

The Ricky Gervais Guide Too....

Starting to find a lot of very good Podcasts/ series on Audible. Some really good true crime stuff too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭jay0109

The Anfield Wrap

I'm not a Liverpool fan at all but the latest podcast was recommended to me by a friend. It features a discussion with a lad who's written a book on football culture, focusing on Barca when Pep took over.
    Really good show and some great stories of what was going on with Ronaldinho, Zlatan, Messi in his early days etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭megapixel

Crime Junkie
    https://crimejunkiepodcast.com/
    Love listening to these when i'm out walking or in work.

The Dalkon Shield (ep36) is very interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Gwildor wrote: »
    The Ricky Gervais Guide Too....

Starting to find a lot of very good Podcasts/ series on Audible. Some really good true crime stuff too.
    I was happy to stumble upon these last week then realised I had listened to them 10 years ago :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Has anyone listened to the latest Mensrea? I feel like getting sick - I advice skipping this one, or at least the details of the crime.

Edit: Episode is Tortures Teens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

GingerLily wrote: »
    Has anyone listened to the latest Mensrea? I feel like getting sick - I advice skipping this one, or at least the details of the crime.

Tough listen alright, can't believe i never heard of the first case before, appalling

GingerLily wrote: »

Just seen it pop up on my app, but know nothing about the crime :-/

Thought I'd give Those Conspiracy Guys a listen as I'd seen them described as a comedy podcast. Unsubscribed after the Sandyhook episode. So many things wrong with how they handled that. Awful awful stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

fixxxer wrote: »

Thought I'd give Those Conspiracy Guys a listen as I'd seen them described as a comedy podcast. Unsubscribed after the Sandyhook episode. So many things wrong with how they handled that. Awful awful stuff.

I didn't even make it through that episode, I've already heard awful stuff about what the victims families are dealing with and I don't want to be a part of that Infowars stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

I’ve been subscribed to those guys for a while but haven’t given them a listen yet. Surely Sandyhook isn’t even a conspiracy though?

I’ve been subscribed to those guys for a while but haven’t given them a listen yet. Surely Sandyhook isn’t even a conspiracy though?

Sandyhook was "Bull****. Unanimously voted bull****". They don't think it happened, a false flag operation for.... reasons.

It's also infantile in places, like where one of the guys says she wouldnt have shot the school nurse because he remembered his school nurse had"nice veiny tits" "I like that, they look alive......well maybe not for long" Queue much lols from the group.

Looking back, I don't know what I was expecting but it was just so so bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

[
    Sandyhook was "Bull****. Unanimously voted bull****". They don't think it happened, a false flag operation for.... reasons.

It's also infantile in places, like where one of the guys says she wouldnt have shot the school nurse because he remembered his school nurse had"nice veiny tits" "I like that, they look alive......well maybe not for long" Queue much lols from the group.

Looking back, I don't know what I was expecting but it was just so so bad.

Jesus. I’m unfollowing them everywhere. I know there’s a lot to be said for listening to other people’s views and trying to understand another perspective but that’s just insane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭steve_r

Few I've tried recently

- New Michael Lewis podcast "Against the rules" which seems to be looking at fairness in society, first episode is looking at NBA referees. If you like his books you'll like this.

- You are not so smart - saw this recommended elsewhere and gave the first episode a listen, all about how your brain pays attention to what's going on around it. Interesting but I'm not sure if I'll go back to it.

- That Peter Crouch podcast - would recommend if you are an EPL fan

- No Encore - an Irish music podcast which I really enjoy, comes out weekly and covers a broad spectrum of music and music news.

• Advertisement

Dont really go for crime but been listening to a show called "over my dead body". About the murder of a husband in Florida after a bad divorce and access to children. Bit dragged out and slow

Advertisement