Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today I listened to...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Try The Unresolved Podcast - its great. He hasnt released any new episodes in a while but when he does they are EXCELLENT! Its up there with Casefile if you ask me.

I was terrified to be home alone after listening to his episodes on The Original Night Stalker.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

True Crime Brewery covered the Rachel O'Reilly murder in their latest episode. Its rare to see Irish cases covered on US podcasts so I had a listen and they did a good job.

I'm not getting all the love for Casefile tbh, its much improved on its initial episodes but I still find him to be a bit monotone, almost like he's reading from a book than talking off the cuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭steve_r

Listened to an episode of the Storybreakers Podcast. http://www.thestorybreakers.com/

Apperently Final Destination was originally an X-Files script (http://www.brainjet.com/pop-culture/43962/heres-how-the-x-files-was-responsible-for-the-final-destination-franchise/), so they did a performance reading of it as X-Files characters which was quite good.

It appears that this is their thing, they have one up their which is a performance reading of a JJ Abrams superman script, recorded at the Dublin Comic Con.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭CaoimheSquee

Absolutely addicted to Myths & Legends at the moment. And I believe Tanis returns tomorrow.
    Tremendous

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

And the intro theme/jingle to Bill Maher's show has gotten worse.

• Advertisement

eviltwin wrote: »
    True Crime Brewery covered the Rachel O'Reilly murder in their latest episode. Its rare to see Irish cases covered on US podcasts so I had a listen and they did a good job.

Listened to that this morning. Bloody hell, they sound half dead!
    A part from a few annoyances with wrong pronunciations and also mixing up the use Fahrenheit and Celsius it was great to see the case being covered. It appears it was only in 2015 he had yet another appeal overturned, and the "other woman" is still standing by him. I remember well watching that Late Late Show episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I think I'm slightly addicted to Casefile (I blame you Parchment :P)....
    Over the last few days I've listened to the following episodes:
    The Wanda Beach Murders (Case 1)
    The Somerton Man (Case 2)
    Lauria Bible and Ashley Freeman (Case 3)
    Donna Wheeler (Case 5)
    Julian Buchwald and Carolynne Watson (Case 7)
    The lengths someone would go to just to have sex...
    Holly Wells and Jessica Chapam (Case 8)
    The Eriksson Twins (Case 17)
    What the absolute fcuk!
    Peter Falconio (Case 44)
    Port Arthur (Case 45)
    As I was listening I was just hoping that all the killing would stop soon. Absolutely horrific.

You're going to start developing an Australian accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,428 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Cienciano wrote: »
    You're going to start developing an Australian accent.

G'day mate :pac:

G'day mate :pac:

"Hop in me ute mate!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

If you're listening to up and vanished there's big news! Go download the latest episode.

• Advertisement

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Listening to My Favourite Murder at the moment, it's not what I expected. They take the piss out of murderers really, quite funny in a dark way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Listened to HODcast (Humans of Dublin) episode with Jacob Billsborough. He's a Dublin artist who suffers very badly from OCD.. Incredibly sad but interesting listening.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭duffer247

Started listening to Tanis after over dosing on true crime stuff Serial, Undisclosed etc. Picked up Tanis based on recommendation in here. Very interesting and well produced, I'm presuming it's a Radio Drama, as it comes across quite scripted?
    Interested in others' thoughts on it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Have been listening a bit to Joe Rooneys Pod-a-Rooney and enjoying his style. I prefer him to Jarlath Regan..

Listened to his PJ Gallagher interview yesterday. Real laugh out loud at PJ describing working in a warehouse with Jason Byrne when he was young. They weren't being very productive so the company brought over a new manager from England to get the place in order. The lads tied up the new manager and put him in a flight case and couriered the flight case to the Olympia theatre!

Would prefer if Joe got in more non-comedians, but very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

_feedback_ wrote: »
    Have been listening a bit to Joe Rooneys Pod-a-Rooney and enjoying his style. I prefer him to Jarlath Regan..

Listened to his PJ Gallagher interview yesterday. Real laugh out loud at PJ describing working in a warehouse with Jason Byrne when he was young. They weren't being very productive so the company brought over a new manager from England to get the place in order. The lads tied up the new manager and put him in a flight case and couriered the flight case to the Olympia theatre!

Would prefer if Joe got in more non-comedians, but very good.

agree on that , the Jarlath Regan one is too serious sometimes when it doesn't need to be

duffer247 wrote: »
    Started listening to Tanis after over dosing on true crime stuff Serial, Undisclosed etc. Picked up Tanis based on recommendation in here. Very interesting and well produced, I'm presuming it's a Radio Drama, as it comes across quite scripted?
    Interested in others' thoughts on it

Yeah I think some of their actors let them down with giving away how scripted it is unfortunately. However the story can really get quite exhilarating as it goes on.
    The very best way is to listen to it is in a short time. My problem with Tanis is they changed to bi-weekly and it can be quite complicated so picking up wher eyou left off from 2 weeks ago can sometimes be next to impossible as each week they reveal pieces of the puzzle or new clues with many many different characters - some fictional, some historical. I do love it though.

They also do the Black Tapes which I do enjoy but think is a bit inferior. It is straight out ghost and horror stories whereas Tanis tackles myths and legends with a modern twist. It reminds me of the Russian film Stalker with the eternal human quest for the unknown and what other worldly secrets have been found through the centuries.

I would say stick with it!! :D

Today i listened to Itgalz Podcast - new Irish podcast. I guess its a female focused podcast for women, its fun and fresh. Nice to hear an Irish podcast with Irish women discussing matters close to them

I also listened to Part one of Casefiles Moors Murders. Casefile is untouchable in the True Crime podcast genre if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭steve_r

Listened to NPR's Planet Money

Interesting discussions like how economists would control imigration and the economic logic behind money children recieve from the tooth fairy.

Newstalk were recomending Missing Richard Simmons which I plan on checking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

quickly kevin will he score
    a new podcast about 90's football with josh widicombe is quite good, mostly about the mad stories footballers from the time have to tell , mat le tissier and paul merson have been on so far and a comedian elis james talking about bobby gould's time as wales manager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Having finished all the brilliant "Casefile" podcasts I am now listening to a very similar and English based podcast called "They walk among us". Same idea.

I think I have discovered I prefer a narrative rather than a discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭kirk buttercup

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    Having finished all the brilliant "Casefile" podcasts I am now listening to a very similar and English based podcast called "They walk among us". Same idea.

I'm the opposite that's why I think I Prefer True Crime Garage. unfortunately at the rate I'm going I will soon run out of episodes

I'm the opposite that's why I think I Prefer True Crime Garage. unfortunately at the rate I'm going I will soon run out of episodes

i think i slightly prefer a narrative but i do have a soft spot for True Crime Garage - its a nice show to listen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,550 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I think I'm slightly addicted to Casefile (I blame you Parchment :P)....
    Over the last few days I've listened to the following episodes:
    The Wanda Beach Murders (Case 1)
    The Somerton Man (Case 2)
    Lauria Bible and Ashley Freeman (Case 3)
    Donna Wheeler (Case 5)
    Julian Buchwald and Carolynne Watson (Case 7)
    The lengths someone would go to just to have sex...
    Holly Wells and Jessica Chapam (Case 8)
    The Eriksson Twins (Case 17)
    What the absolute fcuk!
    Peter Falconio (Case 44)
    Port Arthur (Case 45)
    As I was listening I was just hoping that all the killing would stop soon. Absolutely horrific.
    Also addicted to Case File, I think my favourite one is the Catholic Mafia podcast as it's essentially a battle of good v evil, where as all the other ones I listened to are just acts of evil.
    I also just listened to the Snowtown Murders podcast..that was pretty tough to listen to, extremely messed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

siblers wrote: »
    the Catholic Mafia podcast as it's essentially a battle of good v evil, where as all the other ones I listened to are just acts of evil.

Unreal stuff. The police man in that was a hero
    It would be quite similar to the film Spotlight.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,527 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Steve keens - debunking economics

The Minds of Madness. It's another true crime one but features some interesting cases.

For anyone on facebook there is a group called Podcasts We Listen To where a lot of hosts post, great information on new and upcoming shows.

ILikeBoats wrote: »

Casefile was a slow burner for me but its a go-to podcast now. Although when he says "this episode involves crimes against children" I often skip on.
    Not the greatest ad for Australia though is it!! Seems like there's always a weirdo in a vest driving a ute or a white holden!:pac:

Anybody listening to Missing Richard Simmons? I was drawn to it as I have vague memories of this fitness guy on tv and the idea of him just disappearing and subsequent investigation sounded great. 3 episodes in and hmmm, seems like Richard has become a recluse not sure there's a crime here.
    Interested in others' thoughts

• Advertisement

duffer247 wrote: »
    Anybody listening to Missing Richard Simmons? I was drawn to it as I have vague memories of this fitness guy on tv and the idea of him just disappearing and subsequent investigation sounded great. 3 episodes in and hmmm, seems like Richard has become a recluse not sure there's a crime here.
    Interested in others' thoughts

Yeah, I listened to a few but had to stop. It's a massive invasion into his privacy imo. I don't feel good listening to it anymore.

Advertisement