Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today I listened to...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭duffer247

eviltwin wrote: »
    Yeah, I listened to a few but had to stop. It's a massive invasion into his privacy imo. I don't feel good listening to it anymore.

@eviltwin Did you think it was any good? I found it bizarre to be investigating somebody and their private life when they're not dead or abducted or even technically missing.
    The sinic in me felt it was a bit of a career move or publicity stunt by the producer/podcaster

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭CaoimheSquee

That's what I felt too, from episode one.
    Either way we are going ot find out that someone is being held against their will or that someone really wants to be left alone.
    The last episode was a total turn around and abrupt end that made me think they had been served with papers. Especially the on record statement that his opinion of the woman Theresa was that she was just doing her job.....Yikes
    Definitely think it was for the best it was cut short.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

duffer247 wrote: »
    @eviltwin Did you think it was any good? I found it bizarre to be investigating somebody and their private life when they're not dead or abducted or even technically missing.
    The sinic in me felt it was a bit of a career move or publicity stunt by the producer/podcaster

I thought it was a good podcast. I was about two episodes in when I found out Simmons was unhappy about the attention so at that point I stopped listening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

I listened to Missing Richard Simmons - i didnt realise it was only going to be 6 episodes, so i listened to the last one today.

I kind of felt a bit off listening to some of it but i dont think they did anything too intrusive really. the guy doing the podcast actually knows Richard so it wasnt (in my opinion) as strange/invasive as some stranger looking into Richards whereabouts.

It was kind of interesting to listen to as i didnt know a lot about Richard but apart from that it wasnt a groundbreaking podcast.

3 episodes in on this and thoroughly recommend. Excellent cast and instantly engaging story line (imo!)

Homecoming
    https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2016/nov/24/homecoming-podcast-catherine-keener-david-schwimmer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

eviltwin wrote: »
    The Minds of Madness. It's another true crime one but features some interesting cases.

This is good.
    I like the theme music - half Goonies, half Stranger Things

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

NPR's Embedded police shootings series is rather good. I think it's managing to be insightful and sensitive, given the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,550 ✭✭✭✭siblers

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    Having finished all the brilliant "Casefile" podcasts I am now listening to a very similar and English based podcast called "They walk among us". Same idea.

I think I have discovered I prefer a narrative rather than a discussion.

Listened to around 20 mins of the first episode of 'They walk among us', I'm not overly gone on the narrator, what I love about Casefile is the narrator's tone and general attitude, he comes across incredibly neutral and focusing only on the facts, almost never gives an opinion on the horrors of what is going on.
    I found the guy doing 'They walk among us' as coming across a bit too 'sensitive'/'emotional' but I will keep listening to see if it grows on me..it's well written and I like the structure of these types of podcasts and I am pretty curious as to the outcome of the first episode.

Parchment wrote: »
    I listened to Missing Richard Simmons - i didnt realise it was only going to be 6 episodes, so i listened to the last one today.

I kind of felt a bit off listening to some of it but i dont think they did anything too intrusive really. the guy doing the podcast actually knows Richard so it wasnt (in my opinion) as strange/invasive as some stranger looking into Richards whereabouts.

It was kind of interesting to listen to as i didnt know a lot about Richard but apart from that it wasnt a groundbreaking podcast.

I thought the fact he actually was 'friends' with him was worse!
    Jeez, with friends like those, who needs enemies!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭steve_r

bubblypop wrote: »
    I thought the fact he actually was 'friends' with him was worse!
    Jeez, with friends like those, who needs enemies!

I felt the same. It's very morally and journalistically dubious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

I've almost finished Sh*t Town the Serial/This American Life production. It's pretty good story. All 7 episodes available to download.

https://stownpodcast.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭duffer247

ElChe32 wrote: »
    I've almost finished Sh*t Town the Serial/This American Life production. It's pretty good story. All 7 episodes available to download.

https://stownpodcast.org/

I'm on Ep3. Very interesting so far.
    It's funny how the American male podcasters begin to sound alike between this guy/Up&Vanished/99%Invisible/Crimetown/Undisclosed etc.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

duffer247 wrote: »
    I'm on Ep3. Very interesting so far.
    It's funny how the American male podcasters begin to sound alike between this guy/Up&Vanished/99%Invisible/Crimetown/Undisclosed etc.:o

They all want to sound like Ira Glass.

Or possibly the bloke on public radio in Parks and Rec

I started listening to Unexplained. I added it to my feed a while back but havent got around to listening to it until now. Also i think i was putting it off as most of the paranormal-ish podcasts are total tinfoil-hat-wearer territory.

But Unexplained is exceptionally good ! so well produced, the guy has a great speaking voice and also its so well researched. I am working my way through the back catalogue. I was listening to an episode about a poltergeist earlier, i didnt realise how scared i was until a door banged due to a window being opened...i jumped! Its brilliant. Give it a go!
    http://www.unexplainedpodcast.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,550 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I'm up to date on Crime Town and I also listen to Case File, any other podcasts worth listening to along those lines? Maybe more along the lines of Crime Town..not sure I could handle another podcast as grim as Case File (as good as it is)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

ahlookit wrote: »
    They all want to sound like Ira Glass.

Or possibly the bloke on public radio in Parks and Rec

Oh, wow - took me a minute there to realise that's Hank Azaria. Nice one - thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

russell brand has new radio show on radio x , listened to the podcast today , very funny

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

siblers wrote: »
    I'm up to date on Crime Town and I also listen to Case File, any other podcasts worth listening to along those lines? Maybe more along the lines of Crime Town..not sure I could handle another podcast as grim as Case File (as good as it is)

True Crime Garage is one of my favourite podcasts of the genre.

siblers wrote: »

Generation Why can be ok - sometimes its a bit "flat" but its a good filler if your stuck for something to listen to. The Unresolved Podcast is really good too but he is erratic with putting episodes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,328 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Oh, wow - took me a minute there to realise that's Hank Azaria. Nice one - thank you!

It ain't, it's Dan Castellaneta (Homer)

• Advertisement

This is great. Closest to Serial Season1 I have found so far..

http://uk.businessinsider.com/reply-all-paul-modrowski-episode-2016-5?r=US&IR=T

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,428 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Patww79 wrote: »

All 7 episodes were released together

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

A lot to get through on The Moors Murders on Casefile True Crime. 3 episodes and the last one is 2 hours! Good listen as usual though, thought the 3rd one was going to be overkill, but it was really interesting as usual

My podcast player is only showing up episode one (March 28th). Must have a look and see if there's any way to push them through for download.

That's a bit odd alright. I use Podcast Addict for Android and they all appeared together.

When I just went to the specific podcast section they were all there. Don't know why they didn't show in my feed but they're all downloaded now.

Enjoy. I've listened to Episode 3 today and about half of Episode 4.

• Advertisement

I listened to the two part podcast from Adam Buxton with Brian Eno. It was ok - i feel like Adam Buxtons podcast has kind of gone downhill, i really enjoyed it at the start but now its pretty boring and a bit of a nerd-fest.

Advertisement