Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today I listened to...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Parchment wrote: »
    I listened to the two part podcast from Adam Buxton with Brian Eno. It was ok - i feel like Adam Buxtons podcast has kind of gone downhill, i really enjoyed it at the start but now its pretty boring and a bit of a nerd-fest.

have to disagree on that , i love his podcasts , great variation of guests . he has people on who have been on on other podcasts but his go off on such weird tangents that make them unique
    brian eno and the johnny greenwood ones were always going to be nerd fests but i love both artists

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭BackforFPL

peteeeed wrote: »
    have to disagree on that , i love his podcasts , great variation of guests . he has people on who have been on on other podcasts but his go off on such weird tangents that make them unique
    brian eno and the johnny greenwood ones were always going to be nerd fests but i love both artists

Complaining that a Brian Eno interview is a nerdfest is like saying an interview with Roy Keane was too sports-centric.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

BackforFPL wrote: »
    Complaining that a Brian Eno interview is a nerdfest is like saying an interview with Roy Keane was too sports-centric.

I meant the podcast in general. I appreciate Enos work but the podcast has become a bit too navel-gazey for my liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭BackforFPL

Parchment wrote: »
    I meant the podcast in general. I appreciate Enos work but the podcast has become a bit too navel-gazey for my liking.

I was just yanking your chain. Sorry dude.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

I'm trying to download new episodes of Serial and nothing happening, using Podcast addict. Anyone else having this problem?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Do you need to download it under it's own name - S-town?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

pilly wrote: »
    I'm trying to download new episodes of Serial and nothing happening, using Podcast addict. Anyone else having this problem?

Search for 'S-town' instead of Serial

Search for 'S-town' instead of Serial

Thanks, yeah, it's coming up with a trailer alright and a 2 minute segment saying all 7 episodes are now available but they're not there to download if that makes sense?

I'm fairly new to podcast addict. :o

Thanks, yeah, it's coming up with a trailer alright and a 2 minute segment saying all 7 episodes are now available but they're not there to download if that makes sense?

I'm fairly new to podcast addict. :o

You sorted now?

You sorted now?

No, still only trailers?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

No, still only trailers?

When you open the Podcast Addict app and it lists all your subscribed podcasts, near the top-right corner there should be an icon with a 'plus' symbol surrounded by a circle. Tap that icon to search for the a new podcast. Tap 'search engine' on the next screen and type 'S-town'.

The podcast should appear, click on it and then 'subscribe'. Go back to your list of podcasts and it should appear there then.

When you open the Podcast Addict app and it lists all your subscribed podcasts, near the top-right corner there should be an icon with a 'plus' symbol surrounded by a circle. Tap that icon to search for the a new podcast. Tap 'search engine' on the next screen and type 'S-town'.

The podcast should appear, click on it and then 'subscribe'. Go back to your list of podcasts and it should appear there then.

That worked. Thanks so much, that's made my day now. I'll go out walking this evening with the doggie and start listening. :):)

That worked. Thanks so much, that's made my day now. I'll go out walking this evening with the doggie and start listening. :):)

Glad to be of help! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Science Vs.

Lemmings episode. Wasn't a huge fan, tbh. They've done better work than this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

Over the last few weeks I have listened to every episode of Casefile. What a great show.

The presenter has such a natural presentation style. Even on the long multi-episode shows he never gets dull. It always feels like he is telling you the story rather than just reading a summary of it. He also manages to paint a great establishing picture for each case and leads you through the twists and turns of even some of the most complicated case with clarity. I'd definitely recommend this as the best true crime podcast I have listened to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,601 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I'd have to agree with you there. I'm not a true crime nut at all, but even I find Casefile to be rivetting stuff. I like the way he just gets on with it, telling you the story from the beginning until he finishes at the end, with minimal ads and no digressions. So many pods suffer from indulgent hosts who just go off on tangents, not Mr. Casefile. Kinda love the fact that he's anonymous.

I've been listening to ****town and I have to say I don't get it. To me he's just taking the piss out of trailer trash?

I've been listening to ****town and I have to say I don't get it. To me he's just taking the piss out of trailer trash?

I listened to it all, and i didn't see it like that, maybe one or two episodes. I know the story went off on a complete tangent in episode 3 or 4, but he seems to really like John B. And i thought he showed the rest of them honestly, i got the impression he kind of liked them?
    It was interesting but at the end, a little disappointing. That's just my impression.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

Very disappointed with the ending, it felt like I missed an episode between 6 and 7?

• Advertisement

youngblood wrote: »
    Very disappointed with the ending, it felt like I missed an episode between 6 and 7?

I haven't finished it yet but no real urge to.

I haven't finished it yet but no real urge to.

Same as. I only have Episode 7 remaining but will probably only listen to it for the sake of completing the series rather than actually wanting to hear it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Arbie

Same as. I only have Episode 7 remaining but will probably only listen to it for the sake of completing the series rather than actually wanting to hear it.

It was an interesting story in parts but some of it was quite repetitive or just filler. It could really have been cut down to a couple of episodes, possibly even 1 episode!

Arbie wrote: »
    It was an interesting story in parts but some of it was quite repetitive or just filler. It could really have been cut down to a couple of episodes, possibly even 1 episode!

Agreed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

i have listened to the first four episodes of S-town....and i dont feel the urge to listen to anymore.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Science Vs. GMOs

A vast improvement on their previous episode.

Reflections on Terror: 50 Years Behind the Headlines

BBC World Service doc.

I highly recommend anything and everything Taylor's back catalogue. His work has always impressed me.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/documentaries/2008/05/080530_age_of_terror_one.shtml

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭siblers

DMcL1971 wrote: »
    Over the last few weeks I have listened to every episode of Casefile. What a great show.

The presenter has such a natural presentation style. Even on the long multi-episode shows he never gets dull. It always feels like he is telling you the story rather than just reading a summary of it. He also manages to paint a great establishing picture for each case and leads you through the twists and turns of even some of the most complicated case with clarity. I'd definitely recommend this as the best true crime podcast I have listened to.

I love Casefile, the first one I listened to was Port Arthur and within 2 minutes I was hooked. The narrator is superb, his tone is always spot on and he is so clear the way he speaks. The backround staff deserve huge credit for the way they script each episode. I just listened to the Yorkshire Ripper episodes and it was amazing to listen to, it's a great way to get an insight into how murder investigations/forensics/policing/public opinion etc. has changed or not changed over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭kirk buttercup

Just on the Last episode of S-Town now and have to say I found it fascinating . I know some on here thought it could have been done in a couple of episodes , I personally found it was just about the right length allowing the listener time to become immersed in the deep south culture as John B.'s story unfolded. Looking forward to the last episode on the drive home this evening.

Just on the Last episode of S-Town now and have to say I found it fascinating . I know some on here thought it could have been done in a couple of episodes , I personally found it was just about the right length allowing the listener time to become immersed in the deep south culture as John B.'s story unfolded. Looking forward to the last episode on the drive home this evening.

I gave up after episode 3 but I might try go back to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

I gave up after episode 3 but I might try go back to it.

I wouldn't bother, its more about John B's character and his story.

Advertisement