Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today I listened to...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭kirk buttercup

threein99 wrote: »
    I wouldn't bother, its more about John B's character and his story.

have to disagree I thought it was brilliant. I would definitely recommend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

The new episode of Unexplained - it was really good as usual!

I feel like i am at the end of the decent True Crime-type podcasts. I listen to Generation Why (its ok), True Crime Garage, The Unresolved Podcast, Casefile, Thinking Sideways (if im stuck), Missing Maura Murray. I have tried most of the other ones and didnt like them for various reasons.

Any new suggestions to try?!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Parchment wrote: »
    The new episode of Unexplained - it was really good as usual!

I feel like i am at the end of the decent True Crime-type podcasts. I listen to Generation Why (its ok), True Crime Garage, The Unresolved Podcast, Casefile, Thinking Sideways (if im stuck), Missing Maura Murray. I have tried most of the other ones and didnt like them for various reasons.

Any new suggestions to try?!

If you listen to the podcast Crime Writers on...they discuss loads of different crime podcasts, so you might get some ideas. They started with Serial season 1 (the host Rebecca Lavoie was sound producer on Serial) and have expanded.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Over the last few days I've started listening to Rabbits and King Falls Am.

Rabbits is a kind of suspense podcast, a narrator detailing her search for her missing friend, Yumiko. Yumiko disappears while playing an online game, kind of like Cicada 3301 if anyone remembers it. Or the film, Nerve.

I like Rabbits well enough but find it a little stilted at times and very ad-heavy. But it's the kind of thing I'll stick it out with just to see what happens.

King Falls Am is a fictional radio show with a new host who has just moved into town. It's the perfect mix of Art Bell's Coast to Coast AM, Chris' show in Northern Exposure and Welcome to Nightvale. I wasn't sure if I'd stick with it until about episode 6 but since then I've been really enjoying it. The fake ads are hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

Thanks to the poster who pointed me to casefile. Absolute pertinent listening the last 3 days!! To be honest I prefer the longer episodes but did skip a few when children were involved. I've two small girls and just couldn't listen to it. Harrowing stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Parchment wrote:

My Favourite Murder? I love it.

Pidae.m wrote:
    Thanks to the poster who pointed me to casefile. Absolute pertinent listening the last 3 days!! To be honest I prefer the longer episodes but did skip a few when children were involved. I've two small girls and just couldn't listen to it. Harrowing stuff.

Holly and Jessica one really got to me as I'd a daughter and niece the same ages as them at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Arbie

Yes, thanks for recommending casefile, I've listened to loads over the past few days. Fascinating stuff and the narrator is great - mysterious!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

This weeks casefile gave me chills, really well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,550 ✭✭✭✭siblers

pc7 wrote: »

It was superb, the phone call at the intro had my heart racing. The use of interview audio worked brilliantly alongside the narration. The way the story revelaed itself felt like something out of a TV crime drama

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

siblers wrote: »
    It was superb, the phone call at the intro had my heart racing. The use of interview audio worked brilliantly alongside the narration. The way the story revelaed itself felt like something out of a TV crime drama

Yeah it was brilliant.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Would you have found him guilty? Initially I was 100% sure, then waivered, then went back to sure, it was just excellently done. Must root out the abc documentary they referenced.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,550 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Would you have found him guilty? Initially I was 100% sure, then waivered, then went back to sure, it was just excellently done. Must root out the abc documentary they referenced.
    Didn't realise there was a new one out! I was on about Jennifer Pan, I'll give the Tina Watson episode a listen later on. It's pretty impressive the speed at which they release podcasts cosnidering the level of detail they put into each one

I really enjoy the BBC Radio 4 Quiz podcast. I wish we had Irish equivalents of Brain of Britain and Round Britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭duffer247

yeah I thought both the cases on Jennifer Pan and Tina Watson were excelent

Is it just me or does anyone else feel frustrated when a case hasn't been solved?

I prefer the ones that have an answer.

Maybe it's just my obsessive nature. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭duffer247

Those true crime podcast enthusiasts out there, anybody taken up the huntakiller.com crime mystery thing? Its advertised on a number of the podcasts. I took the plunge last month $25 + the same for p&p less your podcast discount!! Very pricey but very, very interesting nonetheless. Wouldn't say I was hooked but I did decide to give 1 more month ago and make a decision then.
    Be nice if there were a boardsie group of huntakillers!

pilly wrote: »
    My Favourite Murder? I love it.

Cant stand it! I feel like they try to swear as much as possible (and im no prude) but i just find it grating. Its an overly "american" show too - just doesnt work for me.

Cant stand it! I feel like they try to swear as much as possible (and im no prude) but i just find it grating. Its an overly "american" show too - just doesnt work for me.

Yeah they do try too hard sometimes and if you listen to more than one show at time it gets annoying but I find them funny.

I actually started listening to "Anna Faris is Unqualified" today. Enjoyed it - i listened to her episode with Seth Rogan. Its kind of silly fun - Faris is really funny too.

She chats to various actors / "celebs". If you google her name you will know her when you see her, she is married to Chris Pratt too.

I love listening to a female presenter too....its good to break from the True Crime for a while! Im so happy so many people are enjoying Casefile too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,428 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

duffer247 wrote: »
    Those true crime podcast enthusiasts out there, anybody taken up the huntakiller.com crime mystery thing? Its advertised on a number of the podcasts. I took the plunge last month $25 + the same for p&p less your podcast discount!! Very pricey but very, very interesting nonetheless. Wouldn't say I was hooked but I did decide to give 1 more month ago and make a decision then.
    Be nice if there were a boardsie group of huntakillers!

Although I've only heard about it on ads during Case File and I have yet to look up the website, I am intrigued by it.

But $50 per month! No way Pedro! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Lots of love for Casefile, any fans of Sword and Scale?

eviltwin wrote: »
    Lots of love for Casefile, any fans of Sword and Scale?

Deleted it from my feed ages ago. Mike is a twat and its just so trashy/cheesy/gratuitous.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,527 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Deleted it from my feed ages ago. Mike is a twat and its just so trashy/cheesy/gratuitous.

Have to agree there, they tell some interesting stories, but milk everything gratuitously for maximum mawkisness and often in such bad taste. Don't dedicate the episode to a victim of a crime after you've spent ages almost lovingly detailing, in the name of entertainment, each and every wound they suffered on the way to a horrible death - bleurrgh!

siblers wrote: »
    Didn't realise there was a new one out! I was on about Jennifer Pan, I'll give the Tina Watson episode a listen later on. It's pretty impressive the speed at which they release podcasts cosnidering the level of detail they put into each one

Yeah sorry was the Tina Watson one I was talking about. Felt a bit sorry for Jennifer Pan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

I love the way you are always guessing what the out come is.

Yeah sorry was the Tina Watson one I was talking about. Felt a bit sorry for Jennifer Pan!

She was kind of trapped by her parents but lots of people have that. They just move out and stand on their own two feet....not order a hit on their parents! She was a cold and calculating person and then lied endlessly about it.

She was kind of trapped by her parents but lots of people have that. They just move out and stand on their own two feet....not order a hit on their parents! She was a cold and calculating person and then lied endlessly about it.

Aw I know, but it just all seemed to spiral so out of control on her for so long. (Edited incase of spoiler)

We should be careful with spoilers..!

• Advertisement

Arbie wrote: »
    We should be careful with spoilers..!

Sorry, edited my post can't find spoiler tags on phone.

Advertisement