Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I got the itch again!!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I'm pretty sure you cannot move windows to a new motherboard. I could be wrong though but I am pretty sure I am right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭moonlighting

It works in some situations where the motherboard/cpu architecture is similar, but always better to do a fresh install.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

If you've retail windows, its tied to motherboard. OEM can be switched.

Boot into clonezilla with both SSDs in the machine, Clone the 60gb partition over to the Crucial, bam, should be good to go. Worked for me no issue anyways.

I'd still recommend a fresh install.

Need in a €200 motherboard? Can get a decent Z97 for half that. Doubt you're SLIing 970s?

Only need a 500w PSU for a single 970.

Nanoxia DS3 is the case I use, nice, quiet and sleek looking. Pretty much sealed up, aside from the front intakes which have a mesh over them to keep dog hair out. Its €70, big brother DS1 is similar I'd say, at €95.

To be honest with an over clock and a new GPU, there isn't a necessity to buy a new build imo

And you can get The Witcher and whatever the other game is no bother. Just need to 'remind' hwvs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

is that total including shipping? interested on what the 970 comes to with shipping as I recently bought one for myself,. They have it for 370 not 357 when i clicked link btw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

If you've retail windows, its tied to motherboard. OEM can be switched.

Boot into clonezilla with both SSDs in the machine, Clone the 60gb partition over to the Crucial, bam, should be good to go. Worked for me no issue anyways.

I'd still recommend a fresh install.

Need in a €200 motherboard? Can get a decent Z97 for half that. Doubt you're SLIing 970s?

Only need a 500w PSU for a single 970.

Nanoxia DS3 is the case I use, nice, quiet and sleek looking. Pretty much sealed up, aside from the front intakes which have a mesh over them to keep dog hair out. Its €70, big brother DS1 is similar I'd say, at €95.

To be honest with an over clock and a new GPU, there isn't a necessity to buy a new build imo

I got the upgrade disk then downloaded the trial version of windows then used the upgrade disk to make it the full version I dunno if you can still do that and i would have to find the disk ha ha

I was thinking just a new gpu but then the rest is all old and smelly and not new and shiny :pac: :pac: lol . I would need a new ssd anyway as 60 gb is not enough for windows its always nearly full.
    Yeah power supply I could easily drop down if you have suggestions dont mind if its modular or not.

I know the MB is a bit ott but has some nice features on it that i would use in future the wifi and bluetooth for starters took me ages to find one with both built in sub €250
    is that total including shipping? interested on what the 970 comes to with shipping as I recently bought one for myself,. They have it for 370 not 357 when i clicked link btw

still says 357 for me passed it through the german skinflint thing, thats not including shipping

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

I am always impressed with a person who can build his own computer. Congratulations and good for you. Building a machine from scratch it must be satisfying knowing you assembled the parts to make a working Computer. Awesome:cool:

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    I am always impressed with a person who can build his own computer. Congratulations and good for you. Building a machine from scratch it must be satisfying knowing you assembled the parts to make a working Computer. Awesome:cool:

Its really just really expensive lego to be honest :P:P i nearly pooped myself doing it, but it was soo much fun

BeQuiet are pretty sound PSUs, I like mine, would recommend. 500w is about €55.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Richie6904 wrote: »
    Its really just really expensive lego to be honest :P:P i nearly pooped myself doing it, but it was soo much fun

Don't put yourself down plenty of people could not do what you did.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I wouldn't bother recycling, just sell your current machine as it is - it should net you about 600, which goes a long way towards covering your new build and you avoid all the hassle of selling separate parts.

My own opinion is that once overclocked, the 2500K is still very much up to the challenge, and a new card alone would bring your rig in line with the latest spec's to be honest. Sell the GTX670 for about €150, buy a R9 290X or GTX970 for an extra €180 on top of that, and you're laughing with any new release title at max settings at 1080p.

Now of course putting logic aside I understand that it doesn't really scratch that illogical 'itch' we're so familiar with around here!

I wouldn't bother recycling, just sell your current machine as it is - it should net you about 600, which goes a long way towards covering your new build and you avoid all the hassle of selling separate parts.

My own opinion is that once overclocked, the 2500K is still very much up to the challenge, and a new card alone would bring your rig in line with the latest spec's to be honest. Sell the GTX670 for about €150, buy a R9 290X or GTX970 for an extra €180 on top of that, and you're laughing with any new release title at max settings at 1080p.

Now of course putting logic aside I understand that it doesn't really scratch that illogical 'itch' we're so familiar with around here!

Yeah it really is logic vs lust haha, I dunno I could buy a few things now like a 970 and ssd save a load and keep going for a few more years and then when the next few rounds of gpus/cpus are out consider a new comp then or I could just be silly and drop loads on a new one haha.

The gpu option is becoming more and more attractive though, I take it a 980 is just pointless for 1080p, so 970 and ssd, I have a non ref cooler on my cpu so I could happily overclock a bit,

Would a 970 fit in a CM storm enforcer? has any one ever switched case before keeping existing bits?

Could wait for Skylake and AMDs 300 series before a new build, second hand market would skyrocket.

970 should fit. Can get 270mm long cards, think a general 970 is 250-290 so you'd find one. Case can take up to 390mm if you remove a HDD bay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭lickme

Upgrading the 2500k to a 4670k is liking paying 230 euro for a big mac. Absolute waste of money and probably 330 for a big Mac with a new motherboard. Literally nothing be tween them.R9 290 or gtx 970 would be a goods upgrade. Keep your processor and mb is my advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

I agree with Lickme. The 2500K is a great chip and honestly, not even overclock worthy yet. The upgrade would be minimal. Upgrade your SSD (there have been great leaps in performance in 4 years) and get a 970. Spend the rest on a pretty monitor... or two!
    You could do as Terror said either. But trying to get a reasonable price from adverts will be tough.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I wouldnt part with your i5 2500k yet, mine is oced to 4.5ghz and running latest games like witcher 3 and pcars ultra at 60+ fps on my rig.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

I won't be getting back into gaming till VR goes consumer late 2015/early 2016 so will be building something powerful around then. However I built my brother a Z67 Sandybridge system with a 2500K in mid 2011 and he is a big gamer. He upgraded his GTX580 to a 970 when they came out as the 580 was starting to struggle on the latest games, but his 2500K is still more than enough. He OC'd it to 4ghz and there is still at least 500mhz of headroom there as others have said.

So I'm another in the camp that says keep the 2500K and just upgrade the GPU or if you insist on upgrading the CPU, at least wait till August till Skylake comes out. Cure the upgrade bug with something like a cool new case or custom case mods and get the creative juices flowing.

Well what can i say im convinced to stick with the sandybridge, new gpu it is and a few other bits but keeping it well under the 500 mark so saved a bunch thanks guys very much appreciated :)

Advertisement