Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Defining a sub brand

Options
  • 20-05-2015 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭

Hi guys. I have a limited company, my main brand.

I have created another brand name, that I want to be a sub brand to my main brand/company.

I'm just wondering what is the correct wording for my marketing materials.

Lets say my main companies name is MainCompany and my sub brand is NewBrand

Would I say

"NewBrand is a subsidiary of MainCompany"

or

"NewBrand is part of the MainCompany group"

I just want to make sure that it's understood that my new brand name is not it's own company, but just a brand name which is part of my main company.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

bacon? wrote: »

Would I say

"NewBrand is a subsidiary of MainCompany"

or

"NewBrand is part of the MainCompany group"

I just want to make sure that it's understood that my new brand name is not it's own company, but just a brand name which is part of my main company.
    You cannot say either of the above as Newbrand is not an entity with legal status.
    You could state that "Newbrand is a trading style of MainCompany Ltd." or have Maincompany Ltd Trading as (or t/a) Newbrand. If the activities are quite different/distinct, in your position I would consider setting Newbrand up as a separate entity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

NewBrand(s) is a trading style of Maincompany Ltd would be my pick (if it's a similar field of operation).

These 'trading stlyes' are very handy for testing the water, and legal as long as stated on docs/communications/letterheads.
    If one takes off, it can then become an entity. Might save on Accountancy fees also, until maturity.

Also what about a 'holding group' type classification, down the line?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

A brand is not a company or entity, it is a product or service. You seem to be talking about 2 corporate identities here. The simple way to do this is to have the existing company register the second identity as a business name with the CRO. This will also facilitate .ie domain names etc. You must clealy identify the parent ownership on documentation/wedsites/advertising etc. Of course the new name can also be a brandname and if so, you should claim it with a TM symbol.

Advertisement