Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Formula 1 2015: Round 6 - Monaco GP

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭christy c

I can't stand Hamilton but for me it's still a bad call from the team. When the team said we are staying out, he said something like "this is not good, all others will be on options". Team should have responded "stay out, gap is too small" or "Nico is not pitting". HAM does not have all the data.

Must say I got great enjoyment from watching it happen, but definitely a Merc f*ck up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

_rebelkid wrote: »
    I can. I expected it. Look at how the media swarmed around it after; Sky wanted the teams blood, Twitter wanted the same, and Hamilton was the innocent victim. He did everything perfectly, and was robbed "once again" by Mercedes. Exactly the narrative he craves. I mean, he has "Still I Rise" tattooed on his back for f*ck sake...

Yeah, whilst I like Ted, he was definitely after blood in his 2 post race interviews. Still though... when I listened to the following interview, I was full sure Mercedes must have fooked up.... talk about taking a hit for "the team" ...and we now know it was Lewis's call

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I knew from Hamiltons tone in the monaco press conference that he had a large hand in the decision.
    He is a d1ck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭_rebelkid

HighLine wrote: »
    Yeah, whilst I like Ted, he was definitely after blood in his 2 post race interviews. Still though... when I listened to the following interview, I was full sure Mercedes must have fooked up.... talk about taking a hit for "the team" ...and we now know it was Lewis's call

Imagine if Lewis had stayed out. What's the betting he'd have said the team were trying to call him in, and he chose to stay out? Almost 100%. Once I heard Toto mention the tyres, I knew it couldn't be just the team. They don't know how the tyres are physically affecting the car, they're relying on the driver to know what's good and what's bad. Hamilton said they're bad, so the team had to go with it.
    mickdw wrote: »
    I knew from Hamiltons tone in the monaco press conference that he had a large hand in the decision.
    He is a d1ck.

He's not a very good actor, is he... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Definitely blame on both sides, but I'd say the majority of blame still lies with the team... it sounds like they hadn't any clue what they were doing. Stay out, stay out, box box, pit confirm, now we're staying out, box box. Ham did question them on it but they were changing their minds every few seconds. As far as I see it, there were two critical moments.

"Are you sure it's the best thing to stay out"
    Team replied with "No, box end of this lap". After this point he must have thought coming in was the best option, which is why he questioned the later message to stay out.

"Guys, that’s not good. These tyres have lost all their temperature. Everyone is going to be on options now."
    Team again changed their mind to pit Ham, relayed no info on other drivers coming in or not.

Serious case of commentators curse with that crash though.
    -Of course, these are the sorts of battles as well Martin, towards the end of this race when someone makes a do or die move up the inside, it all ends in a bit of a tangle, they career off into the barriers and the safety car comes out.
    -Yeah, the last 3 or 4 laps you might as well have a go
    -If you're out in front, if you've managed a nice gap and you're starting to think a little bit comfortable, this could be why you shouldn't be feeling too comfortable *CRASH* FOR A WHILE
    -OOOH VERSTAPPEN GOES STRAIGHT INTO THE BARRIER AT SAINTE DEVOTE!! And he clipped Romain Grosjean, and that really was a very nasty impact indeed for Max Verstappen, who went in at high speed. You can see his head moving in the cockpit.

There wasn't even 3 corners gone between between them saying it and the crash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

I think the team made the right call in the end, possibly waiting for the call from the data analyst guys. Things change all the time, so realistically the team got it right.

And the driver should have known that this is Monaco, so nobody can get by anyway.

I'm also concerned about the constant 'stay positive' messages. Given that he nearly didn't get the car back to the pits after the race this isn't a good indicator of his attitude. If he's that weak I'm also concerned Rosberg isn't trouncing all over him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

aphex™ wrote: »
    I'm also concerned about the constant 'stay positive' messages. Given that he nearly didn't get the car back to the pits after the race this isn't a good indicator of his attitude. If he's that weak I'm also concerned Rosberg isn't trouncing all over him.

Surprised at the stay positive messages. Seems a bit unnecessary. Wonder if they continued with the stay positives all the way up to the end of the race :D
    That would have done his head in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

aphex™ wrote: »

Stay positive is referring to the virtual safety car (VSC) that was appearing on Ham's dash. If he didn't keep his lap delta positive, he'd be sanctioned for not maintaining speed.
    When the VSC is called out, the marshalling light panels around the track will display 'VSC'.

Drivers will not be allowed to enter the pits, unless it is for the purpose of changing tyres, and they will have to stay above a minimum time set by the FIA at least once in each marshalling sector

Nothing to do with his attitude, every driver would have been hearing the same messages. This is the first time VSC has been used in F1, hence many drivers wouldn't be familiar with driving under VSC conditions. Which is why there were constant reminders to "stay positive".

You'll notice as soon as a real safety car was deployed, they stopped.

Hamilton's tyres going cold had nothing to do with the team, that was just down the the VSC pace. Sounded to me like the team were handling him with kid gloves instead of giving him more information.

Advertisement