Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stephanie Roche has Houston Dash contract terminated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

That was short lived, they didn't give her much of a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

She was anonymous against the US though it would have been a difficult game to impress in. She's done well to milk that goal for all it's worth. Needs to buckle down and get established somewhere again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

They kinda screwed here over, after going to all the trouble of moving over only to be dumped after three months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Wouldn't feel too sorry for her. Got the impression she enjoyed the limelight from that goal a bit too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Pretty standard for US sports. No sentiment, just cut their losses immediately when they think they can improve by doing it.

Hopefully she can find a professional contract somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Didn't like the heat in Texas, Didn't like the language in France.

Doesn't seem like a move outside her hometown would suit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

MD1990 wrote: »
    Wouldn't feel too sorry for her. Got the impression she enjoyed the limelight from that goal a bit too much.

This to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Once in a lifetime event. I'm glad she milked it for all it was worth. She got to live in France for some time and live in the U.S for another while all for doing something she loves. Fair play.

It's a real shame it didn't work out but I watched two of their matches and she wasn't given much of a chance. They've been leaking goals so they've brought in two defenders and sacrificed a good ball playing player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

No way! The bitch. Imagine enjoying your 15 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

How do you feel she should have approached it. Refused interviews? Blanked the awards? Said, no you're grand. I don't need money because I'm a billionaire?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

CSF wrote: »
    This to be honest.

Jaysus lads....

By the way, to be clear, when I said 'she's done well to milk that goal for all it's worth' I mean it. Fair play to her.

But she needs to get back to playing football well consistently and secure a pro contract from here on in through her performances, dedication, etc. I'm sure she can do it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

I wonder what Dean thinks of all this!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

anncoates wrote: »
    How do you feel she should have approached it. Refused interviews? Blanked the awards? Said, no you're grand. I don't need money because I'm a billionaire?

Not that, but didn't she ditch playing for her club in the weeks leading up to the award so she could 'concentrate on the Puskas' or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

liam7831 wrote: »
    They kinda screwed here over, after going to all the trouble of moving over only to be dumped after three months

Ya it's pretty cold. What length of a contract did they give her initially? Surely something of substance for her to up and move to the states no??

Cienciano wrote: »
    No way! The bitch. Imagine enjoying your 15 minutes.
    Do not act smart & put words in my mouth. I don't necessarly blame her for accepting inteviews etc. But the attention she got from the Irish media for a great goal was cringy & way overblown. I thought doing photoshoots was a bit OTT imo.

Do not act smart & put words in my mouth. I don't necessarly blame her for accepting inteviews etc. But the attention she got from the Irish media for a great goal was cringy & way overblown. I thought doing photoshoots was a bit OTT imo.

Oh no. How dare the media try hype up a female footballer who was put on the same page as RVP/Rodriguez for scoring a fantastic goal as an amateur.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/stephanie-roche-on-houston-release-im-shocked-and-disappointed-i-didnt-see-it-coming-31240018.html
    I was basically told that at the minute we have injuries at the back and the club needs more defenders. They can only sign so many international players and because I am one of the higher earners, they cut me.

It was a big shock, I was really enjoying it here. The manager liked me and told me I was one of the best finishers at the club. I didn’t see it coming at all. I am shocked and disappointed

Surely a cut in wages makes more sense if Roche would have agreed? :/

There's a cap on foreign players. They are bringing in an Australian and a Brazilian so they had to cut someone.

• Advertisement

I'm appalled. A club has cut an Irish player? I haven't been this upset since Inter Milan cut Keane and he went on to score a ****eload of goals for us. I'm treating this as personal, screw you Heuston Mash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    I wonder what Dean thinks of all this!!

Now there's someone who really did do well out of all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭miroslavklose

Jesus, couple of people in here couldn't wait to stick the boot in. Hopefully she and Dean don't have to move home and she can get a more stable contract in the US.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,950 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Fair play to her she got all she could out of it, but it did get a bit ridiculous with the constant stories, photoshoots, interviews - she is even a columnist now with the Independent?

To be fair it was a great goal, but the way she was hyped up you'd think she was the female George Best or Ronaldo or something. A great goal does not a world class player make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

I don't remember her miking it that much, did she?

Any examples?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Who's Dean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

The Irish begrudgery of anyone doing anything remotely successful is strong in this thread.

quarryman wrote: »
    I don't remember her miking it that much, did she?

Any examples?

'For media enquires contact blah blah'

I don't think it's debatable that she seized the moment as she should.

This is just off the same page as all the Irish people that were actually offended that an amateur player gatecrashed the fanboy circle jerk of Top Product. And shock horror, made hay from it while the sun shone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

She is no Vivianne Miedema.
    Keep an eye on her during the upcoming WC for women.
    Arguably the biggest talent in womens football today.

Who's Dean?

Yeah listen Stef, I know I'm your partner but I just can't accompany you to the awards or do any publicity with you. I'm really, really worried about what a load of Manchester United and Real Madrid fanboys on an internet forum will think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

So is she actually any good? I've only ever seen that goal so have no idea what kind of player she is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Yeah listen Stef, I know I'm your partner but I just can't accompany me to the awards or do any publicity with you. I'm really, really worried about what a load of Manchester United and Real Madrid fanboys on an internet forum will think.

What are you even on about?

What are you even on about?

The begrudging and hate is exactly the same as when she was nominated for the award. Like offence that an amateur player was even considered. And now it's extended into schadenfreude that she's got what is perceived as a comeuppance.

The tone seems to be that top footballers making as much hay as they can out of their careers is fine, but for her to do it is somehow wrong presumably based on the fact that she's not at the level of those players.

Hopefully she gets another job. Most of us wouldn't turn down a brief fortuitous opportunity to advance ourselves like that if we got the chance.

The begrudging and hate is exactly the same as when she was nominated for the award. And now it's extended into schadenfreude that she's got what is perceived as a comeuppance.

The tone seems to be that top footballers making as much hay as they can out of their careers is fine, but for her to do it is somehow wrong presumably based on the fact that she's not at the level of those players.

Hopefully she gets another job. Most of us wouldn't turn down a brief fortuitous opportunity to advance ourselves like that if we got the chance.

I agree but what had that got to do with somebody asking about Dean Zambra?

• Advertisement

And what had that got to do with somebody asking about Dean Zambra?

Because now he seems to be fair game for sniping on the grounds of little more than accompanying his mot for her 15 minutes of fame.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

That's it lads kick her when shes down.

Because now he seems to be fair game for sniping on the grounds of little more than accompanying his mot for her 15 minutes of fame.

Somebody asked who he was, there's s lot of people here that don't follow the LOI and he's hardly a household name.

Somebody asked who he was, there's s lot of people here that don't follow the LOI and he's hardly a household name.

I took the Dean who to be sarcastic along with the comment before. If not, fair enough. Not a biggie or saying it was overly malicious, just observing.

There does seem to be an underlying schadenfreude that somebody who was judged to have 'bluffed' it to the competition (just read the threads at the time) has been dumped.

Basically, re: either of them: most of us in normal careers (especially with a short shelf life) would probably seize a brief opportunity to advance our careers. I mean, if she'd deliberately went low key about it and blanked it all, she'd probably have been upbraided for that or affected her career too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭daheff

In fairness, shes scored one goal, which if it werent captured on camera nobody would have known or cared about.

Its only she did score an excellent goal* AND has an extremely camera friendly face.

She hasn't exactly set the world on fire before or after that goal.

fair play shes tried to make the most of it, but she really needs to deliver more on the pitch than in the media.

*personally think the goal was a bit of a fluke and started because of poor ball control

• Advertisement

This is just off the same page as all the Irish people that were actually offended that an amateur player gatecrashed the fanboy circle jerk of Top Product. And shock horror, made hay from it while the sun shone.
    Lol Im an amateur player myself how would I be offended? All I said was she seemed to enjoy the limelight from the goal a bit too much & quite literally took her eye off the ball. The goal itself was great. Doing photoshoots was ott. How do u think other female footballers who have achieved alot more than her felt about this?
    It was a great goal but it wasn't nothing like Katie Taylor yet she recieved as nearly as much publicity. As a I said I don't blame Roche but so more the Irish media for overhyping the achievement imo.

daheff wrote: »

*personally think the goal was a bit of a fluke and started because of poor ball control

Didn't she do it again in an interview? You can say 90% of those goals are fluke, sure all they do his just hit the thing and hope :pac:

So is she actually any good? I've only ever seen that goal so have no idea what kind of player she is.

Was definitely one of the best in Ireland and has done alright in the Ireland squad even though she had been dropped for a period.

I think if there's an offer from a club in england, she should take it. If it's a semi pro club, she can still do community football work as she has a good bit of coaching experience I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

she annoyed me with her articles in the independent...one slagging off robbie keane if i remember...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Was definitely one of the best in Ireland and has done alright in the Ireland squad even though she had been dropped for a period.

I think if there's an offer from a club in england, she should take it. If it's a semi pro club, she can still do community football work as she has a good bit of coaching experience I think.

Standard here isn't great though is it? How would she compare against the better countries players?

Standard here isn't great though is it? How would she compare against the better countries players?

Well so long as the league stays amateur and WNL teams are training twice a week then it's never going to get to the level of Germany, England or the USA. I don't think she'd make any of their squads to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭daheff

daheff wrote:

Didn't she do it again in an interview? You can say 90% of those goals are fluke, sure all they do his just hit the thing and hope :pac:

i'm baffled by your question? didnt she do what in an interview?Score a goal?

In my view the first touch for that goal was badly miscontrolled. She then made the most of it on the second touch and scored a goal with the third touch.

I'm not saying it wasnt an impressive goal, but it wasnt something that she planned and imho was partly due to poor control in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

The Irish begrudgery of anyone doing anything remotely successful is strong in this thread.

It's just begrudger, what is so Irish about it? It's a common emotion throughout the entire world.
    Have never understood the self loathing Irish thing.

We know why she got so much attention, she's fairly attractive, blond and tall, and is good at kicking a ball.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

daheff wrote: »
    In fairness, shes scored one goal, which if it werent captured on camera nobody would have known or cared about.

Its only she did score an excellent goal* AND has an extremely camera friendly face.

She hasn't exactly set the world on fire before or after that goal.

fair play shes tried to make the most of it, but she really needs to deliver more on the pitch than in the media.

I'm going to guess she has scored more than one goal. What exactly could she do to set the world alight since...

If James Rodriguez's goal wasn't caught on camera no-one would care either - that is a nothing statement, of course if it wasn't on camera, no-one would know.

I don't know quite what people were expecting her to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I guess this just reaffirms that the original goal was more of a fluke than the result of any innate skill, yet another club dropping her shows that clearly she is unable to produce that level of skill on any regular basis.

Nobody expects world class goals every game, but the likes of Van Persie or Rodriguez will go out and produce at a high level again and again, lending credence to the idea that they meant the goals that they scored. We can't say the same for Roche.

• Advertisement
Advertisement