Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stephanie Roche has Houston Dash contract terminated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

She'd probably get a game with Liverpool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Connorzee wrote: »
    She'd probably get a game with Liverpool

More likely she will end up on the game in liverpool the way her career is going :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I guess this just reaffirms that the original goal was more of a fluke than the result of any innate skill, yet another club dropping her shows that clearly she is unable to produce that level of skill on any regular basis.

"Yet another club dropping her" is so incorrect that it's actually beyond funny now. She left Albi of her own accord coz she wasn't happy and she had better offers coming in.

She actually has a knack for decent goals but she's not a striker in the out and out sense. She's a forward who brings others in to play. She's good at holding the ball.
    but the likes of Van Persie or Rodriguez will go out and produce at a high level again and again

Well duh, they have been playing pro ball since their teens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

Out of interest, it said above somewhere (think she said it) that she was one of the higher earners. What would she be on? Was reading earlier that brazilian Marta (29 yr old female equivalent of Pele for those that dont know) was on 18k a month with one of those Swedish teams where she won those leagues with. Serious cash, obviously as she is "the best"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

I guess this just reaffirms that the original goal was more of a fluke than the result of any innate skill, yet another club dropping her shows that clearly she is unable to produce that level of skill on any regular basis.

Nobody expects world class goals every game, but the likes of Van Persie or Rodriguez will go out and produce at a high level again and again, lending credence to the idea that they meant the goals that they scored. We can't say the same for Roche.

Did you just Compare an Amateur footballer to a PL winner and a CL winner?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭daheff

dfx- wrote: »
    I'm going to guess she has scored more than one goal. What exactly could she do to set the world alight since...

If James Rodriguez's goal wasn't caught on camera no-one would care either - that is a nothing statement, of course if it wasn't on camera, no-one would know.

I don't know quite what people were expecting her to do.

Repeatedly score goals....goals of a similar quality (assuming it wasnt a fluke) or create goals/chances for others...dribble like ronaldo/rodriguez/maradona/messi/robben and all at a high level

the difference between Roche & Rodriguez is that he is a known name (and was before his goal)...and has done it at a high level. Unfortunately Roche hasnt.

Don't get me wrong, I genuinely wish she would go and show the world that she could do that and play at the top level week in week out. But i just dont believe shes good enough (and i'm really sad to say that as she seems like a nice girl).

Maybe I'm wrong and she is that good..I just havent seen anything other than that goal to say otherwise. It may be that all the hype has distracted her and she needs to concentrate on her football to show it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

She's probably going to have to live with the consequences of annoying the EPL duvet boys with her temerity for the rest of her life. She'll probably be getting hate emails when she's 60.

Nobody is saying she's as good as Rodriquez or RVP. She just scored a nice goal that somehow caught the public imagination and perhaps played on a sense of people wanting to champion grass roots football for once

All this outraged weirdo match attax style analysis (akin to something my 6 year old kid would do) about who is the most super-duper player is missing the point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

She is a young woman who probably got a little carried away after all the exposure she got from that wonderful goal.

I'm sure that being cut by a team will bring her back down to earth, if she needed that, and I wouldn't be surprised to see another American team sign her up. Imo she would be much better off in New York or Boston where there is a big Irish community.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Mars Bar wrote: »

She actually has a knack for decent goals but she's not a striker in the out and out sense. She's a forward who brings others in to play. She's good at holding the ball.

Shes the female equivalent of Niall Quinn? :pac:

Was disappointed to hear the news last night. Shes right in saying it was business.And the yanks know how to do business. No emotion involved. Though She probably needs to admit she did not make the grade. If she had have made the grade no way they would have cut her. If she had have made the grade and still cut other teams would have been in for her straight away.

• Advertisement

Was disappointed to hear the news last night. Shes right in saying it was business.And the yanks know how to do business. No emotion involved. Though She probably needs to admit she did not make the grade. If she had have made the grade no way they would have cut her. If she had have made the grade and still cut other teams would have been in for her straight away.

She said she has a few clubs showing interest already so she's still in demand.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/stephanie-roche-on-houston-release-my-first-thought-was-my-family-they-have-flights-booked-to-come-over-and-see-me-31240018.html

This is her column on it in the Independent

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/stephanie-roche-houstons-decision-to-release-me-wasnt-about-my-ability-it-was-simply-business-31242453.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

I do get the cap on foreigners and salaries.
    I also get that her release will free up a place for a foreigner.

What i don't get is how money becomes available for another foreigner, assuming she does have a contract which needs to be paid out?

According to soccerway she played 25 minutes this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

inforfun wrote: »

What i don't get is how money becomes available for another foreigner, assuming she does have a contract which needs to be paid out?

I presume it's a salary cap thing so even if her salary for the year was guaranteed (and we don't know if it was), i might nor count agains against the cap once she's cut.

I presume it's a salary cap thing so even if her salary for the year was guaranteed (and we don't know if it was), i might nor count agains against the cap once she's cut.

Bit like the free agent thing in basket ball?
    The way Jordan was paid almost more each year than the Bulls salary cap was?

Bit like the free agent thing in basket ball?
    The way Jordan was paid almost more each year than the Bulls salary cap was?

I don't know anything about basketball so don't know about that but if they wipe here salary from the cap, they can pay someone else the same amount and still be under the limit, even if in reality they still have to pay her what she's owed on top of that.

Total guess on my part as I have no idea if there even is a salary cap in American Women's Football or what the rules are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

anncoates wrote: »
    She's probably going to have to live with the consequences of annoying the EPL duvet boys with her temerity for the rest of her life. She'll probably be getting hate emails when she's 60.

Fantastic, just fantastic. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Nobody expects world class goals every game, but the likes of Van Persie or Rodriguez will go out and produce at a high level again and again, lending credence to the idea that they meant the goals that they scored. We can't say the same for Roche.
    You haven't been watching United this season I take it :)

out of 4 games they played this season shes been on the bench 4 times and came on for a total of 25 mins.

not exactly setting the world alight. I'm guessing Houston had second thoughts.

Hopefully she'll get a game somewhere else and play consistently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Granted its quotes taken from the online media so might be taken out of context but what I dont get is that Roche claims
    " The manager liked me and told me I was one of the best finishers at the club"
    (http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/stephanie-roche-on-houston-release-my-first-thought-was-my-family-they-have-flights-booked-to-come-over-and-see-me-31240018.html)
    Then the appearences show she only got 25 minutes or whatever in 4 games and a quote from the manager says
    “Unfortunately, it came down to her; we just didn’t have the time to wait on her..."
    (http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/stephanie-roche-has-houston-dash-contract-terminated-1.2220208)

Wait on her for what? If she was the best finisher why only give her a few minutes? Was she injured or somerthing?

And with the salary cap, if she was one of the high earners then they either done good business to replace her with 2 other established internationals or bad business with the wages they were paying and not playing her.

Anyway, hope she gets sorted with a club somewhere soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Chrissybhoy

That's exactly it I think she got found out at that level

well apparently roche is now going on trial with Boston breakers. Hopefully this move works out for her and she plays & scores regularily.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/stephanie-roche-things-happen-for-a-reason-im-determined-to-take-my-opportunity-in-boston-31272711.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

I lost all interest in her when she slagged robbie keane and wrote that it was time for him to hang the boots up........yes that same robbie thats prob the best player in the country she is trying to get a club in....

POKERKING wrote: »
    I lost all interest in her when she slagged robbie keane and wrote that it was time for him to hang the boots up........yes that same robbie thats prob the best player in the country she is trying to get a club in....

Same I just think she's overrated and the fame has gotten to her head. Although I do wish her well and hope it works out for her in the states.

She said she believed Robbie should stand aside for the national team.

The fame hasn't gotten to her head. She's so down to earth! She is being given opportunities and she's taking them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

She said she believed Robbie should stand aside for the national team.

The fame hasn't gotten to her head. She's so down to earth! She is being given opportunities and she's taking them.

Hasn't taken opportunities on the field whatsoever since Peamount. Left France after scoring one goal in 10 matches and then got the sack after, what, two starts for Houston?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Omackeral wrote: »
    Hasn't taken opportunities on the field whatsoever since Peamount. Left France after scoring one goal in 10 matches and then got the sack after, what, two starts for Houston?
    Dislike bringing gender into these things usually, but if it was a bloke in the same situation he'd be getting torn apart from all sides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I think it's a case of extreme on both sides, she hasn't done extremely good or extremely bad really. She was unlucky in Houston it seems with the defensive signings needed.

Omackeral wrote: »

She wasn't given her opportunity with Houston. They said she was doing great in training and wasn't far off where she needed to be but they had to let someone go and they had to free up one international for another. If she was American, she'd still be there.

She wasn't given her opportunity with Houston. They said she was doing great in training and wasn't far off where she needed to be but they had to let someone go and they had to free up one international for another. If she was American, she'd still be there.

If she was good enough she would still be there.

Dont think 2 subsitions, totalling 25 minutes in 5 matches is getting where she needed to be.

Think Houston took a marketing gamble with the woman who competed with men for goal of the season.
    And then they found out she actually wasnt that good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

POKERKING wrote: »

hmm KAKA might have a thing to say about that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

There still going on about her on the news, I'm sick to death of her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,632 ✭✭✭✭Sand

TBH, I'm glad to see her take her 15 minutes for all its worth. She might never get the opportunities again that she is getting now, she owes nobody anything. She owes it to herself to extract the maximum she can get whilst newspapers, sponsors and the paying public are interested. If anyone isn't interested they can simply tune out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Is she actually any good? I know she scored worldy but anyone can strike gold as a once off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

rob316 wrote: »
    Is she actually any good? I know she scored worldy but anyone can strike gold as a once off.

She's a solid player nothing more and nothing less, who scored a worldly goal and is milking all the 15 minutes of fame she got from it. I think that's why her naysayer's dislike her, she's a okay player who's getting treated like she's a Female Messi/Ronaldo by the Irish media. I can't blame her going all out and making as much money as she can cause I can't ever see her career ever reaching as big as she did with that Goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭miroslavklose

There still going on about her on the news, I'm sick to death of her.
    It must be very annoying for you that other people are interested in a footballer's career prospects.

It must be very annoying for you that other people are interested in a footballer's career prospects.

What annoys me (slightly, i am not loosing sleep over it) is the modern day attitude towards failure: it is everybodies fault except her own.

It is this
    “I’ll be speaking to two teams in England over the next few days and then I’ll figure out what I’m doing,” Roche said.
    “I’m lucky that there’s a break at the moment for the world cup in most leagues so it gives me time to think.”

that is smelling or arrogance tbh . Like it is her own decision which club she is going to play next if it pleases her while i wouldnt be surprised to see her join an Irish club after the summer because "things just didnt work out"

American women football is probably at the very top as it comes to women football leagues, there is no shame in admitting you are not good enough for that league.

Maybe it is just the way i read that, it is written text, you can read these things in different ways. And i am sure the being the darling of the Irish press isnt helping either in keeping the story fact based.

I have all the time in the world for a good player, i am really interested to see how far Vivianne Miedema will go for example because she is a real talent (18 years of age, playing for German champions Bayern Munchen)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

There is no doubt that:

'I was disappointed to be cut but I understand that the squad needed to go in a different direction. I'm just looking for an opportunity to get into training somewhere and work hard and hopefully I can earn a spot on a team and prove my worth. I'm open to any opportunities that present themselves and hope to have some concrete news soon'.

would be better than the statements she has released. But it can't be easy at the same time as it's in her interest to have media articles about her ongoing situation and it might be difficult to say the bare minimum and leave it at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Ye about 5 people

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

Ye about 5 people

5 people on the news talking about her annoyed you? What news was this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I doubt I'll read a more naive post on boards this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Aidric wrote: »

The last sentence of it is probably true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Aidric wrote: »

Yeah its so weird. Clearly she wasn't good enough, or she would have played more games and minutes.

I've no begrudging attitude or anything like that, she got great exposure for her goal, but if we are honest, the irish have a tendency to go a bit over the top with certain things, and it's normally with football, where people I know don't watch football at all, come along for a trend.

You couldn't go through a radio listen for 30 minutes without it being mentioned, or someone saying to vote, vote vote for her goal. It was a little bit cringy to be honest. Just as I thought the outrage after Paris was embarrassing and ridiculous, but it always appears to be a amplified by essentially, bandwagon jumpers.

Roche has done well to enhance her reputation from the exposure and to secure meaningful lines of income with media appearances, columns etc. By all accounts, it's unlikely a stable career is on the horizon. A player with good ability but wildly inconsistent and simply a passenger too many times in a starting 11.

I'd somewhat agree with those getting a bit sick of every movement she makes being national news.

What annoys me (slightly, i am not loosing sleep over it) is the modern day attitude towards failure: it is everybodies fault except her own.

It is this

that is smelling or arrogance tbh . Like it is her own decision which club she is going to play next if it pleases her while i wouldnt be surprised to see her join an Irish club after the summer because "things just didnt work out"

American women football is probably at the very top as it comes to women football leagues, there is no shame in admitting you are not good enough for that league.

Maybe it is just the way i read that, it is written text, you can read these things in different ways. And i am sure the being the darling of the Irish press isnt helping either in keeping the story fact based.

I have all the time in the world for a good player, i am really interested to see how far Vivianne Miedema will go for example because she is a real talent (18 years of age, playing for German champions Bayern Munchen)
    I think you're interpreting that quote very selectively. Sounds to me like she's saying it's good there's a break because she can take a bit of time and not worry about missing a lot more games if she doesn't take the first offer.

she can take a bit of time and not worry about missing a lot more games if she doesn't take the first offer.

Has there definitely been an offer or is she just in talks?

• Advertisement

Has there definitely been an offer or is she just in talks?
    No idea. I just meant she wouldn't have to panic into taking the first offer regardless of when it comes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

she seams more interested in playing out her career for the Irish media than concentrating on the bread & butter of playing - when any old Irish team became media celebs post WC '94 you had bit players starring on the Late Late , meanwhile couldn't get a game for the club. Football is all about playing for me, the media is secondary (always) - when its the other way round things go belly up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

thebaz wrote: »
    she seams more interested in playing out her career for the Irish media than concentrating on the bread & butter of playing - when any old Irish team became media celebs post WC '94 you had bit players starring on the Late Late , meanwhile couldn't get a game for the club. Football is all about playing for me, the media is secondary (always) - when its the other way round things go belly up

She does remind me a bit of the Simpsons episode where Homer bowls the perfect game and lives off it for just a bit too long. To be fair to her though, most leagues aren't doing much at the minute because of the world cup so she isn't missing much game time anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I have no idea about the ladies abilities as a footballer, all i know is that she scored a goal that came 2nd in the FIFA goal of the year competition.

Maybe she is not a "world class" footballing lady and her chances of making a full time career of it were never that great in the first place.
    However I think she is dead right to take every PR opportunity that comes her way these days, because it will not last and she may as well make hay while the sun shines.

And so what if people are upset that she is in the paper promoting fruit and veg week, what skin is it off our noses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

she seams more interested in playing out her career for the Irish media than concentrating on the bread & butter of playing

But its the bread and butter of playing in womens football. Lets face it, the financial rewards of even a successful career in womens football aren't going to be massive, I wouldn't be surprised to find that the rewards for milking her 5 minutes of fame would dwarf any rewards she might get from knuckling down and scoring goals for a womens football club.

• Advertisement
Advertisement