Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stephanie Roche has Houston Dash contract terminated

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

The way the Irish media kept overhyping the achievement was cringy & embarrassing as a country. Its probably to do with the fact as a country we struggle in International sport & its why the GAA is also so overpraised as well. There is no point overhyping a great moment of skill imo. She didn't score the winning goal in a world cup even though it was a great piece of skill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

She has signed for Sunderland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Paully D wrote: »
    She has signed for Sunderland.

What are Sunderland's women's team like? Would she be a better option than Wickham?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

From the comments section .... I shouldn't have laughed ... I'm sorry .. but I did.
    Laithbheartaigh:
    “It’s great to be at Sunderland Ladies and I can’t wait to get started,where do you keep the mop and bucket” said Roche

CSF wrote: »
    What are Sunderland's women's team like? Would she be a better option than Wickham?

They're canny.

Back in 2010 they were rejected a place in the superleague (Premier League equivalent) for 2011 on "commercial and marketing grounds" despite being one of the better teams in that division and having being top of it for most of the season. They subsequently lost a lot of their best players who went to superleague clubs. It took them a few years to get back but they're currently doing well and are in 4th place in the superleague, 3 points off Champions League qualification.

It'll be interesting to see how Roche gets on. I believe she plays as a striker but as far as I'm aware they play a 4-5-1 with Beth Mead (a 20 year old who is currently joint top goalscorer in the division and who has an insane record over the last few years, something like 100 goals in 100 games last I heard) playing as the central striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

She's more of an off the striker kind of player so maybe Sunderland are looking for options for other formations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Has she started many games? Watched the women's football show, don't remember seeing her much. Last game of the season she started from bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

There's only 14 games in the season so 7 games after coming in halfway through the season isn't so bad.

I think she gets to do coaching with Sunderland's Foundation of Light so that's a huge added bonus in terms of post-football career experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Four starts in the league, didn't manage a league goal unfortunately. Think next season will be better with pre season etc with the club.

Advertisement