Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Humans - Channel 4

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

The "robot" woman in those C4 ads is crazy beautiful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Yes, I want one. She provides all services and you can switch her off.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

More bull**** remakes. A remake of a series that was cancelled due to low viewing figures to replace another series (Utopia) which was cancelled for the same reason and is being remade...

What was it a remake of?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,037 ✭✭✭✭Basq

What was it a remake of?
    Real Humans (Swedish)

Looks good to me.. Neil Maskell's always reliable!

Also Gemma Chan? Wow, that Jack Whitehall's a lucky man!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

The problem with robot servants is that there is no way my missus (and probably anyone elses) would let a robot who looked like that into the house. We'd all end up with robo Mary Harneys:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭conorhal

That ad only made me think of one thing, this exchange between Archer and his cyborg ex Katya:

Archer: Why in the sink…is your vagina?!

Katya: Why? (chuckle) Darling, it was dirty.

Woodhouse: The remedy for which, Miss, if you’ll forgive my boldness-

Katya: Da, Please Woodhouse, I think boldness is needed. What do you suggest?

Woodhouse: White vinegar, mineral oil, and elbow grease. Same thing we used in the RAF to clean the engines of our Sopwith Camels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

The problem with robot servants is that there is no way my missus (and probably anyone elses) would let a robot who looked like that into the house. We'd all end up with robo Mary Harneys:mad:

Thanks! Can't watch it now.

conorhal wrote: »
    That ad only made me think of one thing, this exchange between Archer and his cyborg ex Katya:

Archer: Why in the sink…is your vagina?!

Katya: Why? (chuckle) Darling, it was dirty.

Woodhouse: The remedy for which, Miss, if you’ll forgive my boldness-

Katya: Da, Please Woodhouse, I think boldness is needed. What do you suggest?

Woodhouse: White vinegar, mineral oil, and elbow grease. Same thing we used in the RAF to clean the engines of our Sopwith Camels.

"Plus, it vibrates"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Little bit of the Black Mirrors about this too.

Starting on Channel 4 two weeks ahead of the States on Sunday June 14th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,676 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Jen has left the basement :p

The kind of Asian woman? She's absolutely beautiful - was in Fresh Meat as well.

The kind of Asian woman? She's absolutely beautiful - was in Fresh Meat as well.
    Yep, as I mentioned above.. that's Gemma Chan. She's dating the very lucky Jack Whitehall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Basq wrote: »
    Yep, as I mentioned above.. that's Gemma Chan. She's dating the very lucky Jack Whitehall.

The woman in the ads they were running weeks before they even mentioned the show itself wasn't Gemma Chan, she wasn't Asian.

The woman in the ads they were running weeks before they even mentioned the show itself wasn't Gemma Chan, she wasn't Asian.
    Gemma Chan has only been in the ads I've saw anyways..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Gemma Chan has only been in the ads I've saw anyways..

These were like real adverts for an actual product, no mention of the tv show at all, none of the stars of the actual series were in it I don't think. Had a quick look on YouTube but couldn't find them, hopefully I haven't imagined them!

Edit: Found one

Jack Whitehall is a prick. At least he is now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Bump for this, not sure if I can be bothered. It a bit too slick and safe in the trailers. Ah I'll tape it (watching Jonathan Strange on BBC One) and give it a go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

On now, let's see.
    "Can we change her if she's not pretty?"
    A very happy daddy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

I'm enjoying it. Feel a bit sorry for the old man who doesn't want his replaced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

I'm hooked! Really enjoyed the first episode.

Lisha wrote: »
    I'm enjoying it. Feel a bit sorry for the old man who doesn't want his replaced.
    Think I might just watch it again. Nice to see 'Jen' in a serious role without maltesers, and still as much grasp of IT as before.
    Makes Bad Robots seem like a joke
    Dandelion3 hummingbird2 waterfall1 seashell
    What a chat up line.
    Lots of subtle little singularities, double entendres and triple jeopardies.
    "Don't go unscrewing her"

A lot of black mirror about it. Will continue watching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Geniass

A bit mature at times. Had to switch over when the bald guy visited the blonde synth near the end. Watching it with family.

Some very good actors in it. Really enjoyed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I cant help thinking of Amy Pond when i see Katherine Parkinson. All we need now is the Doctor to appear :)

So far, so good.

Geniass wrote: »
    A bit mature at times. Had to switch over when the bald guy visited the blonde synth near the end. Watching it with family.

Some very good actors in it. Really enjoyed it.

Yes it was a bit ....euww alright.
    C4 continuity announcer did flag it fairly well as for a mature audience though

Lisha wrote: »
    C4 continuity announcer did flag it fairly well as for a mature audience though

Missed that. Although neither of the two cringe moments were gratuitous I would just prefer if my 13 yo daughter wasn't in the room.

Geniass wrote: »
    Missed that. Although neither of the two cringe moments were gratuitous I would just prefer if my 13 yo daughter wasn't in the room.

Yes at end of break just before start of last bit. But I know most people don't watch ads. Might be better at start of hour maybe ?

• Advertisement

I cant help thinking of Amy Pond when i see Katherine Parkinson. All we need now is the Doctor to appear :)

So far, so good.
    ?
    Are you mixing her up with Karen Gillan.
    Both have red hair but that's where similarity ends for me.

Haven't seen William Hurt in a while, aged a lot.
    First noticed Gemma Chan in IT Crowd, female Spock I think:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

wil wrote: »
    First noticed Gemma Chan in IT Crowd, female Spock I think:D
    Spocktacular

I prefer her with the green luminous eyes. Can we make that a thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,349 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I think it has potential. Was surprised that it is based in the present but I suppose that is down to the tight budget they have. Would have been cool if it could have been maybe 20 or 30 years in the future.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    I think it has potential. Was surprised that it is based in the present but I suppose that is down to the tight budget they have. Would have been cool if it could have been maybe 20 or 30 years in the future.

I like the fact that its based now. It makes it weirder and more troubling to think about.

It kind of reminds me of Ex Machina. There was a fantastic discussion there about the sexualization of robots.
    AMKC wrote: »

TBH, I doubt we're even 20-30 years away from having them. If anything, it's much closer than that. It's quite scary how far ahead we are with AI and robotics in general.

• Advertisement

There was a fantastic discussion there about the sexualization of robots.

Don't call them robots, that's too cold and impersonal:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Promising start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I thought it was pretty good. I thought Anita was the most interesting part of the show. Interested to see where it goes from here.
    TBH, I doubt we're even 20-30 years away from having them. If anything, it's much closer than that. It's quite scary how far ahead we are with AI and robotics in general.

I'd like to think so, but I'd be sceptical. Isn't it absurdly difficult to get them to move in a human-like manner? All of the current ones I've seen have the mobility of Hans Moleman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

Really enjoyed it. Likely Blade Runner influenced (the soundtrack is quite Vangelis-esque in parts too).
    Eerie, dystopian... mixed up with just mundane stuff like going to the supermarket and doing the laundry.

There are so many of those dystopian thingies over the past five or so years, but this one, to me, is that bit more compelling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

They're already hitting the factory floor in the form of a robot that can be just shown how to do a task. By the person it's replacing probably.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Really enjoyed it. Likely Blade Runner influenced (the soundtrack is quite Vangelis-esque in parts too).
    Eerie, dystopian... mixed up with just mundane stuff like going to the supermarket and doing the laundry.

There are so many of those dystopian thingies over the past five or so years, but this one, to me, is that bit more compelling.

I actually found the futuristic tinkling soundtrack a bit too on the nose and at odds with the mundane present day backdrop.

Other then that I quite liked it(the show)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

ScumLord wrote: »
    They're already hitting the factory floor in the form of a robot that can be just shown how to do a task. By the person it's replacing probably.

Right, so next week I'm losing my job to this heap of metal. Now will I teach it to do my job as well as me or will I show it ways to murder my scumbag boss. It's a dilemma, Ted.

Its a bleak future Channel 4 portrays.....

Humanoid robots everywhere & 2008 Astra's & Yaris's still rolling around.

Curious direction for technological development.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Its a bleak future Channel 4 portrays.....

Humanoid robots everywhere & 2008 Astra's & Yaris's still rolling around.

Curious direction for technological development.

I think that's the point of it, though.

Apart from the androids everything else is kept the same as it is today, to illustrate that smart robots might be here sooner that people expect.

I think it's a decent show, looking forward to how develops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

I actually found the futuristic tinkling soundtrack a bit too on the nose and at odds with the mundane present day backdrop.
    I actually liked that juxtaposition. :)

I'd say we're under a decade away (if not much less) from these kind of robots and AI being commercially available. If you watch it developing right now, it's utterly terrifying. Just pray that the Singularity never comes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

hqdefault.jpg
    Singularity reminds me of this.

I reckon reaching this level with robots is like accelerating something to the speed of light, the closer you get the more difficult it becomes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

I'd say we're under a decade away (if not much less) from these kind of robots and AI being commercially available. If you watch it developing right now, it's utterly terrifying. Just pray that the Singularity never comes.

Think ten years is pretty optimistic to be honest. This looks a long way from saucy maid robots who can dodge bullets and make lasagne for dinner.

On the side of AI though, that's where it is getting kinda scary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Right, so next week I'm losing my job to this heap of metal. Now will I teach it to do my job as well as me or will I show it ways to murder my scumbag boss. It's a dilemma, Ted.
    I'm sure it will murder you boss eventually either way so I wouldn't worry about it. All robots are homicidal.
    Google and Facebook are battling it out behind the scenes trying to make the most advanced AI. They've both been buying up AI companies. They will be using the AI for searching though, it won't be the malevolent sentient creature we're used to in movies it will just be a more aware search system. That takes up a few warehouses.

The problem with a sentient robot is probably the brain won't fit into a body that's smaller than an airplane and with all our mechanical prowess muscles still have some major advantages over the mechanicals in robots. They can carry out pre planned operations with stunning accuracy but throw them into a changing environment and their laughably slow.

I think AI's (Artifical Intelligence: I'm sure will become a politically incorrect term for them at some stage) will always be big and at best they'll control robots remotely. The problem I see with AI is that we might make them sentient so they have the processing power to do certain jobs, but once they become sentient we can't really force them to do those jobs anymore.

• Advertisement
Advertisement