Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Humans - Channel 4

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Watched the first episode today, found it a bit boring. Not generally a huge fan of sci fi and robots and what not but I thought this sounded interesting. I know first episodes usually have a lot to set up and can be a bit dull so I'm willing to give it a second episode to see how it goes.

It mainly reminded me of Ruairi Robinson's short film Blinky from a few years ago. https://t.co/DZOu3aCvf0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Just got round to it, slick but a bit listless. I can't help but wonder about the way such a machine would be integrated into society. Rather than wanting them to look human I'm pretty such most humans would prefer that the difference between them and us was all too apparent. Also I'm sure we'd make sure they went into sleep mode after a couple of minutes inactivity. You don't want them staring into space in the same room!

Also what the hell was that health warning about? Quite needless

This is currently the pinnacle of AI

http://imgur.com/gallery/K4mWF2n

You're mixing up AI and robotics. Intelligence doesn't need a body, and AI is getting to the point where it can actually teach itself.

This is a very basic example.

https://youtu.be/qv6UVOQ0F44

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Google is technically smarter than any single human being on the planet and has been for many years. Self awareness and cognitive behaviour is a million miles away from that kind of "smart". It's centuries away if even possible.

Following commands is all we will ever see in our lifetime.
    I think now that they've changed the way they go about programing robots, in that they allow them to learn for themselves, that we'll see a much more rapid advancement. Now they can simulate thousands of generations of evolution in minutes. It's still basic creatures they make but it's still evolving at a rapid rate that will likely speed up over the coming years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Polly Sonic

ScumLord wrote: »
    Video

See this is what I mean, that robot has been given the ability and hardware to find it's balance and then was programmed to find it's balance. It's a stretch to even call that learning.

A baby will eventually find it's balance without intervention. A machine will never realise it needs to find it's balance unless it is programmed to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

A baby will eventually find it's balance without intervention. A machine will never realise it needs to find it's balance unless it is programmed to do so.

What if there was a robot to programme other robots to find their balance and while programming them he programmed them to programme others.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

I watched the whole original Swedish series and it was superb. More for the plotting and social commentary than the technology though.
    Hopefully the remake will follow the original plot closely, though if it does there isn't much need for me to watch it! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

"I'm watching you too Laura" - I'm suitably creeped out by that Synth in the family home.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Poor silly Toby!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Euww creepy old pervert!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

"I'm watching you too Laura" - I'm suitably creeped out by that Synth in the family home.

I only caught the last 20 minutes of tonights episode and while I enjoyed it well enough it doesn't seem to promise anything that the twilight zone wouldn't have done in a single 30 minute episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

It could be said that all living things have been biologically preprogrammed from a very early stage, long before any indication of what we term intelligence. Learning to walk, swim, fly is a given from single cell organisms to insects etc.
    A better indication of intelligence is when you go against programming. Free will essentially. We are all programmed to survive, procreate etc. Society, politics, family, even dare I say religion inform other conformities. We adapt to our environments, then so do viruses. I am not sure we even define AI properly let alone know where it begins. Imitation of basic human biological traits is hardly real intelligence if programmed.

Anyway, just caught up with episode 2. Still an interesting exploration. The HSE may have rolled out some of those carer bots already:rolleyes: and hot bots vs teenage boy, what do you expect.
    Would an intelligent robot feel emotion, care about humans, experience exploitation, express human morality. Many times in history we have dispensed with any or all of these indicators of HI.
    Will continue to watch to see where it goes.

Meanwhile how do we know we aren't already subservient to the google brain. Maybe future intelligence is very different to what we expect. The r evolution has begun. I wil:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

I'm not worried about the teenage lad chancing his arm. I'd be more worried about why dad hasn't tried it on yet given that he's married to a neurotic fridge.
    And Inspector Lewis must be glad he's having all his suspicions confirmed - his boss (Rebecca Front) is a bloody robot after all. Morse and Hathaway probably are too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭squonk

I really like this show so far. I'm quite surprised to see something like this from a UK channel. I love the general creepiness of it all and the soundtrack is great also. It's the human interactions that make it for me. The old doctor being held hostage by his medcal 'carer', the wife feeling a bit surplus to requirements, the police man feeling a bit the same and sort of replaced by a younger, fitter model - again like the wife and the young fella chancing his arm for a bit of a feel up! The prostitution angle is more sinister though but that storyline is evolving now. I'm very happy with this show. It's delivering a lot more than I expected.

See this is what I mean, that robot has been given the ability and hardware to find it's balance and then was programmed to find it's balance. It's a stretch to even call that learning.
    I don't know that it is programed to find it's balance. It's programed to move its limbs and work out ways of walking on it's own the same as any living creature would. You are born with the hardware and basic programing to balance at birth, you just have to learn to put it altogether to learn how to walk. Same thing is going on with these robots. The point of the project is that they don't pre program the robots with complex actions, they let the robots figure them out for themselves.

This is why CH4 dropped Big Brother and now have the resources to create great dramas such as this and Utopia,No Offence,Babylon etc
    Its their biggest drama hit in 20 years!
    http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/jun/22/humans-becomes-channel-4s-biggest-drama-hit-in-20-years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Polly Sonic

ScumLord wrote: »
    I don't know that it is programed to find it's balance. It's programed to move its limbs and work out ways of walking on it's own the same as any living creature would

I don't believe this to be the case at all. That's science fiction stuff at this moment in time. Robots can't think for themselves, they can't decide to try stuff out for themselves.

Hey, has anyone else seen the original Swedish series? Is this worth watching if you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Hey, has anyone else seen the original Swedish series? Is this worth watching if you have?

Can anyone give a link to it or it's name.
    I might be interested.

• Advertisement

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    Can anyone give a link to it or it's name.
    I might be interested.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_Humans
    Spoiler city of course if you read down the page too far.

If this remake is an almost identical storyline I'll probably give it a miss.

anyone recognise Mary from Love/Hate

Nurse Ratched pulling a door down was impressive.

So the guy with the dark hair is a Synth too, I think that was revealed last week, but they can drink and get drunk.

Just how much of them is computer and how much is organic?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,573 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I thought it was another good episode.

I think Anita steals the show every week; a really compelling character.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Nurse Ratched pulling a door down was impressive.

So the guy with the dark hair is a Synth too, I think that was revealed last week, but they can drink and get drunk.

Just how much of them is computer and how much is organic?

I don't think he's a synth, I think he's a human with synthetic parts. That dream they all have is probably the accident that led to him needing synth parts.

I think Anita steals the show every week; a really compelling character.

I think Anita is a straight up house-help synth, and is not up to anything in and of itself. It probably has some background programs that it cannot quite understand, like the "no sharing" thing, probably doesn't even realise it's (not) doing that, and is actually telling the truth when it says it can't lie - the mother is just paranoid about all the stuff she thinks it's doing.

What makes me say that is then scene where the older daughter had it hooked up to the laptop, and the Mia personality came out for a second or two, grabbed the girl and asked for help.

I don't think he's a synth, I think he's a human with synthetic parts. That dream they all have is probably the accident that led to him needing synth parts.
    Great shout.

I don't believe this to be the case at all. That's science fiction stuff at this moment in time. Robots can't think for themselves, they can't decide to try stuff out for themselves.
    Did you watch the video posted? They program the robot to try a load of different ways of doing something like walking. No one tells the robot "put one foot in front of the other", they let the robot try putting both feet forward, both feet back and so on until the robot can move effectively. They can speed up the process by running the trials in tandem virtually but the program learns to the best way to move on it's own.

In the original series it was much more obvious who was an android and who wasn't. They act much more "human" in this series.

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    In the original series it was much more obvious who was an android and who wasn't. They act much more "human" in this series.
    That's part of my problem with the show, we go from iPhones to autonomous androids that look identical to humans. I was expecting to see something like a barbie doll when yerone stripped but the way they avoided showing her body shows that she's probably autonomy correct.

They don't really act anything like a robot either. They just move slow and stand bolt upright, it would have been nice to see someone that had some experience with robotics involved with the show.

• Advertisement

Odi, the Synth with the old dude, is more robotic in look and manner, so there's been a gradual "evolution" of these things, I think that's also obliquely shown in the title credits too.

Advertisement