Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next mayor of Kilkenny?

Options
  • 20-05-2015 10:37pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭

So who is going to be the next mayor of Kilkenny and when do they take up the position? Mcguinness time must be up soon. I've heard it will be joe Malone. How is this position filled? Is it if u are a councillor you'll get a crack at it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Personally I'd prefer monarchy with me as King, I'm willing to relocate to my castle at short notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

it's definitely Joe Malone and its elected by majority I believe, FF must have majority on the council or if not independents voting with them.

AFAIK he takes the chains 01/07

• Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Think it's split between FF and FG this council term, so I think it'll be FG turn next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

Joe Malone as Kilkenny mayor would put chills up my spine. A dinosaur if there ever was one. And not even a cool dinosaur like a raptor or a T-Rex. He's like one of those dinosaurs that's half chicken and can't even fend for itself. Even Fianna Fail, the dregs of humanity that they are, couldn't keep face putting him forward as a mayor of the city.

So, eh, David Fitzgerald?

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Mankbag

No, it's supposed to be Joe Malone alright. FF and FG have done a deal on both the County and Borough Councils and are divvying up the mayoralty and county council chairmanship over the five years. FF started with Baby McGuinness and the great Pat Millea last year. FG will have their guys/gals in situ over the next couple of years.

It's called democracy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Mankbag wrote: »
    No, it's supposed to be Joe Malone alright. FF and FG have done a deal on both the County and Borough Councils and are divvying up the mayoralty and county council chairmanship over the five years. FF started with Baby McGuinness and the great Pat Millea last year. FG will have their guys/gals in situ over the next couple of years.

It's called democracy.

That's what I was thinking, they were sharing it between them.
    Between Pat Millea and Bobby Alyward etc it seems the tap of FF gombeens just never stops flowing...

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Deathwish4

Joe Malone, Mayor of Kilkenny? Is it Aprils Fools Day :mad:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

I hope there's a solid Deputy Mayor in place because a huge amount of local businesses and organisations will not want a No backing Mayor associated with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Threadhead wrote: »
    I hope there's a solid Deputy Mayor in place because a huge amount of local businesses and organisations will not want a No backing Mayor associated with them.

I think people will be over it by the time he gets it [if he does get it] Otherwise that's just pettiness on those businesses part.

• Advertisement

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    I think people will be over it by the time he gets it [if he does get it] Otherwise that's just pettiness on those businesses part.

The eyes of the world are on our little country at the moment. It's like an unintentional marketing campaign for the country that the likes of Discover Ireland would plough millions and millions of euro into. Ireland will move up in the ranks of gay destinations and Kilkenny in its backward thinking will put forward a new mayor that is against gay marriage.

I personally think that Patrick mckee is a 2 faced prick but think he would make a great mayor for the coming year.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭1984baby

Joe Malone will not be the next Mayor of Kilkenny. It always changes party every year, depending on who has the majority. I think FG + FF have a pact so it'll be a FG Mayor + deputy mayor and also Chairman and vice of kk co co.

What are the chances we could elect our mayor? I'll answer my own question and say it'll never happen. But anyway wouldn't it be great if we could. Bring a bit of real local debate and pride. At the moment since the people don't get involved nobody really gives a dam.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

1984baby wrote: »
    Joe Malone will not be the next Mayor of Kilkenny. It always changes party every year, depending on who has the majority. I think FG + FF have a pact so it'll be a FG Mayor + deputy mayor and also Chairman and vice of kk co co.

I know Joe through my work, he told me himself he's the next mayor, that was about 6 weeks ago unless its changed since then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Can we just let Malcolm Noonan be mayor every year?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Rochelle

patrickc wrote: »
    I know Joe through my work, he told me himself he's the next mayor, that was about 6 weeks ago unless its changed since then.

Anyone else remember the real reasons Cody booted Malone off the Kilkenny backroom team?

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Mankbag

1984baby wrote: »

Not necessarily. It'll go to whoever has been arranged under the terms of the FG/FF pact. Given that FF didn't have the mayoralty for years and years, it could well be that they get to have the first two mayors of the five-year term.

andyman wrote: »
    Can we just let Malcolm Noonan be mayor every year?
    I think even Malcolm would get tired of that. I nominate Daithi Holohan for honorary Major for his passionate but failed attempt in the election.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Kilkennyfella

Rochelle wrote: »
    Anyone else remember the real reasons Cody booted Malone off the Kilkenny backroom team?

Ye, a fine choice for mayor alright based on that!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Bacon and Cabbage

Rochelle wrote: »

Spill??

• Advertisement

Who up next for 2016-17?

kikel wrote: »
    Who up next for 2016-17?
    I nominate you, I'll even throw in a free packet of crayons to get you started.

catbear wrote: »
    I nominate you, I'll even throw in a free packet of crayons to get you started.

Seriously catbear, is their any need for such a childish comment? Especially after the childish name calling you used towards me during our last interaction.

It's a serious question, no need to nominate anyone as I understand the decision has been made and id like to know who it will be.

Fine, I'll throw in a sketch pad too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Myles Kavanagh.

catbear wrote: »
    Fine, I'll throw in a sketch pad too.

What's the problem? Why all the childish remarks? Can we stuck on topic please.

citykat wrote: »
    Myles Kavanagh.

Thanks citykat. Another comedian.

citykat wrote: »
    Myles Kavanagh.
    I'd second that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

I'm serious. Myles has the gravitas befitting the office. He's also a good advert for beachwear in a landlocked county. Our city is divided as a result of the CAS. Myles could be a force for unification. Feel the Myles!

• Advertisement

What's your problem with Myles?

Advertisement