Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Old suit

• 20-05-2015 11:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭

I have an old suit that is way to big for me, it was a tailored Louis Copeland suit, its in really good condition, I had it up for sale in adverts, but possibly looking for too much.

Anyway is it worth getting it refitted, I have no fashion sense whatsoever, but I'm not giving it to the charity shop. Are pin striped suits gone out as it dont want spend money on something thats going to look dated.

http://www.adverts.ie/suits/louis-copeland-suit-excellent-condition-no-offers/6970589

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭LLewellen Farquarson

Hi JJJJNR,
    It looks double breasted in the photo, even tough it isn't. That's because of the cheap metal hanger it is on. If you rephotographed it with a proper suit hanger, with the button closed, you might get a few offers. (You should NEVER hang suits on metal hangers, it will destroy the shoulders) - same goes for shirts etc.

Also have a google for this
    "dappered the-suit-fit-priority-guide" (remove quotes - I can't post links yet).

If it is "way" too big, I'd say you're wasting your time and money getting it tailored. It is very difficult, nearly impossible to alter the shoulders.

Why not celebrate youre weight loss with a new suit? It doesn't have to be Copeland expensive. Get a less expensive one and get it tailored.

HTH.
    Llewellen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Agree with the above re photographing it on a decent hanger, or maybe you have a friend who could 'model' it for you for a photo, or even an old photo from a wedding or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭lizzyman

Take it to a good tailor (not the local Zipyard etc) and you should be able to get a good idea of what you can do with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

I'd advise you get proper pictures of the suit and also consider lowering the price slightly or at least being open to offers.

If you want to keep the suit I'd bring it to your local tailors and ask them what they can do with it and how much it will cost you. Pin stripes and coming back in and can look great when done properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

You probably are asking too much for it. Clothes don't really go for much online, unless they are vintage or high end designer.

I bought a Hugo Boss suit in LC a few years back but I had issues with it and decided to sell it - I got 50 quid for it. Same thing happened last year, had a grey Paul Smith suit, and I got 100 quid for it. So 50 - 100 might be more realistic.

Better photos and a listing on eBay might help your chances of making more money from it. I'd check it out myself only I'm a 42 long! :)

With regards to refitting, I would say yes. You've probably lost weight around your waist, not your shoulders, so if it still fits on the shoulders, a good tailor will be able to take it in around the body and fit it well around you. Same with the trousers, taking something from 38 to 36 or even 34 shouldn't be too much of a problem. I recommend Danny Geoghegan on Wicklow Street, he does my suits and I've never been disappointed by his work. He actually does all of TM Lewin's alterations as well.

Pinstripes are always "in", as this is classic business dress we're talking about here. A good classic suit will never go out of fashion, it exists outside of fashion. "Fashion" suits, like ultra skinny ones, or tiny narrow lapels like you'd see in River Island - they are to be avoided.

• Advertisement
Advertisement