Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sub €300 Budget Gaming Build (with donated, new and used parts)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Second hand from Cex is fine I'd say. Can't see anywhere you could improve the build tbh, its still gonna be a decent machine for the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭IrishMetalhead

well I'm happy with the CPU since it's a decent L3 quad core CPU but I'm not sure about the GPU TBH, I know the 260X is a decent card but will it be okay for games like BF Hardline and GTA V which are the main games he's looking to play

It'll play them at Medium settings fine I'd say. Check adverts for a second hand 750Ti, and CEX. Mightn't fit the budget but you could get lucky, it'd be a nice step up

Well the handy thing about CEX is that he has a load of games and console accessory tht he could just trade in so he might just fit one into budget or even possibly a 270X but he is a bit of a hoarder tho.

270x would be a savage step up for it. Tell him to get rid of all his console ****, bar maybe exclusives, this machine would rival PS3/360, surpass them with a 270x

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Forget the 965 from CEX. They sell i5's for similar money - second gen 2400's are going for 60 odd and would smash the AMD chip.

Also stretch a few extra euro and they also sell the GTX750 for a few quid more, or else check out adverts. The 260X is fine though for playing those games at 1080p medium settings. You could do far worse.

An i5 would be nice but the problem there is that we dont have a Intel mobo only a AM3+ so going with a i5 would mean having to buy a new motherboard as well.
    Going to stick with the 260x for now since money is a major factor but I'm going to convince him to trade in a.couple of games and we'll decide on what GPU when we know how much they'll give him on the trade ins

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭Corvo

Can I just ask, how much experience do you need in say PC software / IT before you can go about this?

I would love to be involved in PC gaming, I get extremely jealous watching Youtube vids of various games. Unfortunately, Im not very tech savvy. Hence, the console!

Well I've been messing with computers since I was a young teen so I have well over 10 years expierence although I did not build a desktop from scratch till 2009, but I see kids building there own PCs all the time with little experience.
    The main thing you'll need to is plenty of research online (YouTube is the best place to learn) and then have the confidence to go ahead and do it yourself, you'll quickly find at the end that it's a lot easier than you originally thought.
    The hardest thing about it is choosing the components bit luckily we're always here to help

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

/r/pcmasterrace has a a few builds designed around keeping a budget low but having stronger performance then "next gen" consoles

http://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/wiki/builds#wiki_the_next-gen_crusher

Two friends went with the above to dip their toe into PC Gaming and it's pretty impressive performance for the games they play. And has wet their appetite nicely to look into something more powerful down the line.

• Advertisement

same build here will cost closer to €600 tho since the GPU and CPU tho, I make a similar build for clients as a console alternative but using a 270X and a 550W Corsair VS PSU due to price differences here and even then the price of components dd up to just over €500.
    Always burns me up seeing how much cheaper the yanks get there computer goodies for

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

same build here will cost closer to €600 tho since the GPU and CPU tho, I make a similar build for clients as a console alternative but using a 270X and a 550W Corsair VS PSU due to price differences here and even then the price of components dd up to just over €500.
    Always burns me up seeing how much cheaper the yanks get there computer goodies for

Stop, €400 for the GPU I've wanted, although think I might have nabbed a bargain on adverts if the lad gets back to me.

I'll be taking out and replacing a MSI 270x. If I can get the sale to go through, want me to give you a shout on my 270x?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,412 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Corvo wrote: »
    Can I just ask, how much experience do you need in say PC software / IT before you can go about this?

I would love to be involved in PC gaming, I get extremely jealous watching Youtube vids of various games. Unfortunately, Im not very tech savvy. Hence, the console!

I built my first PC a few months ago. It seems daunting but is very doable. Tonnes of guides online will take you through the process step by step - most of it is just clicking and screwing things into place. Myself and two friends had it all done in an afternoon (well, morning-afternoon), and it even turned on first time ;)

Advertisement