Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Threat of Freedom

Options
  • 21-05-2015 6:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭

Looking at western society, I would consider modern slavery to be the coercion to work for promissary notes or credits. A substantial asset in labor for example, but nothing substantial in the promissary note. It has no intrinsic value.
    Because the promissary note is needed to stay alive in most cases, those who do not have promissary notes are reliant on the government and the altruism of the society they live in and around. While also being oppressed by government legislation and the culture of society.
    When people started to lose religion and God, they began to look for another authority figure. The state became "God".
    Freedom from religion, may have brought about a new intellectual enslavement, with the rise of statism or secular asceticism even. A more refined and effective form of control. Justice and culture, instead of fences and whips.

The punishment and apathy towards the lowest classes of society, is the greatest weapon for modern day enslavement. In this case, freedom appears to be lack of responsibility and any means for surviving autonomously.
    When faced with that threat, freedom doesn't sound so good. It seems better to be a slave.

Does that mean that if you wanted to end post modern slavery and create a more valuable form of "freedom", you need to raise up the lowest in society to a point where it is no longer seen as a threat to be lowest?
    And to go further. If the lowest created all the policies in society, all the legislation. Wouldn't we see everyone scrambling for the bottom? Racing in the old direction of freedom, for personal gain and power?
    Aristocracy is seen as a goal in this society I think, not a sickness. With the lowest controlling power, there is a bit of a paradox. Everyone else must be above you and at the same time less powerful.
    It then becomes important and more openly selfless for society to educate the most neglected and underprivileged.
    You must serve as a sacrifice to gain a legislative voice. Leadership, in the primal and instinctual sense.
    Well it sounds unreasonable in practical terms, with this economical and sociopolitical landscape. Or maybe not.
    I think about absolutes a lot, but there is always a journey or adventure involved with change.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

I recently came across a section from Nietzsches "Twilight of the Idols" on Freedom.

Here's a link I found. Sorry I am too lazy to type it out of a book.
    http://www.counter-currents.com/2010/07/nietzsche-on-freedom/
    How is freedom measured in individuals and peoples? According to the resistance which must be overcome, according to the exertion required, to remain on top.
    The highest type of free men should be sought where the highest resistance is constantly overcome: five steps from tyranny, close to the threshold of the danger of servitude.
    This is true psychologically if by “tyrants” are meant inexorable and fearful instincts that provoke the maximum of authority and discipline against themselves; most beautiful type: Julius Caesar.

This is true politically too; one need only go through history. The peoples who had some value, attained some value, never attained it under liberal institutions: it was great danger that made something of them that merits respect. Danger alone acquaints us with our own resources, our virtues, our armor and weapons, our spirit, and forces us to be strong. First principle: one must need to be strong — otherwise one will never become strong.

The threat of freedom i would think is just enough to keep the slaves working, but not enough to move a majority to action at any one time.
    This is my idea of post modern slavery.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement