Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Views from the hills.

Options
  • 21-05-2015 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭

I was driving along the bohernabreena-featherbeds-cruagh-rockbrook road before 7am this morning and I spotted what looked like a smaller version of howth on the horizon. Was it the isle of man? I could clearly see lambey and Irelands eye also so it was not them and the mourne mountains are more to the west when they are visible.

It’s a great drive in the early morning – red squirrels, pheasant, loose sheep (love that term – has so many meanings from the innocent to the naughty) and I sometimes encounter a small herd of what I assume are feral horses up on the featherbeds (sometimes with a stag mixed in for variety).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Not sure what direction you are looking, might it have been the Mourne mountains ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

The mountains of Wales are easily visible from any reasonably high point in South Dublin/North Wicklow on a clear day.

It was more than likely the top of Snowdon if you only saw a single piece of land. I have seen it from the road from Roundwood to Ashford, from some of the housing estates high up in Wicklow town and from the slopes of Carrigollan near the lead mines in South Dublin.

Always impressive!! Looks like an island in the Irish sea where no island should be..

having said that you would need to be looking East. I don't think you would see Snaefell on the Isle of Man as its only 620 metres compared to Snowdon over 1000m and IOM is probably further away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

I was looking North-east, the image being visable just to the left of Howth. I've seen wales from the wicklow mts before - it definitely was not that. Nor was it the mournes - they have a jagged appearence when seen from the dublin hills.

The image was about two-thirds the size of Howth. I've never seen anything like it before.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,932 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

If you saw this/these to the left of Howth, must be the Mourne Mountains?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

You can see the Mournes from the Dublin Mountains when looking north (roughly over Howth). They'll appear as a hazy spiky set of features on the horizon.

I've seen Snowdon from the hills as well, when looking east. Whats cool about that is that due to the curvature of the earth, you can't see the bottom half of it, just the very top sticking over the horizon.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

I'd say it was the Mournes alright.

Advertisement