Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hairball paste?

• 21-05-2015 9:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭

Recently someone recommended a tube of paste that is good for hairballs in cats - I think they said they got it on Amazon.

If anyone could tell me the name of it that would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭ncur

De Furr Um?

http://petstop.ie/mc-defurr-um-cats-70g

Probably available on amazon but the auld tablet is throwing a wobbly and won't load amazon for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

Thank you Ncur - much appreciated.

Do you find it good?

Arya had a bit of an episode two days ago where it seemed like she was going to bring up a hairball but after a bit of a cough and swallow it seemed to pass and nothing actually came up. It hasnt happened since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭ncur

I'm afraid I can't speak from personal experience, I just remembered other posters on this forum saying they used it and found it good.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mark-Chappell-Defurr-UM-Paste-Pack/dp/B006WL2JYG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1432207091&sr=8-1&keywords=defurrum

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=94920998

Thanks a lot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I find Defurrum brilliant for Felix and Poppy. They will only eat it directly from the tube. Before you buy it on Amazon try local pet shops. The Sterling/Euro rate is shocking at the moment. I usually pay about 8.95 in a pet shop for it. You can get malt pastes as well which is essentially what the Defurrum is, but I find Defurrum the best. Toby won't eat it so he gets Dreamies anti-furball treats. I've never heard Jazzy with a furball.

• Advertisement

How does it work Pumpkinseeds?

Im a new cat owner and Maisey doesnt seem to get hairballs - or at least, Ive never seen or heard her trying to cough anything up.

I got a fright when Arya started coughing, but it passed quickly.

MrWalsh wrote: »
    How does it work Pumpkinseeds?

Im a new cat owner and Maisey doesnt seem to get hairballs - or at least, Ive never seen or heard her trying to cough anything up.

I got a fright when Arya started coughing, but it passed quickly.

It comes in a tube and when you hear the cat with a furball you give them about a teaspoon full of the paste, which helps pass the furball through them. You give them a teaspoon then every day for 3 days to make sure they've passed the furball through them and you can give a teaspoon per week as a preventative measure. This is the time of year when their coats will shed more as they get their summer coat. If she gets a furball you'll know, it's a horrible sound. It looks a bit like treacle in a tube, but not as runny.:)

It looks like

Whats the sound like?

Whats the sound like?

It's a weird chokey rattling sound, hard to describe. They generally lower their tummies onto the ground and look as though they're coughing/throwing up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1sp4KC3KS0

It's a weird chokey rattling sound, hard to describe. They generally lower their tummies onto the ground and look as though they're coughing/throwing up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1sp4KC3KS0

Oh thats what it was like!

OK I can stop worrying that she has some awful cat coughing disease now :)

Thanks Pumpkinseeds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

This all makes sense now... OH likes wandering around pet shops picking up treats for his little princess, and he was really put out when Princess Foxy turned her nose up at it.

I should've read the instructions instead of letting pour it onto her bowl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

It looks a bit like treacle in a tube, but not as runny.:)

Mine had one last month, I thought it looked like a slug :(

Dandelion6 wrote: »
    Mine had one last month, I thought it looked like a slug :(

The fur ball? Yeah, they look horrible. The Deffurum helps it to come out the other end. :D

So Arya hasn't coughed since, talked to the vet nurse today and she said to leave off the remedies unless we notice her coughing again.

So Arya hasn't coughed since, talked to the vet nurse today and she said to leave off the remedies unless we notice her coughing again.

Yeah, we only give it to ours when we hear them coughing. Poppy pulls her fur out as an anxiety thing so she gets a lot of furballs.

Advertisement