Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decent places to live in Dublin?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭ash1511

ceekay74 wrote: »
    If you're living west of the square, fair enough. But old bawn, firhouse, kilnamanagh, kingswood are all nice areas.

If I was you I'd be looking along the dart line, north and south side for what is affordable. Then research the area. I'm sure if you ask on here about a particular area people will give you an honest answer.

Absolutely! The views I get here are very honest and based on experiences. The people here are very helpful! :)

Thanks for the dart line suggestion!

To be honest OP if you could at all I'd try to rent in Rathmines/Ranelagh. I lived in Rathmines for 5 years and it's extremely safe and has all the amenities you need and it's only 15 minutes walk (depending what end of Rathmines you live in) to work in Stephens Green.

Obviously you would get more bang for your buck further out but when you factor in time/money/hassle wasted commuting then I don't think you'll be missing too much.

Also if you've just moved to Dublin then living in Rathmines would leave the city on your doorstep to explore easily on evenings or weekends again without having to worry about public transport.

You could also get a 1 bed for between 1,000-1,300 albeit very 'cosy' I'd imagine but for your first year or so in Dublin I'd recommend somewhere close to the city and with a good reputation. As you get more familiar with everything then you can decide whether to move further out.

Basically, don't underestimate public transport costs of living further out or crammed conditions on buses/buses late etc.

http://www.daft.ie/lettings/upper-rathmines-rd-rathmines-dublin/1552281/

edit: sorry I assumed you are new to Dublin which may or may not be the case. I hope my advice is in someway helpful anyway.

Ah, you're grand. We are not new to Dublin but not very old here either. Just been here since a year and a half.

I second you on this. Rathmines, I came to know, is a very decent area. No wonder there aren't many properties available there. We were ready to go to €1100 for a spacious 1 bed apartment in Rathmines but couldn't really get our hands on anything. Nonetheless, we are still trying!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

ash1511 wrote: »
    Thanks. We were earlier thinking of Blanchardstown but then we had no clue about these areas - Blanchardstown, Clonsilla and Mulhuddart. Any idea about the areas?

There's a lot of différent nationalities settled in Dublin 15 . I used to live in thé dublin 6 area before moving to dublin 15 never had any hassle. The shopping centre is great. Parks in the area schools etc. Not forgetting the blanchardstown Institute of technology , national equatics centre, loads of business Parks, bus service is good and a train line also. Connolly hospital is present also with plans to expand

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭fear_factory84

We were ready to go to €1100 for a spacious 1 bed apartment in Rathmines but couldn't really get our hands on anything. Nonetheless, we are still trying!

Do you want mine? I'm in Rathmines since 1 month but I already want to move out to find something bigger, with a garage for my motorbike and a room for guests.
    To have that in rathmines you are over 1600€/month and it's definitely too much for me!!
    Why I am in Rathmines? For all reason that they told you and because it was easier for me to find one in less than 2 weeks.

Do you want mine? I'm in Rathmines since 1 month but I already want to move out to find something bigger, with a garage for my motorbike and a room for guests.
    To have that in rathmines you are over 1600€/month and it's definitely too much for me!!
    Why I am in Rathmines? For all reason that they told you and because it was easier for me to find one in less than 2 weeks.

How much is the rent? Can you share some pictures? Is it spacious enough for 2 people?

• Advertisement

How much is the rent? Can you share some pictures? Is it spacious enough for 2 people?

1100 as you said, I'll send you more info by PM when I'll be behind a pc..

1100 as you said, I'll send you more info by PM when I'll be behind a pc..

Sure. Will wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Just a note on the commute if that one above doesn't work out for you OP. My missus commutes in to city centre every day from Maynooth. Previously she had been getting the bus as the stop was practically outside our door. However, the constant delays, buses being jammed/not showing up and the strikes have moved her onto the train. She has to walk 20 minutes to the station but the train is on time 99% of the time and is not affected by traffic. She is much happier commuting this way than on the bus. My point is for your long term sanity maybe try and get somewhere close to a train station if you can.

Just a note on the commute if that one above doesn't work out for you OP. My missus commutes in to city centre every day from Maynooth. Previously she had been getting the bus as the stop was practically outside our door. However, the constant delays, buses being jammed/not showing up and the strikes have moved her onto the train. She has to walk 20 minutes to the station but the train is on time 99% of the time and is not affected by traffic. She is much happier commuting this way than on the bus. My point is for your long term sanity maybe try and get somewhere close to a train station if you can.

True. We were initially looking at places serviced by buses but reading and also experiencing the bus delays and at times buses not showing up, we have decided to stick with Luas and/or Dart lines only. This will mean that we will have to get our tax saver changed and spend even more on the commuting - but that is another day's hassle.

Yesterday I was waiting bus 140 to go to ikea.. 5min left on screen and it disappeared!
    I got the bus 40 min later...

Dublin bus is a lot like buses in my native city, Rome, with the difference that nobody other than strangers relies on them! And they are way far cheaper (1.5€ for 90 min unlimited travel)...

Returning to thread topic, if you get an house outside m50, you definitely need a car!

• Advertisement
Advertisement