Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Enlisting in the RDF

• 21-05-2015 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I am currently going through the recruitment process for the RDF - Army Reserves. I am just wondering, if you have a Engineering Degree do you get enlisted as Personal (Private 2 Star) or is there an option of getting enlisted as an Officer (2nd Lieutenant).

What are the requirements for training and progression to an Officer?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

You'll enlist as a recruit, the degree wont help you jump the ranks

The traditional path to becoming an officer is

Recruit training
    2* training
    3* training
    PNCO course to become a corporal, and serve as a corporal, you may then be forwarded for the Potential officers course
    SNCO course to become a Sergeant, and serve as a Sergeant, more likely to be forwarded for the Potential officers course at this rank

So fast tracked through the process you would still be looking at 5-6 years but it does take longer and I think the RDF is pretty oversubscribed for officers at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Drover

Thanks for the information. The reason I asked the question was because on the military.ie website it states that 'Most entrants to the Army Reserve join as Enlisted Personnel. The exception to this are ex-Army Officers, Engineers, Architects, Doctors and Dentists.'.

Not sure what they mean by this if being an Engineer, Architect, Doctor or Dentist does not mean you enlist at a different rank unless they are referring to ex-Army Engineers.

This was got from the Rank Structure for the Army Reserves section. Would post link but as a new user to boards.ie I am restricted for posting URLs and images.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

Drover wrote: »
    Thanks for the information. The reason I asked the question was because on the military.ie website it states that 'Most entrants to the Army Reserve join as Enlisted Personnel. The exception to this are ex-Army Officers, Engineers, Architects, Doctors and Dentists.'.

Not sure what they mean by this if being an Engineer, Architect, Doctor or Dentist does not mean you enlist at a different rank unless they are referring to ex-Army Engineers.

This was got from the Rank Structure for the Army Reserves section. Would post link but as a new user to boards.ie I am restricted for posting URLs and images.

Drover, you CAN join the RDF as what's called a 'Direct Entry' officer. You hold a commission and join at the rank of 2nd L (or sometimes Capt). You'll get paid more for your training (which is of less duration).

However, two things to consider:

Firstly, they'll only give a DE commission if there is a requirement for same. So basically, you should contact the recruitment office for your Brigade and ask to speak to someone who can tell you if they're looking for DE RDF engineering officers now/anytime soon. That'll sort that.

Secondly, ask yourself why you're actually joining the RDF. While this may sound like a no-brainer of a question, you should know that DE officers don't *at all* do the same training (initial or ongoing) as enlisted personnel (or RDF officers who've been selected and trained 'from the ranks', i.e. the only way of becoming an officer of the usual sort in the RDF). DE officers, instead, complete what's often dubbed a 'shoot and salute' course - a short, 2-week training designed to introduce professionals to the DF structure and culture - kind of like providing an induction so that those same people can do what they normally do in civvie life - just in a uniform! You'll learn how to shoot a side arm (the personal weapon of an officer) and do 7 days training each year.

So, if you're interested in the RDF because of the weapons, tactics, vehicles, fitness end of things - go the enlisted route. If, on the other hand, you want to work as an engineer, get paid a bit more, but get to wear the uniform and do *a small amount* of military training, then a DE commission might indeed be for you (need for one in your Brigade pending).

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 174 ✭✭Doctor14

Firstly, there are Direct Entry Engineer Officers in the RDF. There are certain criteria to be met but you should contact a Recruitment officer in relation to this.
    EGOSHEA wrote: »
    So, if you're interested in the RDF because of the weapons, tactics, vehicles, fitness end of things - go the enlisted route. If, on the other hand, you want to work as an engineer, get paid a bit more, but get to wear the uniform and do *a small amount* of military training, then a DE commission might indeed be for you (need for one in your Brigade pending).

Yes and No. A DE officer is considered the technical expert in the area he/she has applied for. However, a DE Officer will not be treated like every other officer as they normally don't have the same expertise that a standard entry Officer would have - they will not lead troops (except where needed as part of an Engineering task) or be required to know tactics - They do not have the same Command Authority in the eyes of many. However, a DE Officer can then apply to do courses that will give them the expertise necessary to lead troops or carry out any other tasks than any other standard entry officer would be required to do. Yes, it will require a lot of cramming but it has been done and usually allows a DE Officer to exert the same Command Authority as any other officer.

It is just a case of "Do you really want to be an officer?"

Advertisement