Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi A4, wishbone leak, front suspension

Options
  • 21-05-2015 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Greetings,

I am the owner of a 2005 A4 1.9L TDI. I bring it to the Audi dealership for servicing etc. They always do a visual check of the car and it seems that there is a wishbone leak in the front suspension on both sides.

What I would like to know is if this is something that requires urgent attention or if it can be left until the next scheduled service in February 2016?

I would also like to understand what the problem actually means. I have been driving the car since February this year without any problems though.

Please understand that my knowledge of car mechanics is very limited. If something is leaking, then is there not some way that I could just top up whatever is leaking?

Otherwise it's a trip to Audi again and an expensive repair most likely.

thanks in advance,
    Twibbles.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

This dosent make much sense. What exactly is leaking? Wishbones don't leak, as such. Their made of metal. Unless he means a ball joint in which case he'll need to tell you which one so an accurate price can be got.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭coolbeans

twibbles wrote: »
    Greetings,

I am the owner of a 2005 A4 1.9L TDI. I bring it to the Audi dealership for servicing etc. They always do a visual check of the car and it seems that there is a wishbone leak in the front suspension on both sides.

What I would like to know is if this is something that requires urgent attention or if it can be left until the next scheduled service in February 2016?

I would also like to understand what the problem actually means. I have been driving the car since February this year without any problems though.

Please understand that my knowledge of car mechanics is very limited. If something is leaking, then is there not some way that I could just top up whatever is leaking?

Otherwise it's a trip to Audi again and an expensive repair most likely.

thanks in advance,
    Twibbles.

Also, it makes zero sense to go to an Audi main dealer to service a ten year old car. A competent independent would be far more appropriate in terms of costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭twibbles

Hi Porsche Boy,

I would attach an photo of the relevant part of the visual report but I don't have enough posts yet to allow me to attach images. What is says exactly is the following though

"Suspension - Wishbone - Both Front - Leaking"

I might send the garage an e-mail and ask them about it. I will let you know.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

They don't mean creaking do they? Is there any noise from the suspension when travelling over rough surfaces?

No. There isn't really any noise or knocking at all. Anyhow, I will e-mail them now and maybe they will be able to clarify. I will be back. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Chemical Byrne

This makes no sense whatsoever. Wishbone is solid metal, it is physically impossible for it to leak.

Might they be trying to scam you with spurious "repairs"?
    Main dealers can be every bit as much cowboys as indys. Only difference is they have fancy signage.

All I could suggest is that maybe a shock absorber or a brake pipes are leaking and dripping down onto the wishbone? But if that were the case then why not just say its a pipe or shock? Unless they had some spotty apprentice who couldn't tell one from the other doing up the report.

coolbeans wrote: »
    Also, it makes zero sense to go to an Audi main dealer to service a ten year old car. A competent independent would be far more appropriate in terms of costs.

Well, I did have a regular mechanic for years who I had paid a lot of money to on the same car. I was a good customer of his. The fault light came on the dashboard once so I went somewhere with a diagnostic computer to get it diagnosed. It turned out to be a bad glow plug.

So, I brought the car to my mechanic telling him exactly what was wrong. When I collected it he said that it was sorted but the light might come on for a bit. So, I drove off and sure enough it came on and stayed on so it clearly hadn't been fixed.

After that I didn't trust him at all and I haven't been back. I thought that if I went to an Audi garage surely they wouldn't f*** me about. Anyway, I have contacted the garage them to ask them to provide more detail as regards what is actually wrong and to give an estimate.

I tried posting the same question on an Audi forum as well and I didn't get a single reply by the way. It had been viewed 200 times. Maybe I should have tried a gardening forum instead :) I can't post the link here because I am a new user. I will as soon as possible.

Thanks anyway guys. I will let you know if I hear back from themselves.

I thought that if I went to an Audi garage surely they wouldn't f*** me about.

Eeehhhhhh......

Eeehhhhhh......

I am clearly naive then. Sure who can you trust.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,352 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Its an odd description but they can only mean a a split boot on the balljoint or something like that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Crazy bring a 10 year old car near an Audi dealer IMO

Got the sake of warranty and recalls etc it's no harm when the car is fairy new.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Hachiko

as pointed out a wishbone is a solid structure and cannot leak, unless its made of some mysterious structure. What can leak are dampers and that is plausible on the age discussed.

Dont take a car that old to a main dealer, I dont get why people take old cars to main dealers. I never had any intention of taking my own car to a main Lexus dealer and its a 2008. Waste of time, any mechanic can fix any car unless its some very special marque. I had 4 main dealer stamps also on my log book but did not think it worth going to a main dealer and also the dealer is miles out of my way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Hachiko

Patww79 wrote: »

Thats a ball bearing/joint. They are not too expensive but can be a balls (pardon the pun) to replace, sometime people just replace the whole wishbone.

In any event, just take it to any mechanic and get said part from a micks garage place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭kala85

Patww79 wrote: »
    That A4 won't have a wishbone with replaceable parts. They have multi link control arms and you have to replace the whole arm to replace a bushing or ball joint.

Just as a matter of interest would that be covered on a manufacturer warranty on a brand new 151 car or would manufacturer put it down to wear and tear.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,352 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

kala85 wrote: »
    Just as a matter of interest would that be covered on a manufacturer warranty on a brand new 151 car or would manufacturer put it down to wear and tear.

On a new car it would be covered unless there was evidence of user damage, bent components etc.

• Advertisement

Maybe it is nuts bringing a car that old to a main garage but I assumed that they would know what they are about. Apart from that they provide coffee and biscuits :)

In general the car is in very good condition and it drives very well. I don't want to get rid of it any time soon. I don't drive it very much anyway so I don't want to spend a whole lot of money on something that might not be that urgent although it sounds like it may be.

I have sent them an e-mail anyhow to clarify. I will see what they say and I will let you know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Chemical Byrne

I'll tell you, if you think main dealers are some highly trained technical experts with all the latests gear and knowledge, you have fallen for the motor company's marketing spin.

When I left school I spent 2 years as an apprentice in a flashy new Citroen and Volvo dealership. It was laughable. Most stuff was done in a haphazard, trial and error fashion, they didn't have the proper special tools for doing things and improvising with whatever was to hand was routine. I mean even changing timing belts, there were no special timing tools or belt tensioning gauges - they simply transferred tippex marks from the old belt to the new one and then slipped the new one on and guessed the tension by hand. Needless to say the sprokets were not reset and torqued up as per the procedures in the manual.
    Now maybe they were just an exceptional case but it certainly made me skeptical of main dealers supposed level competence and professionalism over that of your run of the mill back street garage. As I said, fancy signage is the only real difference.

Then I got sense and went to uni.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

coolbeans wrote: »

A competent independent mechanic 😀

Everytime someone asks for advice here they get this golden one.

Where are all these competent independent mechanic everyone speaks of?

How do they know more than main Dealers?

How do they possibly know how to work on every car from a Renault to an Audi?

Where did they get they this great education?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭charcosull

thierry14 wrote: »

A good one will have educated themselves by having a huge interest in cars.

These competent mechanics are to be found in many garages across the length of Ireland. More often than not in a garage attached to their house working away on anything and everything that comes their way.
    They have years of experience in diagnosis and repair of all makes of cars, not just the one their employer sells, and not just replacing parts either, actually getting in and repairing stuff. Their great education comes from being on the floor of an independent garage and fixing various issues across a range of different manufacturers. Basically you can't beat experience and time served.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭dmc17

Maybe it is nuts bringing a car that old to a main garage but I assumed that they would know what they are about. Apart from that they provide coffee and biscuits :)

In general the car is in very good condition and it drives very well. I don't want to get rid of it any time soon. I don't drive it very much anyway so I don't want to spend a whole lot of money on something that might not be that urgent although it sounds like it may be.

I have sent them an e-mail anyhow to clarify. I will see what they say and I will let you know.

My local café provides coffee and biscuits too but they don't charge me €50 for them :D

A lot of work being done in main dealers and bigger garages is being done by apprentices and not fully qualified mechanics.
    I wouldn't have issue with that as long as they do it right, but I wouldn't pay through the nose for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Crazy bring a 10 year old car near an Audi dealer IMO

The only thing leaking is his wallet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

Probably the bushings are liquid filled - bushings are on their way out when they split and leak the fluid.
    E.g a lot of the lemforder bushings are liquid filled.

Advertisement