Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nintendo @ E3 2015

• 21-05-2015 2:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭

E3 is only weeks away now, nintendo is giving us another pre recorded direct and treehouse, what are we expecting from them? I'm going for

Metroid (if theres no metroid this year, we ain't getting one on Wii U/3DS)
    Mario (Mario maker, and maybe something for the 3DS, like sunshine HD)
    Zelda (Not unless we get a HD remastering for the U/3DS, like the twilight princess rumours a while back)
    Pokemon (they'll probably mention that new mystery dungeon now, seems a bit late in the year to announce a main series game to come out this year.
    Starfox (finally!)
    Xenoblade (yes, with release date)
    Yoshi's wooly world (I expect so, since it releases just after E3 is on)
    Fire emblem (maybe)
    Talk of the new loyalty system once club nintendo finally ends (include unified accounts here please)
    Expanded VC for New 3DS (bit of a pipe dream but hey)

Comments

HYPE! Proper Paper Mario for Wii U please Nintendo just like The N64 & Gamecube Games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭Nollog

I think they'll spend a good while on Splatoon, and I'm not sure how I'd feel about that given the game will be about 2 weeks old by then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Yeah, a focus on Splatoon's summer of DLC, hopefully ending on 3 player asynchronous local play involving the promised-with-Bayonetta-2 patch for 2 gamepads.

A flagship release for Urban Champion online, an MMO for WiiU in which thousands of players world wide slowly shuffle from left to right, punching.

Kirby's Dream Slaughterhouse - Kirby's first adult-oriented game in which he grows his first few teeth, allowing him to gnash and chew his way through 40 delightful but blood-filled enemies across 6 edible worlds, leaving a brightly coloured charnel house behind him. He's joined for the first time (in 2 player mode) by Spunky, Kirby's own acidic ejaculate, who swims along trajectories drawn on the gamepad screen, burning all in his wake.

Mario GO! - Nintendo release a blisteringly fast 3D Sonic game that is f***ing amazing, just to prove that it's not the fundamentals of the genre that's at fault, it's Sega.

F-Zelda : Termina Velocity - because I don't know when an imaginary dead horse is fully flogged.
    or perhaps
    F-Zero Maker : If you want a sequel you can flipping well write it yourself - consists of a notepad for writing your code, a form for applying for a developer kit and a replica of Captain Falcon's helmet for you to wear while you do it, so it feels like you're part of the game.

Where in the Universe is Samus Aran? - An educational title that teaches kids the fundamentals of interstellar cartography, theories on non-carbon based life-forms and basic table manners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,295 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

E3 should be focused on new games. Not Splatoon. Though they will inevitably as they've got so little to show. This generation has been so lacking. No Metroid game, no sports games, no real Mario, no Paper Mario, no Pokemon(even though I hate it), no 3rd party support, etc. Expect nothing and you can't be disappointed. Well you can, just less disappointed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Mario 3D world? New super mario bros U? Pokemon XY/ORAS? Paper mario sticker star?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,548 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

sligeach wrote: »
    no real Mario

Eh?

cloud493 wrote: »
    Mario 3D world? New super mario bros U? Pokemon XY/ORAS? Paper mario sticker star?

I'm talking about the Wii U. And like I said no real Mario game.

Yes there was. Rayman Legends!
    Besides, the SMB brand needs a rest after the splurge of nSMB releases across the DS, 3DS, Wii and early in the WiiU lifecycle. We wouldn't want to fuel the fanboy argument of Nintendo's ancient IP crutch.

Why aren't you complaining about the lack of an Excite Truck or Captain Rainbow iteration? Or celebrating that after a generation of ports, Pikmin is back on the table!

As for Pokemon, quite likely we'll be looking at Pokken sooner or later on the WiiU, which is no less a pokemon game than previous anchored console entries. Might even roll it out at E3 after revealing that inside the big fancy arcade cabinet there's just a WiiU, albeit the new 128GB version with the 1080p Gamepad.

What's a "real Mario game"?

But mario 3D world and NSMBU is two mario games.

• Advertisement

Mr E wrote: »
    What's a "real Mario game"?

Super Mario Galaxy, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Super Mario 64, Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario World, etc.
    But mario 3D world and NSMBU is two mario games.

You mean "are". I call them lazy and rehashes.

OK, I'll bite.

The Wii U has 2 great Mario games (and one great Luigi game in the same vein).

Super Mario Galaxy, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Super Mario 64, Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario World, etc.
    I call them lazy and rehashes.

So you want games that are the sames as SMG, SM64, SMB or SMW because that's what a proper Mario game is, but you don't want them to be the same because that would be lazy?

Look, I'm not trying to cast aspersions here, but has anyone ever commented on what your face looks like on christmas morning?

smartarsery aside, I will happily agree that nSMBu was a lazy rehash, as was nSMB on the DS (didn't play the others) - it was a functionally sound platformer from which I could neither feel the love nor the Wow. There are many who disagree with me though. I may just be 2D-platformed out (although I thought Rayman was delightful and pressed all the buttons nSMBU didn't... how and ever...) On the other hand SM3DW was chock full of both razzle and dazzle. The level design peppered you with new ideas at a speed matched only by the swiftness with which it threw those ideas away to make room for the next batch. It was like watching a 5 year old god.

Anyway, if you didn't enjoy either of them, you have to be objective and consider that the reason could be you, not the games.

Mr E wrote: »
    OK, I'll bite.

The Wii U has 2 great Mario games (and one great Luigi game in the same vein).

Metacritic begs to differ.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/wii-u/new-super-luigi-u

77% isn't great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,363 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So you're using Super Mario World and Super Mario 3 as examples of a "real" Mario game yet don't count NSMB U, even though they're all 2d platformers? Can you explain the difference?

Mario 3D world is one of the list inventive games I've ever played, even if it achieves this by playing round with elements from other mario games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Since we're using Metacritic as some sort of rating system now

http://www.metacritic.com/game/wii-u/super-mario-3d-world

If you think Super Mario 3D World is lazy or a rehash, then I'm not sure any Nintendo E3 will ever be for you. Absolutely wonderful game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Super Mario 3D World is one of my favourite games of all time. Every level is a new idea.

But surely NSMB can't be a 'rehash' since it started the trend so to speak. You mean NSMB 2.

And if you look at things like that, everything is a rehash of everything and we might as well never enjoy anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

You mean "are". I call them lazy and rehashes.

MOD: Do not start trying to belittle people's spelling or grammar.
    I'm calling you dangerously close to trolling at the minute to be perfectly honest.

• Advertisement

Super Mario 3D World is one of my favourite games of all time. Every level is a new idea.
    Say that again please.

Super Mario 3D Land
    And that's just the opening level. Lazy and rehashed. They needed a game quickly so they reused 3D Land's template instead of being original. The game is very linear, unoriginal, while you may think its great, I don't like the isometric views and sure it plays well but then it borrowing all the great ideas of previous great work and just lumping it all together. It's a rehash and lazy.

Wow, ones level comparison. Fantastic. Excluding how different the two games of course.

Every mario game starts with the basic formula of mario jumping, running, whatever, then expands on that to do different things almost every time. So if you want to call that a rehash, thats certainly one interpretation. And 3D World is made by the same team that worked on 64, sunshine, galaxy 1 and 2, so I don't see how it qualifies as not a 'real' mario game, except in your bias interpretation of a game you seem keen to slag off.

He says it better than I do.

I'm out.

He says it better than I do.

He says it better than anyone because I'll be damned if I'm watching a half hour review.

Despite my criticisms, Super Mario 3D World still manages to deliver the electronic equivalent of comfort food. It may not be particularly fresh or daring, but it checks off enough of the necessary boxes and certainly carries enough of the Mario charm. I mean, who doesn't like Mario? That said, it very much feels like a title that's phoning it in while counting on players to remember how great the other entries have been. It's got all the favorite characters! The colors are bright and the music's familiar! Collect coins! Loads of mushrooms! Come on, it's more Mario! It's gotta be great, right? Right?!?

I'm sure some players will get a kick out of throwing each other into pits or causing chaos in a cat suit, but 3D World stands squarely in the shadow of other, greater entries in the series. I'll be happy to return to the franchise when a brighter light bulb goes off in the Nintendo development studio at some point in the future, but if the next few entries are as content to coast as this one, I won't feelbad about skipping them at all.

Rating: 6 out of 10

http://www.gamecritics.com/brad-gallaway/super-mario-3d-world-review

So ignoring you,

Metroid at E3 anyone? Whats the chances this year? We probably had the same discussion last year :pac:

I was just going to say, this is the E3 thread right?

It sure was, until you derailed it. :)
    .. no real Mario ..

Anyhoo... I think Nintendo are going to have some surprises this year. I hope they do, anyway.

Like metroid right? Right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

A non-FPS 3DS Metroid would be cool. What was the last one in that style, Fusion on the GBA?

Well Other M technically exists. But we don't talk about that.

Metroid: Other M was a great game, not perfect. I would prefer another effort in that vein rather than Metroid Prime. A perfect game game would be a blend of the 2. First person on the gamepad and third person on the TV. Samus is far more agile and is capable of more moves in third person.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Say that again please.]

You do realise the first level of every Mario game ever is largely the same. Designed entirely to teach the basic mechanics of the game. I'm honestly astonished how you managed to play all the way through 3D World without marveling at the sheer creativity that bursts through every single level.

I think I suggested before but Metroid may be announced this year for release next year for the 30th anniversary, since Samus wasn't thrown a 25th celebration.

Be great if it was like the Prime/Fusion releases

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Been rumours of new Metroid games for over a year now, also branching out to there being 2 games in development: a traditional 2D for 3DS and a Prime style game for Wiiu. Really hope we see something.

I actually wan to see more of the SMTxFE game, watched the GameXplain vid of the trailer and it showed a lot more depth and how it borrows elements of the 2 series (granted, a lot more from Persona than any of the other SMT games).

Devils Third will feature heavily, not much word since last E3 so it must be ready for a release later this year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,645 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

He says it better than anyone because I'll be damned if I'm watching a half hour review.

http://www.gamecritics.com/brad-gallaway/super-mario-3d-world-review

I would say that the number of average reviews of Super Mario 3D World are fee and far between.
    The game is simply fantastic, but that's just my opinion, but in the balance of most opinions its extremely well regarded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

Id love if Nintendo/Capcom announced they would be localizing the great ace attorney for the west at E3.

Loving the new boxart
    original.jpg

Firmly in rumour territory:

http://hiddentriforce.com/zelda-wii-u-and-nintendo-e3-2015-rumors/
    • Zelda Wii U, while previously pushed from the E3 event list will still make some kind of an appearance. Official art and a trailer will be shown. Nintendo changed their mind as in attempt to sustain momentum for their Wii U console.
    • Zelda Wii U will work with several different Amiibo models. Using an Amiibo will provide Link with a daily item that he can use. For instance, Link can be given a fairy or a potion-like power-up. This ability can only be used once a day.
    • Zelda Wii U will support both the GamePad and the Wii U Pro Controller.
    • There will be a form of fast travel within the game. The overworld is so large that riding a horse or walking simply is not feasible later in the game. While Epona has been shown to avoid obstacles on her own, fans would quickly grow weary of sitting around waiting. Nintendo wants to avoid complaints similar to the sailing in The Wind Waker.
    • Ganondorf/Ganon will not be the main villain. Similar to Skyward Sword, there will be some kind of connection to the game’s main lore, but a new foe will appear.
    • The Wii U GamePad controller will allow gamers to scan the environment and to take notes to be referenced later.
    • The game will feature a lot of “darker” themes, similar to what we saw in Majora’s Mask. NPC will have a more icons role than some of the recent titles. There will be more of an emotional connection.
    • While not surprising, the game will have different sets of overworld enemies for night and day times.
    • Zelda Wii U will feature Gorons. Zoras have not been seen yet, but there will be at least 2 new “races”.

And non-Zelda related rumours:
    • Nintendo will reveal a new Mario title. There have been some murmurings revolving around a return to Isle Delfino for a Mario Sunshine 2.
    • A new Metroid game will be revealed for the Wii U.
    • The already confirmed Star Fox game will include both space and land sequences. It will also have online multiplayer, in a game style similar to Star Fox 64 battle mode.

I'd be pretty happy with a Mario Sunshine 2 and a new Metroid game for sure, so hope these turn out to be true!

I wouldn't be surprised if it was for 3DS, considering how long since 3D land, and the 3DS has virtually nothing for the rest of the year.

While that could be pretty cool, the 3DS couldn't do Sunshine properly IMHO, it'd need to be the Wii U for that. I don't think Sunshine on the 3DS could look as good as the GameCube one, so it'd be a step backwards really.

Metroid on the 3DS on the other hand, a really good 2.5D Metroid on it could look fantastic.

• Advertisement

I want a 2D Metroid, and a Mario sunshine sequel on Wii U and 3DS and a 3D Metroid please nintendo give me games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

Mario sunshine 2 has been a rumor for a while now, Its gotta be announced this year or bust!

Yeah, it's been alternating between Sunshine 2 and a remaster of Sunshine for a while now.

I was with them until the mario sunshine rumour. Discredits the lot imo.

Why so? They're just compiling the rumours, not purporting any of them to be true.

Oh, I thought they got them from a single source.

The Zelda stuff all came from one source, they've said the other stuff is just various rumours.

Just read the page again though, and read the below which (IMHO) entirely discredits the author:
    He dislikes chocolate, cheese, and bacon.
    How could anyone trust this man with these dislikes?

Luigis mansion got a sequel on 3DS, sunshine isn't out of the realm of possibility I'd think.

Luigi's Mansion is small encapsulated rooms though, Mario Sunshine has nice big areas with loads of water effects, fluids etc.
    That's why Mario 3D Land worked on the 3DS, and why I couldn't see Sunshine working on it.

One thing I can see going against the Sunshine rumours, assuming it's similar with Fludd and all, is that Splatoon was already being compared to Sunshine, so Sunshine 2 might be compared to Splatoon. That and the fact Analogue shoulder buttons were useful for FLUDD.

• Advertisement
Advertisement