Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nintendo @ E3 2015

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I had been toying with the idea of buying a Wii U to accompany my PS4 this gen however, I was very underwhelmed by Ninty's E3 showing.

I wonder if I'm best off waiting for the new "NX" instead. If it's backwards compatible with Wii U games, I'm in.

Thoughts?

I doubt it'll be backwards compatible. Wait for a deal though, definitely buy one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

That_Guy wrote: »
    I had been toying with the idea of buying a Wii U to accompany my PS4 this gen however, I was very underwhelmed by Ninty's E3 showing.

I wonder if I'm best off waiting for the new "NX" instead. If it's backwards compatible with Wii U games, I'm in.

Thoughts?

Hmm, I understand why people would say this, especially after yesterday, but tbh the WiiU has a hell of a lot of stellar first party games to play and keep you busy for a long while with many others coming before Xmas this year that for some reason were not shown in the 'digital event'.
    I say get one, new if you can afford it.

As others have said, I dont think the NX will be BC with WiiU or Wii games tbh. I think Ninty will want to drop anything to do with the Wii name in the future due to just bad sales. But it's an amazing system for exclusive Ninty games tbh. Can't go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

The more and more I see of Super Mario Maker the more it's clear it's everything I was hoping it was going to be. They don't hold anything back, the breadth of things you can do is great, the UI looks fantastic, and the sharing mechanics look spot on and really well thought out (only being able to upload 10 at first and more as your courses are rated on line, only being allowed to upload after you've beaten it, being able to download peoples courses and look under the hood to see how things were done (but not reupload them as your own), the difficulty rating is decided by how well people do on it, you can see where other people died on the courses).

It looks like it'll be one of the games of the year.

• Advertisement

I like the fact they have a system for ensuring garbage doesn't make it onto the stage (in theory) Stuff like little big planet always seems like its plagued by ****e in its UGC bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,567 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Will Mario Maker mean that any new 2d Mario platformers will pale in comparison to the wealth of great uploads that's sure to happen with Maker?

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Will Mario Maker mean that any new 2d Mario platformers will pale in comparison to the wealth of great uploads that's sure to happen with Maker?

I can see them doing something like bundling a bunch of the best made Mario Maker levels into a budget package for 3DS or something like that.

The way Happy Home Designer works with the Animal Crossing Wii U amiibo game is really neat, which make sit all the more a shame that it's a silly board game.

Also the Day 2 Treehouse stream if anybody wants to watch. It's helped make me feel much better about some of these games:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,548 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

More SMM info, including screenshots, level select, filters, clear rate (very clever), the rating system, in-game comments (like Dark Souls), the 100 Mario Challenge (beat a selection of random levels with 100 lives).

I want this game now. :)

http://kotaku.com/super-mario-makers-online-features-sound-really-cool-1712031373

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Ubiquitous Synergy Seeker

That_Guy wrote: »
    I wonder if I'm best off waiting for the new "NX" instead.
    Anyone else get the feeling that pronouncing the second part of that codename as "ex" is intentional misdirection? ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,645 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm not terribly interested in making my own Mario levels.
    I am interested in playing the myriad of levels built by skilled designers around the world though, and I'm hoping for some sort of single player campaign of prebuilt levels, so at the very least it'll be a new entry into the 2d platforming series.
    I hope!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

As with all of Alpha's vids, NFSW for language reasons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,548 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I'm hoping for some sort of single player campaign of prebuilt levels, so at the very least it'll be a new entry into the 2d platforming series.
    I hope!

It will come with a selection of levels on the disk. Not sure if that's 10 levels or 110 levels, but I don't get the impression that it will be a campaign (e.g. World 1, 3 levels, fortress, 3 levels, castle, World 2, 3 levels, fortress, 3 levels, castle etc.)

I'd like to be proved wrong though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭ionapaul

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I'm not terribly interested in making my own Mario levels.
    I am interested in playing the myriad of levels built by skilled designers around the world though, and I'm hoping for some sort of single player campaign of prebuilt levels, so at the very least it'll be a new entry into the 2d platforming series.
    I hope!
    I'm the same - would have no interest (and certainly wouldn't have the time) to design levels, but the game looks interesting in that it facilitates access to a never-ending stream of great content. Wouldn't get it at launch, would wait to hear how the system will work in relation to finding and playing the best content out there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,645 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I can imagine sets of levels from each contained period of Mario represented by the available character sets, SMB, SMB3, SMW and NSMB, could be very cool indeed.
    I just don't want it to go all meta, nod nod wink wink , with homages to famous levels or reversed ones Nintendo Remix style.
    Some proper original worlds please!

Perhaps something may be salvaged from the E3 after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

A few quite favourable early previews of Zelda Triforce Heroes floating around the net.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,363 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

The Nintendo World Championship levels will be included with SMM anyway, as revealed by Miyamoto on Treehouse, much to the shock/surprise/delight of the creators

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 595 ✭✭✭ElvisChrist6

Really wish I had a Wii U for that Yoshi's Woolly World game, liked the look of that.

Were the Star Fox textures not complete or are they trying to keep the visuals somewhat in line with older games? Big fan of the original Star Fox, but I don't know at all what I think of the look of this one.

I actually quite like the look of the AC 3ds game, as silly as it is :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭wtlltw

Corholio wrote: »
    3 mediocre conferences in their own way to be honest. Sony simply mentioning games seem to have thrown a few into cardiac arrest, I guess it shows the current situation of gaming. I liked Microsoft's, seemed more focused and without the hollow reveals of Sony's.

I would totally agree. If anything I think the games industry is going backwards. Xbox going backward compatibility with 360, have that at release and people will the system, not announce it years later and expect me to be excited. (This could have been a system seller over the PS4 for me)

I played Shenmue 1&2 and FF7 back in the day, the announcements haven't got me excited.

I would have loved to see a Metroid U announcement, but alas it didn't happen (yet lol)

I would have loved to have seen a glimpse of Zelda U, but hey I know it's still being worked on.

I picked a PS4 a few months ago and while it's good, my WiiU is still the machine of choice for all the family. Splatoon begins on Sunday :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭Nollog

A few quite favourable early previews of Zelda Triforce Heroes floating around the net.

It doesn't have voice-chat I'm sure, so getting in a room with 1 person who doesn't know how to take a hint will cause many angers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

/\/ollog wrote: »
    It doesn't have voice-chat I'm sure, so getting in a room with 1 person who doesn't know how to take a hint will cause many angers.

It does have a sort of emotion button system, where there will be icons representing different instructions. Will be interesting to see how it works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭Nollog

It does have a sort of emotion button system, where there will be icons representing different instructions. Will be interesting to see how it works.

Watch this
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=618tbu18AWk

Takes about 4 hours for one of the Princesses to realise the game plan.

Advertisement