Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it bad to leave the PS4 standing?

Options
  • 21-05-2015 3:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭

Just wondering if there are any cons to leaving it standing up? It saves space and gathers less dust that way imo.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

It was designed for it by Sony, so I'd say no. Only thing to change would be how the heat escapes for the system as heat rises but PS4s don't seem to have any heating issues anyway.

Mines been upright since launch day, no issues. It's designed to work vertically and horizontally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

scuderia wrote: »
    Just wondering if there are any cons to leaving it standing up? It saves space and gathers less dust that way imo.

Thanks

Actually, regarding the ergonomics and technical layout of the PS4's mobo, It is logical to assume that the PS4 would be better used vertically/standing up.

The reason for this being that heat rises, and the PS4 would be much better standing up as the heat can rise upwards freely through the top vents instead of the heat constantly hitting the mobo's APU and Memory chips while on the flat.

Trapped heat moving upwards directly onto the mobo while on the flat is not good.

So I think vertically used is better for heat dissipation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Recently put mine standing up and noticed very quickly the internal fan got a lot louder. Presumed it was because their are vents on each end and standing it up was restricting airflow to the vents on that end. Fan went back to being quiet once I lay it flat again. Anyone does the official stand have vents built into it?

There are no vents in the official stand. Even when flat my PS4 gets loud at times depending on how long it's been on for, what it's doing and how hot the room is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

There are no vents in the official stand. Even when flat my PS4 gets loud at times depending on how long it's been on for, what it's doing and how hot the room is.

I've heard it get loud before while lying flat when playing but this time it was noisy when standing up after a short gaming period and went quiet again when I lay it down so it clearly didn't like being stood up. I'm lacking the space to lie it flat now. Pictures of the official stand appear to show vents so I'll give it a go.

Just looked at my stand again, it does have a very thin slot on each side connected to the trench with the locking tabs. Suppose that is some sort of limited air flow.

Advertisement