Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now Ye're Talking - To Body Builder Kelly Donegan

Options
  • 21-05-2015 3:19pm
    Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Kelly Donegan is a 25 year old model, fitness blogger and a RIBBF (Republic of Ireland Body Building Federation) bikini athlete. She has recently returned from Spain where she represented Ireland at the IBBF European Championships.

Kelly's passion for health and fitness saw her join one of Ireland's leading bodybuilding teams, Titan Ireland. Through her coach and mentor Calin Brehaita, she took first place in her debut show and was crowned Miss Spring Classic Bikini over 168cm in 2014.

Kelly will be here answering questions about her body building over the weekend, however please do post some questions before then for her to answer.

You can see more from Kelly on her Facebook, Twitter, Instagram profiles but you can ask the questions here :)

Here's Kelly at the recent IBBF European Championship in Spain last weekend:
    349551.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

I actually came across her page buy following another body-builder lady from cork :)
    Have loads of respect for ye being so disciplined and all!

My question:

Does all the body/muscle building have any affects hormone wise?
    I've seen some very big women (think in America) that were looking like men or just really men-ish if you get me.

Is that because we link seeing muscles with the male gender in general or is there actually any change in hormones (higher testosterone level)? If yes, is that on purpose (like you take them hormones to build up muscles faster?)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Can you make it from the car to the house with a full weekly shop in one go?

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭WrigleysExtra

Do you track macronutrients during contest prep and if not, why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭I'm body builder Kelly Donegan AMA

Hi

that's a good question, there are definite hormone changes involved in competitive bodybuilding for women. For me personally it is due to the restricted diet and the low body fat which can affect your menstrual cycle. Hormone changes through testosterone would have to come from unnatural sources, as women dont produce this chemical which is needed to build mass amounts of muscle and can cause them to become masculine. As a Bodybuilder in the Bikini category it is ESSENTIAL for me to maintain femininity, this being the most important aspect of this class. I do build muscle through proper training and food intake, coming from protein sources. I also think the world of bodybuilding is changing and embracing a more realistic and healthy approach, that doesnt involved messing with chemicals. This is why you are seeing bodybuilders who are smaller and in my case bodybuilder women who are more feminine.

Muscle can be feminine and i think the world is embracing women with a little bit more muscle and who enjoy lifting weights.

celica00 wrote: »
    I actually came across her page buy following another body-builder lady from cork :)
    Have loads of respect for ye being so disciplined and all!

My question:

Does all the body/muscle building have any affects hormone wise?
    I've seen some very big women (think in America) that were looking like men or just really men-ish if you get me.

Is that because we link seeing muscles with the male gender in general or is there actually any change in hormones (higher testosterone level)? If yes, is that on purpose (like you take them hormones to build up muscles faster?)

Yes i certainly can.

Although i dont think its because of my strength, i would put it down to being lazy and not wanting to make two trips haha
    irish_goat wrote: »
    Can you make it from the car to the house with a full weekly shop in one go?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

How prevalent do you think steroid use is in the Irish body building circuit?

No i dont specifically count my macronutrients or micronutrients, just out of personal choice. I am totally open minded when it comes to the subject and find different approaches work for different people. For me personally spending my day weighing my food and calculating is just annoying and not for me. Although that doesnt mean i am not aware of what i need to eat with regards my protein intake, carbs, fats etc and at this stage i can tell by eye. My food tends to be very simple so there isnt much to be calculating haha

I tend to just eat super clean during competition prep, and try and eat every 2.5 - 3 hours.

Do you track macronutrients during contest prep and if not, why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭lau1247

Do you hit the gym everyday??

How long do you spend working out on average?

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Sorry, a bunch of questions.

What % of your workouts are cardio?

What would be a typical daily diet be when not training for a competition?

Days before the competition, i presume you dehydrate to look your best, what is the proccess like and how tough is that?

Also, any other tricks of the trade you can share to look your best in days before prepping for a competition? Besides the spray tan :)

After the competition is over, do you splurge on bad foods?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

What percentage of female bodybuilders have fake breasts do you reckon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Is there an "off-season" for bodybuilding, or is the training basically non-stop all year round?

How many Irish full-time bodybuilders would there be roughly, male or female?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Have you had to deal with negative comments about your physique and if so, how do you handle it?

What made you want to get into body building?

Do you find many men are intimated by you?

Do you ever have "fat" days and if so what's your pig out meal of choice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

Where do you get the sparkly bikinis?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Did a time come when things just 'clicked' for you in the gym and you started making big gains, or was it a more gradual process?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Hi Kelly, six questions here for you: :D

1. What is your typical routine - do you concentrate on the big compound lifts or do you do a lot of isolation work?

2. What is your maintenance body fat percentage?

3. There is a question above about dehydration, but prior to this stage, how do you lower your body fat from maintenance levels?

4. Does your buzz come from your figure or from lifting more/heavier in the gym. If the latter, have you ever entered any powerlifting competitions?

5. It seems that most people who are able to attain a figure for fitness modelling come from within the fitness industry itself - either as PTs or professional fitness models. Do you think the 9 - 5 grind for most of society is counterproductive to the commitment and dedication (training time, diet, etc...) required to get to your level?

6. How much of it comes down to genetics and how much can be put into place from diet & exercise?

Thanks - looking forward to all the questions and replies on this one!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

What's your opinion on the frankly odd shade of fake tan male and female bodybuilders wear during competitions? Is it just to provide a visual aid to muscle definition, or does it have some other history?

Does it leave stains / patches / caustic burns on things? Do you need to wear shades when opening the bottle?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,392 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I'm curious why bodybuilding and being a bikini athlete is considered a sport when it seems to me to be more like a modelling competition. Is it just posing that takes place in the competitions or are there other elements to the competitions?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

What are your Bench, Squat and Deadlift PR's?

Do you get comments from strangers about Tallafornia?

I think steroids are always going to be a big talking point when bodybuilding is being discussed. After only a year in the industry my opinion is that the sport as a whole is trying to steer away from that image by introducing more realistic category's including Bikini, Men's Physique and Men's Classic Bodybuilding. Which in my opinion is super and badly needed. Its a great sport and the steroid stereotype can be a massive insult to those who work so hard every single day in the gym and dieting. Bodybuilding is one of the most selfish sports, i find that i focus so much on myself and my own goals that i am not aware of what others are doing or saying, but i think it is always going to be abused by people even outside of bodybuilding.
    Giruilla wrote: »
    How prevalent do you think steroid use is in the Irish body building circuit?

Bodybuilding seems to always be associated with strength, the funny thing is i wouldn't have impressive figures. Getting ready for bodybuilding shows your strength is massively reduced due to exhaustion and the restricted diets. We tend to train in a clever way to reduce body fat and maintain the muscle we have built in our off season.
    I also tend to do a lot more isolated exercises, as bodybuilding is all about aesthetics not functionality. If you are looking for impressive stats for bench and squat talk to somebody in the field of Power Lifting, Olympic lifting and Crossfit.

And yes i still get asked about Tallafornia, almost on a daily basis :)
    What are your Bench, Squat and Deadlift PR's?

Do you get comments from strangers about Tallafornia?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Bodybuilding seems to always be associated with strength, the funny thing is i wouldn't have impressive figures. Getting ready for bodybuilding shows your strength is massively reduced due to exhaustion and the restricted diets. We tend to train in a clever way to reduce body fat and maintain the muscle we have built in our off season.
    I also tend to do a lot more isolated exercises, as bodybuilding is all about aesthetics not functionality. If you are looking for impressive stats for bench and squat talk to somebody in the field of Power Lifting, Olympic lifting and Crossfit.

And yes i still get asked about Tallafornia, almost on a daily basis :)

Oh my God, is that you? I knew I recognised you. Fair play ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Chloris

Is it really worth all that physical exertion? Surely so much pain isn't a good thing...

Also withholding food you want, that would absolutely murder me. Not even necessarily things that are typically considered bad for you, just like... things that don't fit in with your dietary regime. Sometimes I just want a huge bowl of potato and leek soup.

This is a great question and something i am really excited to discuss.
    People tend to only focus on the specific competition day which involves the tan, bikini and the more glamorous side of the sport. The funny thing is the competition day is only a tiny element in the process. To get ready to be on stage you need to follow a disciplined and restricted diet as well as an intense workout regime for any where up to four months. The physical pursuit involved in being ready to get on stage is MASSIVE. Athletes spend hours in the gym, hours preparing their food, constantly carry lunch boxes with them a long with sacrificing most of their social life. Its this physical pursuit that makes them athletes, not just gym enthusiasts or as you call it a modelling competition. The overall goal is to achieve a balanced and well proportioned body, developed muscle and reduced body fat. Each category within the sport has different specific requirements that determine how well you do on the competition day.

The level of will power, athleticism, passion, relentlessness within bodybuilders cannot be downgraded. It is definitely unique in the sporting work but deserves its place among the rest. It is a 24 hour sport, every single choice you make can effect your success. In my opinion making it one of the toughest.

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    I'm curious why bodybuilding and being a bikini athlete is considered a sport when it seems to me to be more like a modelling competition. Is it just posing that takes place in the competitions or are there other elements to the competitions?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

It may be associated with strength but not power.

Bodybuilding is a an extreme sport, it really is pushing your body to the limits.
    The challenges and struggles are daily, whether its fighting temptation or trying to find the energy to train twice a day. The passion for the sport drives you to push through, you always want to be better than before. Its a weird thing that i think only bodybuilders will get, where you have a fire in your belly to challenge yourself and eating something off your diet plan just isnt worth it. We eat enough food to fuel our bodies and the rest just isnt important, especially when you are getting ready for a show.
    I think it the competition that drives us to push through and not give in to temptation.
    When you step on stage you dont want to think back and say i could have done more, what if i hadnt of eaten this or that.

We just suck it up and get the job done.
    After we have achieved our goals we can sit back and reward ourselves and really appreciate the yummy food we get. I guess you could say its an addictive feeling and an addictive sport
    Chloris wrote: »
    Is it really worth all that physical exertion? Surely so much pain isn't a good thing...

Also withholding food you want, that would absolutely murder me. Not even necessarily things that are typically considered bad for you, just like... things that don't fit in with your dietary regime. Sometimes I just want a huge bowl of potato and leek soup.

When i am getting ready for a show i usually train twice a day six days a week, one session really early in the morning and another in the evening. Roughly three hours a day with one rest day. My plan can change though, it is never a fixed thing.
    My off season i will train much less, five times a week roughly.
    Actually i also walk my big doggie once a day too for about 45 minutes, so i guess you could include that. I dont really count that as exercise though haha

lau1247 wrote: »
    Do you hit the gym everyday??

How long do you spend working out on average?

It is all about aesthetics in reality, on the big day nobody asks what you can lift.
    Totally different sport to Power Lifting or Olympic Lifting
    YFlyer wrote: »
    It may be associated with strength but not power.

Haha everybody is always so curious about the tan and the tanning process.
    The reason the tan is so dark is because it increases muscle definition, muscles look more prominent on a darker skin tone. It can also make you look slimmer as well as hiding any imperfections on the skin (Stretch marks, pimples etc) which can result in being marked down on competition day. The tan washes off very easy and is no different than any other tan over the counter, the only difference is the colour is much darker than your everyday tan.

What's your opinion on the frankly odd shade of fake tan male and female bodybuilders wear during competitions? Is it just to provide a visual aid to muscle definition, or does it have some other history?

Does it leave stains / patches / caustic burns on things? Do you need to wear shades when opening the bottle?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

What was the compulsion to lead you from modelling to body building or do you see it as a natural progression of your own inherent life story?

• Advertisement

I tend to do a lot of isolated movements to develop a balanced body with symmetry. It allows me to focus on my weak areas and develop them to the same standard as the rest of the body.
    My plan changes all the time depending at what stage i am at, like at the beggining of a prep the training is totally different to the last week of competition prep. Like that training in my off season is different again. It all depends on what the goals are for that period like building muscle, dropping fat, maintaining etc.

Bodybuilding is all about how you look, so i tend to avoid all scales and BF% Calculators. All analysis is done visually.

Lowering the body fat usually involves increased cardio and carbohydrate manipulation.

I get my biggest kick from the challenge. It is such a tough sport that tests your will power every second of every day. It amazes me still to this day how strong i can be. I also love setting insane challenges for myself, goals really push me. Although the super body is the cherry on the top. The constant progress is the biggest trophy of all though. I love having muscles and am so content with my new strong physique, it is a big kick too. I love doing what others dont do and what others cant do.

No i have no interest in Powerlifting, thats like asking a basketball player if they have ever considered football. I love bodybuilding :)

I personally dont come from a fitness background, i think people are just lazy and lack motivation. The reality is bodybuilders are athletes and they have that spark that pushes them to work extraordinarily hard. Most bodybuilders work full times jobs outside the fitness industry, balance a family life as well as getting to the gym and preparing there food daily. Your average person struggles to get to the gym three times a week and maintain a healthy diet with loads of variety. i think if everyone just tried to challenge themselves that would be a big start. Not everyone is designed to be an athlete, that doesnt mean everyone shouldnt try to be the best versions of themselves.

And lastly genetics will never be an excuse for a bodybuilder to be lazy or slack off. There diets and training plans will still be intense. Some people i believe have better genetics whether it is someone has better shoulders or the ability to build muscle easy. We are all unique and everyone has their flaws they need to work on. Even the genetically gifted.

Hope that clears things up for you

Kelly :)

Hi Kelly, six questions here for you: :D

1. What is your typical routine - do you concentrate on the big compound lifts or do you do a lot of isolation work?

2. What is your maintenance body fat percentage?

3. There is a question above about dehydration, but prior to this stage, how do you lower your body fat from maintenance levels?

4. Does your buzz come from your figure or from lifting more/heavier in the gym. If the latter, have you ever entered any powerlifting competitions?

5. It seems that most people who are able to attain a figure for fitness modelling come from within the fitness industry itself - either as PTs or professional fitness models. Do you think the 9 - 5 grind for most of society is counterproductive to the commitment and dedication (training time, diet, etc...) required to get to your level?

6. How much of it comes down to genetics and how much can be put into place from diet & exercise?

Thanks - looking forward to all the questions and replies on this one!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement