Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now Ye're Talking - To Body Builder Kelly Donegan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭I'm body builder Kelly Donegan AMA

I would say 90%

Bodybuilding is the pursuit of developing and maintaining muscle while dropping body fat.
    Obviously dropping body fat to low levels means most women will loose their breasts ,which in turn can make them feel insecure and less confident. Bodybuilding is also about body balance and a lot of women will get breast implants to balance the body. It is not essential but very very common.

I say if it makes you feel better go for it !

Gordon wrote: »
    What percentage of female bodybuilders have fake breasts do you reckon?

I have always been a big tomboy and loved sports during school.
    During my time modelling i found myself feeling like there was a gap in my life. I had a desire to do something competitive. Getting into Bodybuilding changed my life for the better, i have never been happier. Its a hobby that pushes me and challenges me.
    I will always do a bit of modelling and bodybuilding for the next while will just be a hobby and a passion.

eternal wrote: »
    What was the compulsion to lead you from modelling to body building or do you see it as a natural progression of your own inherent life story?

Twice a day six days a week. Usually cardio early and an hour weights in the afternoon. Although my plans can change depending on the goal at hand

lau1247 wrote: »
    Do you hit the gym everyday??

How long do you spend working out on average?

I tend to only do cardio when i am trying to burn fat, weight training is always the focus.
    When i am not getting ready for a show i enjoy a lot of variety in my diet big breakfast eggs brown bread or porridge with greek yogurt and fruit. Soups homemade juices, a variety of protein sources and the same with carbs brown pasta baked potatoes rice cous cous. I like to do a lot of nice cooking in my off season homemade healthy curries or chilli con carnes. I try get creative. Dehydration is very tough and always needs to be carefully monitored by a professional. I tend to drink about 6litres of a water a day, so when the day comes to cut it im in hell. Its also tough trying to perform on stage with an inhuman thirst and dry mouth.

Best tips i can share that you can take into your every day life is

Always be prepared whether its bringing your lunch to work or making sure your fridge is full of healthy food. No excuses to cheat unless planned.
    Increase green vegetable intake
    Increase water consumption
    Practice moderation and balance
    Challenge yourself and see it through
    Make sure your eating enough protein
    Reduce Junk food
    Early nights

Hope this helped :)
    Hazys wrote: »
    Sorry, a bunch of questions.

What % of your workouts are cardio?

What would be a typical daily diet be when not training for a competition?

Days before the competition, i presume you dehydrate to look your best, what is the proccess like and how tough is that?

Also, any other tricks of the trade you can share to look your best in days before prepping for a competition? Besides the spray tan :)

After the competition is over, do you splurge on bad foods?

There are no full time Irish bodybuilders as far as i know.

Yes there is an off season in bodybuilding. This is usually a period after a competition where the focus is body recovery as well as developing and building the areas you need to improve for future competitions. Training in off season is usually different than competition training. There are no set rules to this and each athlete is different
    Is there an "off-season" for bodybuilding, or is the training basically non-stop all year round?

How many Irish full-time bodybuilders would there be roughly, male or female?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Actually i also walk my big doggie once a day too for about 45 minutes, so i guess you could include that. I dont really count that as exercise though haha

What dog do you have? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Zebrano

What do u do for a living

A six year old boxer called Tyson

What dog do you have? :)

Working on a couple of big projects behind the scenes that will be launching very soon.

Watch this space
    Zebrano wrote: »
    What do u do for a living

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

I watched a documentary about Jay Cutler and couldn't get over the amount he would spend on food/water for his weekly shop - more than I'd spend in two or three months.

Do you mind me asking how your weekly shops are? You eat every 2.5-3 hours assuming it's some variation of chicken, veg and rice. That can't be cheap.

• Advertisement

I think initially when i made the switch from modelling to bodybuilding and fitness modelling i got a lot of negative comments, with the majority of men saying i had gotten too skinny and they preferred me with a bit of meat on my bones. The thing is my body will look how i want it to look, other peoples opinions mean nothing to me. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but i do think men find muscles and women who train hard very intimidating. My experience is that women who compete and lift weights are more confident and sure of themselves, i think this is what is what makes them intimidating. I have noticed a big switch over the last year though with the majority of my comments being positive. People are becoming more open minded about fitness and embracing a stronger women.

I actually went through a really bad year in 2013, found myself quite low and depressed.
    I had a really bad break up and also found myself lost in my career. I decided to take part in one bodybuilding show, just to try something new and to challenge myself. Turns out in changed my life and found my calling through it.

Yes glorious pig outs usually come straight after a competition. I usually have an obscene craving for Pizza and chocolate. That being said straight after a show i eat everything and anything in sight. In my offseason i enjoy cheat meals on a regular basis.
    Have you had to deal with negative comments about your physique and if so, how do you handle it?

What made you want to get into body building?

Do you find many men are intimated by you?

Do you ever have "fat" days and if so what's your pig out meal of choice?

Yes it is true bodybuilding is one of the most expensive sports you can be involved in.
    With requirements like food, supplements, gym, competition expenses like travel, hotels, flights, bikini etc.
    Since i am a bikini bodybuilder i wouldn't have to eat on such a large scale as the heavy weight men. That being said i still have to eat very regularly. I tend to spend about €50 on food a week. Which i think is pretty reasonable. I dont spend money on alcohol, junk food or luxury food items. You can eat healthy very cheaply, its just another excuse people us.
    You can shop very smartly and make sure you have enough protein veg and carbs for the week. I spend more money on Evian water than i do on anything else hahaha, its my only slice of luxury on a competition diet.

I watched a documentary about Jay Cutler and couldn't get over the amount he would spend on food/water for his weekly shop - more than I'd spend in two or three months.

Do you mind me asking how your weekly shops are? You eat every 2.5-3 hours assuming it's some variation of chicken, veg and rice. That can't be cheap.

I get my suits made by an amazing company based in Florida called Ravishsands

MrWalsh wrote: »
    Where do you get the sparkly bikinis?

Well the funny thing is i am only lifting weights properly 16 months. My interest in the area was building the year leading up to my engagement in bodybuilding which started January 2014. I had no idea what is was doing before then, with a focus on eating less and doing a lot of cardio. The minute i started bodybuilding everything just clicked. Through correct nutrition and proper training techniques i seen progress pretty quickly between 8-10 weeks i seen MASSIVE changes. The progress never stops, i am still amazed at the difference between now and even one year ago. I am also lucky to work with a great coach who directs me and helps me achieves my goals.

Did a time come when things just 'clicked' for you in the gym and you started making big gains, or was it a more gradual process?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭the nikkei is rising

A man in the prime of his life, at peak testosterone production, eating and training perfectly wouldn't see 'MASSIVE changes' in 8-10 weeks unless he was on some eh 'under the counter' supplements.

So with this in mind, could you tell me your secret so I can replicate it myself?

There is no secret genuinely. The majority of people will NEVER see through an 8-10 week programme, Following all of the specific guidelines to a tea both training and nutrition wise. Exactly like you said if you want to see change then you have to make changes, if you want to see drastic changes then you have to make your changes to an even higher level. People wonder why it doesnt work for them and then think everyone who is seeing results is abusing drugs. Unfortunately that is simply not the truth and as someone who breaks there back to be extraordinary i just want except that.

Every single person can see significant changes in their body in 8-10 weeks. Although people should have realistic expectations. It takes a long time to build muscle, sometimes years. There is no short cut fix, but if we are speaking dropping body fat and adding a nice bit of muscle 8-10 weeks will defo do a nice job.

Remember realistic expectations and actually follow a proper plan. You may surprise yourself

A man in the prime of his life, at peak testosterone production, eating and training perfectly wouldn't see 'MASSIVE changes' in 8-10 weeks unless he was on some eh 'under the counter' supplements.

So with this in mind, could you tell me your secret so I can replicate it myself?

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭corcaigh1

Its a credit to ya for putting in the work kelly and ya look fab..fair play!
    As a male i love the athletic look on woman.

Michelle Lewin for example mmmm!

fair play to you kelly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Since you started body building, what has it done for your mental health? more confident, better self esteem etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Hi again Kelly,

Thanks for the reply you gave earlier. Was just thinking about this some more:

1. Who has the figure you aspire to attain?

2. Can you please provide me with an overview of your gym routine and diet?

3. What are your favourite healthy meals?

4. Do you get any negativity/jealousy from other females either inside or outside of the fitness evnironment?

5. Do you now look any differently on people (male or female) who are not in shape and where does aesthetics sit in your list of potential partner attributes?

6. Do you find the males (and possibly females :D) gawping at you when training offputting or do you like it?!

7. Is there much/any levels of body dis-morphism or narcissism in the fitness modelling (and I suppose general modelling) world? It seems that you have to be very mentally strong to put yourself forward in the way you do for judging - so I suppose moreso narcissism, although continually critiquing your body could have a negative impact.

BTW - I tip my hat to you on your achievements in the gym. I've been 'training' for years now and through lack of understanding of the basic key points I've struggled to make any real substantive progress, banging my head against a brick wall. I'm well aware of the commitment needed to get to your level - congratulations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Dnp has become the ulti baddie in body building lately, What's your opinion on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Where did you learn to understand food so well? Did you study nutrition at any point or did your understanding of it come from trainers you have worked with?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

Fair play Kelly, hope you do well out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

Can you give an example of what you would eat on a typical day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

There is no secret genuinely. The majority of people will NEVER see through an 8-10 week programme, Following all of the specific guidelines to a tea both training and nutrition wise. Exactly like you said if you want to see change then you have to make changes, if you want to see drastic changes then you have to make your changes to an even higher level. People wonder why it doesnt work for them and then think everyone who is seeing results is abusing drugs. Unfortunately that is simply not the truth and as someone who breaks there back to be extraordinary i just want except that.

Every single person can see significant changes in their body in 8-10 weeks. Although people should have realistic expectations. It takes a long time to build muscle, sometimes years. There is no short cut fix, but if we are speaking dropping body fat and adding a nice bit of muscle 8-10 weeks will defo do a nice job.

Remember realistic expectations and actually follow a proper plan. You may surprise yourself

i agree

i've worked out all my life but there is a difference between working out and strict training
    i did a structured get up early, work out twice a day, eat strictly to plan for 13 weeks coming into my wedding (i was mid 30's at the time and i'm male) and friends were asking me was i on steroids
    i agree 100% that 8-10 weeks with real training and real nutrition and sleep can make a huge difference

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Competition is over, you spent 3 months eating clean, training like a demon. No further competitions on the horizon.

Its time for a legendary cheat day, what's on the menu? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

1.What are your 1 rep max lifts for the compound movements.
    2. What does a typical week in the gym look like
    3.Do you attempt to maintain the same physique year round, or do you do like some other: i.e a dirty bulk followed by cutting.
    4. Do you practice carb depletion and loading before a show.

Since i started bodybuilding my priority's have changed and also how i look at the human body. I no longer aspire to look like anybody else, or have the desire to have somebody else's legs or stomach etc. Bodybuilding has taught me to embrace myself, and just focus on improving what i have through exercise and nutrition.

I now love building muscle and curves in the gym, and i have never felt stronger, sexier or more empowered as a woman.

Obviously the healthy food has an impact on how you feel, i have more energy my skin and hair are in better condition. The thrill of exercising also gives me a massive boost and keeps me in top form. The most important point is that bodybuilding pushed me and challenges me mentally, i never knew i was so strong.
    Since you started body building, what has it done for your mental health? more confident, better self esteem etc...

All of my training and diet are over seen by my coach, who is highly experienced within the field of Bodybuilding. As you can imagine it is a process where you just continuously learn about your body, what agrees with you and what doesn't. The best way to learn is by making mistakes and trying things. So i guess you could say everything i know has come from a secondary source whether my coach or research, and then put it into practice myself on a daily basis. You would be surprised how much you learn, and to be honest eating clean isnt complicated you just have to figure out what works for you as well as making a plan based on your goals.
    BDJW wrote: »
    Where did you learn to understand food so well? Did you study nutrition at any point or did your understanding of it come from trainers you have worked with?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

Do you take any performance enhancing drugs ?

What exactly is a bikini athlete ? athleticism surely plays no part in posing on stage.

Lastly shows like Talifornia glorify the exact opposite of the lifestyle you've adopted the past 16 months. During training did you find it hard to stop all the partying to jump on the lucrative fitness bandwagon ?

big fan btw:).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement