Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now Ye're Talking - To Body Builder Kelly Donegan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭I'm body builder Kelly Donegan AMA

I love Michelle Lewin she rocks
    corcaigh1 wrote: »
    Its a credit to ya for putting in the work kelly and ya look fab..fair play!
    As a male i love the athletic look on woman.

Michelle Lewin for example mmmm!

Bikini athletes are much smaller than your typical female bodybuilder, the overall goal to be feminine, toned, curvy with low body fat. Over developed muscles, muscle separations and striations are not allowed in this category. The similarity with other category's is that balance and symmetry in the body is essential. The athleticism comes from the weeks of training prior to getting on stage, but that being said posing on stage is physcially demanding as you have to flex your muscles, All during dehydration.
    No all of my supplements are natural and are by Muscletech. It is just a case of cleverly utilizing these supplements along with the food and exercise to reach your goals.

I have actually never been a big drinker, prior to bodybuilding i enjoyed the odd casual drink like the majority of people. I think people tend to stereotype individuals on reality TV. I have always been highly motivated, driven and passionate i guess that just wasnt obvious on the show.

I am pretty happy though that people are finally seeing the real me, and so thrilled people are following my journey and being so supportive.

Massive thank you for the support and the questions :)

Do you take any performance enhancing drugs ?

What exactly is a bikini athlete ? athleticism surely plays no part in posing on stage.

Lastly shows like Talifornia glorify the exact opposite of the lifestyle you've adopted the past 16 months. During training did you find it hard to stop all the partying to jump on the lucrative fitness bandwagon ?

big fan btw:).

1. Who has the figure you aspire to attain?

I am a big fan of Paige Hathaway. To be honest i dont really aspire to look like anybody else, i am currently just on a journey to be the best version of myself. That being said there are a lot of women who inspire me and motivate me to work hard.
    I love Rhonda Rhousy, Katie Taylor, Gillian Michaels and like i said big fan of Paige Hathaway and also Ashley Kaltwasser, Christina Storm Fjaere and Ana Delia De Iturrondo

2. Can you please provide me with an overview of your gym routine and diet?

I am unfortunately not qualified to give out diet plans or training plans, and as mentioned in previous posts my own plans are done by my coach. To give you a brief over view i usually do cardio at 6am, then get home and prepare my meals for the day. Uusually six healthy meals consisting of simple foods protein, carbs and veg. No sauces or anything fancy just plain and simple food. I tend to eat every 2.5-3 hours. Then i return to the gym in the evening for my weights session. I take a rest day on sunday. My training and diet changes regularly based on the goals. I typically train every body part once a week.

3. What are your favourite healthy meals?
    I adore sweet potatoe fries and also insanely addicted to porridge. So carbs hahaha

4. Do you get any negativity/jealousy from other females either inside or outside of the fitness evnironment?

Funny enough i have gotten nothing but support and encouragement. Its quite refreshing as i have a lot of experience with nasty comments online after being on television and working as a model. These days the only negative comments come from the odd male who makes it there business to tell me i need to put on more weights, or eat more or something about muscles not being attractive. Those types of comments are very rare though, but the odd one pops up every now and again.

5. Do you now look any differently on people (male or female) who are not in shape and where does aesthetics sit in your list of potential partner attributes?

No i have total admiration for people at all levels, as long as the person is making an effort and making changes. Working hard and pushing themselves then i give them the thumbs up. I find you only have impossible standards for yourself, as you have seen what you have the ability to achieve. When it comes to partners for me being totally shredded is not a priority, i actually would have a bigger preference for height and a good sense of humour. I do find people motivated and hard working attractive, that doenst always mean the person has a six pack.

6. Do you find the males (and possibly females :D) gawping at you when training offputting or do you like it?!

I am a bit of a space cadet, so if people are looking i am totally unaware.
    When i arrive to the gym i am totally focused on my training, earphones in and lifting heavy. I did find at the beginning of my journey i stood out a lit bit in my own gym, purely because i was the only girl in the weight lifting area. I didnt give it to much thought as i knew i had to get the job done. Gym intimidation only exists if you let it

7. Is there much/any levels of body dis-morphism or narcissism in the fitness modelling (and I suppose general modelling) world? It seems that you have to be very mentally strong to put yourself forward in the way you do for judging - so I suppose moreso narcissism, although continually critiquing your body could have a negative impact.

I found doing modelling would have the ability to cause body dismorphic disorder more so than bodybuilding or fitness. I just enjoy the training now and the process and love sharing my journey with people, mostly because ive got so much positive feedback. People telling you that you motivate them to get healthy, its amazing. I dont think its self glorifying, just enjoying the support. I am a very open person, who is content and comfortable with themselves. I think this is why i am happy to be so open online. Unfortunately not everybody can like you, and that applys to all aspects of life. I dont need validation from others and also nasty comments from others dont phase me. I do my own thing and beat to my own drum. So yes i guess that could mean i have a thick skin or i just dont care and too busy enjoying my life.

Too answer your question no i dont think individuals in fitness are narcissistic, just confident, happy and healthy. I also think when people become overly obsessive in an unhealthy way, thats when it is going to have a negative impact. When you jump into fitness with the right information and realistic goals it is a really enjoyable experience

Massive thank you

Hi again Kelly,

Thanks for the reply you gave earlier. Was just thinking about this some more:

1. Who has the figure you aspire to attain?

2. Can you please provide me with an overview of your gym routine and diet?

3. What are your favourite healthy meals?

4. Do you get any negativity/jealousy from other females either inside or outside of the fitness evnironment?

5. Do you now look any differently on people (male or female) who are not in shape and where does aesthetics sit in your list of potential partner attributes?

6. Do you find the males (and possibly females :D) gawping at you when training offputting or do you like it?!

7. Is there much/any levels of body dis-morphism or narcissism in the fitness modelling (and I suppose general modelling) world? It seems that you have to be very mentally strong to put yourself forward in the way you do for judging - so I suppose moreso narcissism, although continually critiquing your body could have a negative impact.

BTW - I tip my hat to you on your achievements in the gym. I've been 'training' for years now and through lack of understanding of the basic key points I've struggled to make any real substantive progress, banging my head against a brick wall. I'm well aware of the commitment needed to get to your level - congratulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

You said you get the odd negative comment from males; do these mostly come from guys who don't look like they lift or do you get negative comments from male bodybuilders?

Yes it is really shocking and tragic. It is just such a shame that people feel that these are options for weightloss, and i think it comes from the quick fix mentality. People dont want to put in the work or wait a couple of weeks/months for some decent progress.
    It is a hot topic for weight loss outside the sporting world, and thats where i have heard about it more. Young women buying this online, with horrific results.
    I actually wouldnt be too familiar with that side of things in the world of bodybuilding, possibly because i compete in the Bikini category which is just totally different.

I think people need to think of the risks, you only get one body and you only get one life.

Dnp has become the ulti baddie in body building lately, What's your opinion on it

• Advertisement

The negative comments come from men outside the world of bodybuilding and sports, usually regarding the muscly strong look or about being to lean. That they dont find it attractive etc.
    Funny i dont remember asking them heehee :)

You said you get the odd negative comment from males; do these mostly come from guys who don't look like they lift or do you get negative comments from male bodybuilders?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Thanks for that reply. I'm looking forward to seeing how things progress for you.

PS - should you not be in bed sleeping? You were answering at 2am this morning too. Guessing you are in the off season
    :D

Every meal i eat protein, veg and carbs. Protein like Chicken, White fish, Turkey, Steak, Eggs, Tuna steaks, Salmon. Carbohydrates like sweet potatoes, Oats, rice, brown pasta, white potatoes, cous cous, quinoa and a wide variety of vegetables. I eat every 2.5-3 hours using all the foods above. I drink about 6litres of water a day, as well as herbal teas and a enjoy regular black coffees.
    The diet changes based on the goals at hand, in offseason my diet is more varied and am allowed cheat meals etc. Getting ready for a show the diet is much more restricted and a lot of the foods mentioned above would be cut out. Its all pretty precise but always eating enough for maximum function.

Can you give an example of what you would eat on a typical day?

Nope i have a show in three weeks in Malaga Spain called the Olympia Amateur Spain.
    In full competition diet mode, usually i am in bed my 11 latest.
    Just enjoying all of the questions, have never done anything like this before and i am glad i did it

Thanks for that reply. I'm looking forward to seeing how things progress for you.

PS - should you not be in bed sleeping? You were answering at 2am this morning too. Guessing you are in the off season
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭ejabrod

No question Kelly, just wanted to say that you're really pretty :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Todd Gack

Do you ever find the diet boring? e.g. lack of sauces as you said

• Registered Users Posts: 17 otter13

What is your opinion on boob jobs in the bikini class? Is it necessary in your opinion? I think the smaller more natural looking breasts (real or fake) are much more suitable but many pros are setting a standard that requires two boulders pushed right up. I would love to think it wouldn't effect placings but it seems part of the uniform in the bigger shows

Hahahahaha thank you, i need to come to boards more often :)

ejabrod wrote: »
    No question Kelly, just wanted to say that you're really pretty :)

Yes it can be very very boring. I find the best way to get through it is by keeping yourself busy and ALWAYS have your food prepared for the day.
    This really helps you avoid cheating. You do start to get use to it though, and when you start your off season you really enjoy the little things like sauces or oils and of course CHEAT MEALS :)

Todd Gack wrote: »
    Do you ever find the diet boring? e.g. lack of sauces as you said

That is a great question, yes breast implants are very very common in the Bikini class. It is actually very common in all of the female classes within bodybuilding. When you compete your body fat drops extremely low, which means any size or volume you may have is going to disappear. There is no way around it, breasts are made of fat and fat has to go.
    A lot of girls are left feeling very insecure when this happens and usually consider surgery.
    The reality is bodybuilding is about body proportions and having breast implants really adds to the aesthetics of the body. That being said it is a personal choice and nobody is expected to have them. The beautiful Phoebe McVey is an Irish bikini athlete who has taken 1st place with no implants and with implants. If you are the best you are the best.

otter13 wrote: »
    What is your opinion on boob jobs in the bikini class? Is it necessary in your opinion? I think the smaller more natural looking breasts (real or fake) are much more suitable but many pros are setting a standard that requires two boulders pushed right up. I would love to think it wouldn't effect placings but it seems part of the uniform in the bigger shows

Dominos pizza Mighty Meats and extra extra extra cheese
    Hamburger with blue cheese and onion rings, instead of the bun two glazed donuts
    Pop Tarts
    Galaxy chocolate and a cup of Barry's tea
    Tub of Nutella
    Brownies
    Newyork style cheesecake
    Vanilla custard brioche bread by Aldi
    Chicken wings from Tribeca
    As much american candy and chocolate as possible
    And to finish it all off another cup of barry's tea

RedXIV wrote: »
    Competition is over, you spent 3 months eating clean, training like a demon. No further competitions on the horizon.

Its time for a legendary cheat day, what's on the menu? :D

I tend to do mostly isolated movements, i have no use for hitting a whopper 1 rep. That is building strength not developing the body the way i need it to.
    I train 6 days a week, twice a day. Combination of cardio and weight training. I rest on Sunday. It is impossible to maintain a competition figure all year round, being that lean is just for shows. I tend to put on about 4-5kg in my off season. I never dirty bulk ever, dont get me wrong there has been times where i have gotten very relaxed in my off season and put on some unwanted weight. This is not ideal as it gives me more work to do when getting ready for a show. I do like to eat more in my off season, as this allows me to lift heavier and grow more muscle. I just tend to eat more red meat, white potatoes and just more variety in my foods. Still super clean i just allow myself more cheat meals in this time. Yes i deplete carbs coming up to a show, for this show i had to cut them three weeks out from the show. Ketosis is a super fat burner, but extremely tough. Each person is TOTALLY different, and this isnt always necessary. Each athlete has a different approach coming up to a show, which is decided by their well experienced coach who understands the persons body and how it reacts to foods. On the day of the show i re introduced carbs eating like rice cakes and Dates.

1.What are your 1 rep max lifts for the compound movements.
    2. What does a typical week in the gym look like
    3.Do you attempt to maintain the same physique year round, or do you do like some other: i.e a dirty bulk followed by cutting.
    4. Do you practice carb depletion and loading before a show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

You have amazing dedication and commitment to your sport Kelly, even as somebody who doesn't have any real interest in bodybuilding I can recognize that fact. Doing all this work and prep for competitions, while still not being "full-time" deserves nothing but our respect and admiration

Thank you it is very much appreciated. As you can imagine Ireland is behind in everything, so for now anybody who is involved in bodybuilding is doing it on an amateur level and as a hobby. Who knows with the current growth and interest in the fitness and health industry, maybe there will be more room for professional bodybuilders here in Ireland and more opportunities.

Wang King wrote: »
    You have amazing dedication and commitment to your sport Kelly, even as somebody who doesn't have any real interest in bodybuilding I can recognize that fact. Doing all this work and prep for competitions, while still not being "full-time" deserves nothing but our respect and admiration

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Kelly do you think the sport of body building healthy? What I mean by that is, your time and energy is spent in the pursuit of this one thing which comes at the expense of a more balanced life. I've seen this in other sports and although it makes for great athletes, it doesnt make for healthy, happy people(which doesnt mean sitting around eating dougnuts either).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 GimmeG

Hi Kelly, Do you get much positive attention from men or are they more intimidated these days?

To be honest i get a lot more attention from women, as in a lot more interactions, comments and support from the female sex. Which is super, i love when women support each other and build each other up. Back when i worked as a model specifically with skysports i got a lot of negative attention from men, very derogatory and sexualised comments. Which wasnt very enjoyable, i didnt over think these comments and just focused on the job and promoting myself. Being in the public eye you are always prepared for the nasty comments, and just accept it is part of the job. For every negative comment you usually get 10 positive, which makes it much easier to digest. I have noticed a big change in peoples opinions, which is amazing. The male support i have at the minute is also really positive, a lot of guys very curious about the training and diet and always seem to portray a lot of respect for me as an athlete.

Im loving the change and that people are actually seeing me for who i am, my work ethic and my determination. Rather than just how i look or as a person they THINK they know from a Tv show
    GimmeG wrote: »
    Hi Kelly, Do you get much positive attention from men or are they more intimidated these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Do you miss the curves?

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

Do you drink any alcohol?

Great question and you are very right. Bodybuilding is an extreme sport that requires 100% dedication. Unfortunately it does mean sacrificing a lot of things like a social life, nights out etc. This apply's to all sports, athletes strive to be the best and thats what makes them happy. Living a healthy balanced lifestyle is so important, but to compete and be the best you have to apply yourself. The sacrifices are always worth it when you love what you do.
    For me personally setting massive goals give my life worth, it excites me and gives me a kick. Some people live for the weekends, and that is ok too. We all have different ideas of what balance is, for me without a goal and a challenge my life has no balance.

That being said all bodybuilders that i know enjoy a more balanced life in their off season, more time for friends and dinners. During competition season your time is more restricted, so i guess that means you only have time for the really important people in your life. Your time is more precious so you make that time count. You also just have to find alternative ways to socialize, you dont have to drink or eat to see your friends and family.

The majority of people see balance as a moderate amount of dedication,with plenty of time for nights out. Bodybuilders have a different view, they need to push themselves and are goal orientated. Yes a social life is important and everyone needs one, but doing something special and unique is worth the sacrifices that most people think they need.

tunguska wrote: »
    Kelly do you think the sport of body building healthy? What I mean by that is, your time and energy is spent in the pursuit of this one thing which comes at the expense of a more balanced life. I've seen this in other sports and although it makes for great athletes, it doesnt make for healthy, happy people(which doesnt mean sitting around eating dougnuts either).

When i am getting ready for a show i never drink any alcohol, that usually means 20 weeks.
    In my off season i enjoy a casual drink every now and again. Very partial to a pint of Guinness in that time. To be honest alcohol would be the last thing on my mind, it just isnt an essential. Ireland is the only place where not drinking for one weekend deserves a merit. I have gone on many nights out and family parties where i just drank water, you dont need alcohol to have a good time.

Im crazy enough as it is ;)

Mr_Muffin wrote: »
    Do you drink any alcohol?

You mean bodyfat ??

No i dont miss having extra bodyfat, in fact since i have started bodybuilding i have more curves than ever. My legs are probably double the size that they use to be, my bum is WAAAAYYYY bigger. I have big round shoulders and a more developed back. So in theory i am way more curvy now since taking up bodybuilding.

I have never felt more curvy, sexy and womanly than i do right now.
    Before bodybuilding i was skinny fat, lucky enough to be naturally skinny but carrying more bodyfat than i needed too and everything was as flat as a pancake. Now i am full, curvy and strong.

MY CURVE GAME IS STRONGER THAN EVER !!
    Do you miss the curves?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

The majority of people see balance as a moderate amount of dedication,with plenty of time for nights out. Bodybuilders have a different view, they need to push themselves and are goal orientated. Yes a social life is important and everyone needs one, but doing something special and unique is worth the sacrifices that most people think they need.

Cool. You actually come across as really intelligent, Im surprised at how articulate your answers have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Do you class yourself as a celebrity?
    As I was in a Ladies loo in a South Dublin pub one time; there was a queue of women waiting for the next available cubicle and you proceeded to skip the queue, saying to your friend "Do they know who I am?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,915 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

tunguska wrote: »
    Cool. You actually come across as really intelligent, Im surprised at how articulate your answers have been.

That's what I'd call a back handed compliment! :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement