Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now Ye're Talking - To Body Builder Kelly Donegan

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Mars Bar wrote: »
    That's what I'd call a back handed compliment! :pac:

No its an out and out compliment. Although I can see why you'd say that to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

Fair play to ya. Your sport seem like one of those things that only 1% of people would have the mental ability to succeed in and luckily your in the 1% of the 1% that win (My statistics are based on random numbers from my head....). Congrats.

Question:
    When it comes to the tough days that your wrecked and just want to take a nap instead of training, how do you push through and how do you recognize when you actually need to rest? I suppose this comes under failing to plan correctly....

Injuries. Do you just bull through pig headed or are you sensible and let it rest properly?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Here's Kelly at the recent IBBF European Championship in Spain last weekend:
    349551.jpg

Who is the blonde on the left in the background?

Also, OP. Do you think you'll stick to bikini/fitness competitions or would you ever consider competing in female bodybuilding/obtaining a physique similar to the likes of Dana Linn?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭I'm body builder Kelly Donegan AMA

No i certainly do not class myself as a celebrity, im the most down to earth girl you will ever meet. I also would never ever ever ever ever in a million years say 'Do they know who i am'. Thats really embaressing, i know i am very uncool but not that uncool.
    I am just a girl who just happened to take part in a TV show a long time ago and works in the world of Media. I have actually seen this particular comment come up millions of times. I did skip the que as my friend was in the que, a few drinks were had. I think the girl who started this rumour was annoyed a skipped, but lets be fair we all do it ;)
    Bold Kelly. PLUS if i ever said that to my friends they would probably slap me across the face for being a doucher

:)

fussyonion wrote: »
    Do you class yourself as a celebrity?
    As I was in a Ladies loo in a South Dublin pub one time; there was a queue of women waiting for the next available cubicle and you proceeded to skip the queue, saying to your friend "Do they know who I am?"

I actually have no idea, there were something like 30 girls in my class all from different corners of Europe. I didnt know any of the girls i shared the stage with

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

So Kelly.
    Any tips on how I apologise to my wife after showing her the opening picture and saying, "wow! Isn't she gorgeous!"

Besides that, thanks for your posts here, very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Heat_Wave

What was secondary school like for you? Were you ever bullied?

I actually have no idea, there were something like 30 girls in my class all from different corners of Europe. I didnt know any of the girls i shared the stage with

Ah well!

Just saw this...sooo, need a spot on dem squats?

Great question, and yes i have LOADS of bad days. Usually it just comes down to exhaustion, sometimes i am so tired i struggle to get out of bed. Those days are always the toughest, and the ones you really have to dig deep to get through.
    I guess what pushes me on those days is the thought of the competition, you know every athlete you are competing against is going to be busting their asses to be the best. So you cant slack off. Standing on stage and thinking 'Man i shouldn't have taken that day off' just isnt worth it. You want to know you have done everything possible, so you can look back on your prep with no regrets. Dont get me wrong competition preps are a roller coaster ride full of highs and lows, some days you have really bad workouts, some days you have great ones. Its just about staying focused and taking the good with the bad.

I am really lucky i have a great coach who holds my health and well being as a priority.
    Last year i had a really nasty fall, and it was him that made me take two weeks off to rest and recover. I suppose there is a difference with needing to take time off due to injury etc compared with taking time of just because you are tired. Everything is monitored, and rest is a huge part of bodybuilding. Without the appropriate rest and sleep you cant develop, rest is ESSENTIAL in building muscle.

fizzypish wrote: »
    Fair play to ya. Your sport seem like one of those things that only 1% of people would have the mental ability to succeed in and luckily your in the 1% of the 1% that win (My statistics are based on random numbers from my head....). Congrats.

Question:
    When it comes to the tough days that your wrecked and just want to take a nap instead of training, how do you push through and how do you recognize when you actually need to rest? I suppose this comes under failing to plan correctly....

Injuries. Do you just bull through pig headed or are you sensible and let it rest properly?

No i was never bullied in secondary school. I did grow up with eczema which hugely effected me in my very early teenage years. I was very insecure and lacked confidence, and wouldnt have considered myself pretty in any way. I think because of this i became a bit of a wild teenager and always managed to get myself into trouble. As a teen i would definitely say i didnt know who i was and had no idea of my identity. I really enjoyed school though, i had great friends and really enjoyed extra curricular activities. I was a member of my school choir for six years, also a member of the school hockey team. My biggest passion was art, and went on to study Graphic design and printmaking in college. This is where i really came into my own.

Heat_Wave wrote: »
    What was secondary school like for you? Were you ever bullied?

• Advertisement

Oh i missed the last part of the question. No i dont think i will ever progress to a different category within female bodybuilding. I have massive respect for athletes like Dana Linn Bailey, i can only imagine the amount of work these ladies have to put in. I really enjoy the Bikini category, as a Gemini i have a bit of a split personality. One side of me is this total tomboy and the other side is more confident and glamorous . These characteristics really work within the Bikini category, grinder in the gym and bubbly lady on stage.
    Why change something that works so well.

Also, OP. Do you think you'll stick to bikini/fitness competitions or would you ever consider competing in female bodybuilding/obtaining a physique similar to the likes of Dana Linn?

Flowers always work :)

Taltos wrote: »
    So Kelly.
    Any tips on how I apologise to my wife after showing her the opening picture and saying, "wow! Isn't she gorgeous!"

Besides that, thanks for your posts here, very interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Good starting point. Thanks again for sharing here, really interesting view into body building and the positive impact on self esteem.

Its just another excuse lazy people make to comfort themselves, because they dont have the discipline to follow through with a diet plan.
    Well done on working so hard coming up to your wedding, i bet your really surprised yourself. We all have so much potential and hidden strength, its just about applying yourself.

Tigger wrote: »
    i agree

i've worked out all my life but there is a difference between working out and strict training
    i did a structured get up early, work out twice a day, eat strictly to plan for 13 weeks coming into my wedding (i was mid 30's at the time and i'm male) and friends were asking me was i on steroids
    i agree 100% that 8-10 weeks with real training and real nutrition and sleep can make a huge difference

Would genuinely love to know why you are so surprised ?
    I think people tend to assume people on reality TV and who work as a model have no brains.
    I dont take it personally, as i realize people can only take things at face value. They can only process the information they are given, and make an opinion on that.
    This was one of my biggest reasons for taking part in this discussion. Ive really enjoyed the chance to share a bit of myself :)

tunguska wrote: »
    Cool. You actually come across as really intelligent, Im surprised at how articulate your answers have been.

I dont squat very often hahaha

Ah well!

Smdh!

One last question: Zyzz or Jeff Seid?

Can i pick Steve Cook is that an option ?

Smdh!

One last question: Zyzz or Jeff Seid?

Can i pick Steve Cook is that an option ?

Nah, Zyzz or Seid is the age old question!

A bit young for me ;)

Nah, Zyzz or Seid is the age old question!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

If you don't squat often, what exercises do you do to work on your butt?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,902 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Well done Kelly. You look great and I admire your work ethic and the dedication you have put in to all of this.

A few questions from me:
    Do you have a normal day job? Do you find it difficult to work your meals in and training etc. around your job?
    Also you mentioned sleep before. How much sleep do you think a person needs and why is it so important?
    Water: You drink six litres a day! I try to drink 3, but find I'm always going to the loo! Do you get used to drinking more water?
    Thanks again and all the best in your career.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Hi Kelly, what are your long term goals? And do you have any sponsorship deals in place, as you mentioned earlier all your supplements are the same brand etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Heat_Wave

Where is nikita now? What is the doing with herself? Do you keep in contact with any of them?

Glute bridges
    Donkey kick backs
    Cable kick backs
    Hyper extensions
    Reverse Hyper extensions
    Good Mornings
    Kick backs using smith machine
    Kick backs using lying leg curl machine
    Hip thrusts using seated leg curl machine
    Lunges

I like to get creative

Hazys wrote: »
    If you don't squat often, what exercises do you do to work on your butt?

No i dont work a typical 9-5 job, none the less i still have to prepare my food daily as well as planning my two workouts around my day. I prepare every single day no matter what, that way i always covered. Organisation is key !

A successful fitness plan has three crucial components - Diet - Training - Rest.
    All three are essential for the body, especially when you seek improvements.
    The body needs time to repair and grow, muscle is like a delicate flower that you have to care for. Actually that's a terrible example haha, you have to tear the muscle fibers during intense exercise, fuel the body with nutrition and rest the body for growth. A balanced programme will include all three elements. I think everybody should sleep at least 7 hours a day, i always sleep around 7-8 hours a night. If i had time to nap during the day i would, but unfortunately i dont.

Yes i think your body adapts to the water intake, especially when you are training so much. Your body really craves the hydration, i find the more i drink the more i need it.
    3 liters of water a day is super, i like to take in my fluids in a variety of ways including herbal teas, water and also very partial to regular black coffees

Well done Kelly. You look great and I admire your work ethic and the dedication you have put in to all of this.

A few questions from me:
    Do you have a normal day job? Do you find it difficult to work your meals in and training etc. around your job?
    Also you mentioned sleep before. How much sleep do you think a person needs and why is it so important?
    Water: You drink six litres a day! I try to drink 3, but find I'm always going to the loo! Do you get used to drinking more water?
    Thanks again and all the best in your career.

I am currently working on a big project which is being released this year in the area of health and fitness, i am pretty excited about its launch and has been long coming. Watch this space ;)

Yes i am sponsored by Canadian sports supplement company Muscletech. One of the biggest brands globally. Its amazing working with such a well respected brand in the industry, that has such a big focus on scientific research.

Hi Kelly, what are your long term goals? And do you have any sponsorship deals in place, as you mentioned earlier all your supplements are the same brand etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Hi Kelly

After a strenuous day of body building i'm sure you get pretty hungry, on that note, what's your favourite type of cheese?

No i dont have many interactions with the rest of the cast of the show anymore, not for any particular reason. We have all moved on since then, and have always been very different people with our own lives and friends.

Heat_Wave wrote: »
    Where is nikita now? What is the doing with herself? Do you keep in contact with any of them?

• Advertisement

BLUE CHEESE

The shame :/

scudzilla wrote: »
    Hi Kelly

After a strenuous day of body building i'm sure you get pretty hungry, on that note, what's your favourite type of cheese?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement